Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 11 Sep 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

For a white Chablis is my favourite but if it is not on offer I go for Pinot. For red Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Barbera d'Asti is lovely but I also get the M&S Puglia when I get their meal deal. As for bubbly I don't like Cava or Prosecco but I love champagne and have some Bolly and Veuve Clicquot which I got for presents but having had chance to have yet, I also have a bottle of Dom Perringon which I was given for a special Birthday and am saving for one particular special occasion .
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Leopards leap merlot is a favourite of mine .
Buy it from the Wine supermarket in Calais . Super cheap for 12 bottles
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
The Reds...

since digging out the wine to photograph I now realise how little red I have in stock. As the girls all prefer white I have been buying that lately.

The classic TRIVENTO Argentinian Malbec. You cannot go wrong with this with read meat or spicy food. Rich tannins and plumb flavours from thin skinned grapes. Even more robust than a Cabinet Sauvignon, they need more sun so grow well in Argentina in the high altitudes. £6 a bottle in Morrisons.

BARON DE LEY RESERVA Rioja. This was a gift and I haven't opened it yet. From the label...
Ruby-red colour. On the nose it surprises you with its powerful fruity character mingling with reminders of its noble ageing, traces of coconut, toffee and attractive wild herb nuances. After a powerful attack the sensation of soft, supple volume gradually extends across the palate to end with a long finish. In the aftertaste you are again reminded of the red-berry fruit mingled with hints of wild herbs. Around £10 per bottle in Costco.

Hardys Stamp from Australia. A Shiraz Cabernet blend that is reasonably priced. You can sometimes pick this up in Cotsco in a case of six that works out to about £4.80 per bottle. At that price you can't go wrong. The balance is good between the heavy tannins of the cabinet and the lighter shiraz.

COTES-DU-RHONE
I think everyone must have had a bottle at some point. Rhone valley wines are regarded as some of the best France produce. A robust but yet fruity wine. Slightly less alcohol than the new world wines. Around £9 a bottle.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Another French Rhone wine made from Grenache grapes. Well respected and a lot higher priced. I only buy this when there is a deal on in the supermarkets. Makes a good gift too. Around £15 a bottle.

Finally from my diminished collection of reds is my all time favourite and go to red wine. Hence I only now have a single bottle left. Hardys Crest. Australian Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz and Merlot blend. Higher alcohol than the French counterparts and the Australian sun brings a lot of life into this wine. Perfect for dishes with chilli in them as the tannins cut through the spice perfectly. Around £5 a bottle in Morrisons offers.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

I have always liked New Zeland (Marlborough Sauvignon blanc). In fact they were the first wines I genuinely liked instead of choking down to look more grown up Sadly, I love wine now!

I love cava, prosecco and champagne, but they sometimes give me heartburn now

I like most medium or dry whites but not chardonnay. Pouilly Fume and Sancerre (I think) are both wines I have loved but are dearer than my usual budget!

Don't know much about reds but like most of them. A friend started me on Malbec and i like that.

I usually buy based on price, anything from about 3.50 - 8 pounds (cant find the pound sign on this keyboard!), 5-6 pounds on average I guess...
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Here's mine.

I wish!
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
The Whites...

As I have said before Chardonnay is not my cup of tea. I do like the Sauvignon Blancs and the Chenin Blancs though.

Stark-Conde Chenin Blanc from Costco works out around £5 a bottle in a case of 6. It is crisp and floral without any lingering sourness.

Oxford Landing Australian Sauvignon Blanc. As I love Australian wine this cheaper Sauvignon is worth buying when on offer. Quite often Sainsbury's do a 25% off any mixed 6 bottles which is not to be missed.

One of Sainsbury's own chef Chenin Blanc's. You can definitely tell it is a cheap wine but it can be around £3.50 a bottle if you time it right. At that price it is cheaper than a pint of beer.

A South African Chenin Blanc. Generally a SA wine will be a little sharper than Australian but still doesn't leave any bitter after taste.

Another SA Chenin Blanc. Not tried this one yet but I expect it to be similar to the one before.

Onto a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. This one is very fruity as you would expect from Chile. But also dry and crisp. Nice citrus notes too.

The final Sauvignon Blanc is an Australian McGuignan Classic. Around £5.50 a bottle. So cheap and light. McGuignan do many varieties from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz, Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay. They are all reasonable wines at a cheap price.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have a chiller for the white but the red goes on a rack. I don't really drink red and rose. Recently I've been drinking Whispering Angel rose and Miraval. If I'm drinking white I'll have a Marlborough Sauvignon, preferably saint clair or jacksons estate.
I buy form Costco or Majestic

Edited at 06:02 PM.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I'm super impressed that the posters on this thread have such a good knowledge of wines! I know nothing!

Here, my husband drinks red, mainly Cabernet Sauvignon - and I drink white.
I don't even chill it!

If I had a wine cellar it would be full of Moscato (I like the Barefoot one best) Moscatel De Valencia and bottles of any local Moscatel we bring back from Portugal, golly they make some fabulous stuff over there - like dessert in a glass!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have to add that I have recently tried a white Rioja which was really lovely. I'll post the name soon
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
I drink white.