Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Sep 17, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile Hotels in NY with family suites

Have no holiday plans for 2018 but we keep coming back to the idea of NY if the price is right. With cash and my Avios points I can get the return flights for around £1,200 for four of us for next August which seems quite reasonable. DS will be 17 and DD14 so a room with two double beds will be out of the question, but would like us all in the same room as two separate rooms will probably work out expensive. Have read excellent reviews on here about Broadway plaza and Radio city but neither shown with availability for end of August yet and want to try and work out accommodation costs to see if holiday is viable option. Also really need advice on costs of tickets/airport transfers, subways and food. Enjoyed reading ilovejack's report which has given us a start but would really appreciate other views as wouldn't want to go and then be watching every dime!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Nat25
Excited about Disney

We are planning this next year too but hopefully in October for dd 16th birthday ds will be 11 so the more room the better, my dh are going in November this year so may look at a few ideas when there. I looked at staybridge suites but not sure so would be good also to get others suggestions😊
California San Clemente 2009, Florida Sunset Lakes 2011, Florida Windsor Palms 2013 & 2014. New York Nov 2014 OMG Florida Again Xmas 2014. Florida Windsor Palms 2016 , July 17 Highlands Reserve/Royal, New York Nov 17
Nat25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Ideally would like to pay maximum £2,500 for flights, accommodation with breakfast and airport taxi, but to be honest have no idea what we'd have to pay when out there so probably not in the best position to book anything at the mo, but for first time in years, we actually have no set idea on what we want to do for our next family holiday, so looking at loads of different options
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Not sure of the hotel but I think it could be Bryant Park. I read a few of Moosha's NY trip reports when I think she had a enough room for kids, they are younger, in a family style room.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Not sure of price range will suit with flights but we have just come back from NY.
We stayed at the Affinia Gardens. It looks a bit out of the way if you look on a map, but actually not because of the proximity of the subway. Really large rooms. Not 4/5 * as looking slightly tired, but def 3/4. The rooms are also in the process of being upgraded. We went for space over stars. But staff and hotel team were fab.

We had two separate rooms (because of a booking snaffle). But either would probably suit your needs on its own - one would have done for us.

1 was a junior suite - very large (for NY) two double beds and a double sleeper sofa / lounge area (kitchen, bathroom etc) - 19yo on sleeper sofa said it was very comfy.

The other was a one bedroom suite - one large bedroom with two large double beds and a separate lounge with a double sleeper sofa. kitchen bathroom etc. We also had a rollaway in the lounge and a terrace.

They also have a two bedroom suite (book direct with hotel) - a double double and a king and a lounge with double sleeper sofa.

BA do good fly/hotel deals with the Affinia chain. With teens important to know wifi good!

No breakfast, but we had a kitchen and a 7 eleven around the corner if needed. tbh we were up and out so early most days that we tended to eat on the hoof and have a bigger lunch.

Mine were 19/17/12 and they loved it. Thought they wouldn't and a bit of - "but what will we do" before we went. They want to go back.

We stayed 5 nights 4 full days and a great BA package.

Edited at 10:35 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Mobile

Have out looked at Doubletree Suites Times Square? Literally on Times Square, bedroom with 2 doubles or one king and sofabed(double) in the living room. Stayed there 3 times, fab accommodation and location!
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
kess
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We have just stayed at courtyard by Marriott midtown east... it was fantastic!
The location was fab and the room had 2 double beds and a sofa bed too... perfect for us being a family of 5!
We too didn't want seperate rooms and it was really spacious and reasonable priced.
We booked through hotels.com
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We stayed at Home2 Suites on Long Island City. Two minutes to the subway and three stops to Manhatten! It included breakfast and the room also had a fridge and microwave.

Two doubles and a sofa bed. We had a weekly pass for the subway which was $32 each.

See my trippy for more details

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 06:07 AM  
Link to this Post
wedinflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

wedinflorida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

We stayed at home wood suites by Hilton in midtown and going back in a few weeks. They have rooms that have two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. Rooms have a small kitchen area with good size fridge, which was handy. The hotel also provide free breakfast and cookies in the afternoon. They also have free light meals on weekdays but can't comment on those as we were always out exploring.
wedinflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone, loads of options for me to have a look at. Looked at hotels on booking.com for pricing ideas and often only the two double bed option came up, so also put in that we had three children which came up with the two double bed and sofa options!