Notices

Old 12 Sep 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Firewok
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Do the Floridians want us there?

I have been struggling with this since the threat of Irma and have been scouring the news to try and get a feeling of how the people of Florida must feel. Cynically I think the Travel Companies, if they are able to deliver the terms of the contract, will fly us out no matter (and understand the need to get planes out to help people home). I am a first timer to Orlando so don't have the experience of how the aftermath of Irma will be viewed by those living through it.

My question is do the people who live in Florida, who probably have a whole lot more to think about than looking after tourists, need more visitors turning up right now? We are happy to take it on the chin and cancel if necessary. I am just looking to understand how people who live, work and own property out there are feeling when our holiday is so insignificant in the scheme of things.

Flying on Friday and staying on I Drive.
Firewok is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
lickerofthetoe
Imagineer

I'm sure half will and half won't.

A lot will want us there, after all, it's a lot of people's income that relies on tourism. Everything from car hire, restaurants, airport staff, hotels, parks the list goes on.

I'm sure some won't and that's completely understandable.

DLP - 2003 Santa Fe
DLP - 2010 Hotel Cheyenne
Disney Art of Animation Resort - Sept 2012.
NYC - Feb 2014
Dibb villa @ Lindfields Sept 2014

** Wedding, Dreamy Corner 22.9.17 **
NYC Feb 2014 Mini Trip Report
Scouse meets Mouse Pre trippy Sept 2012 here ©
Scouse meets Mouse Trip Report Sept 2012 here (in the making) ©
lickerofthetoe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

We contemplated the moral dilemma of us going out there for a holiday when people's lives and homes have been devastated.

Workers in the tourist industry will probably not have been paid during the time their workplace was closed due to Irma. They also rely heavily on tips from tourists to provide them with a living wage. Based on those thoughts, we decided to go ahead with our trip.

Luckily our villa is undamaged and still has power. Our lovely Dibb villa owner (owens5558) kept us updated as soon as she received news.

The only fly in the ointment at the moment is the flight. Originally we were due to fly on Sat 9th. We rescheduled to Wednesday 13th. Now there is a question mark over that flight too. TC have just advised me to check back this evening to confirm if still on It didn't sound hopeful!

Deb
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
lickerofthetoe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grottyrotty View Post
We contemplated the moral dilemma of us going out there for a holiday when people's lives and homes have been devastated.

Workers in the tourist industry will probably not have been paid during the time their workplace was closed due to Irma. They also rely heavily on tips from tourists to provide them with a living wage. Based on those thoughts, we decided to go ahead with our trip.

Luckily our villa is undamaged and still has power. Our lovely Dibb villa owner (owens5558) kept us updated as soon as she received news.

The only fly in the ointment at the moment is the flight. Originally we were due to fly on Sat 9th. We rescheduled to Wednesday 13th. Now there is a question mark over that flight too. TC have just advised me to check back this evening to confirm if still on It didn't sound hopeful!

Deb
Wonder why they're contemplating cancelling your flight. Virgins flights are starting to depart from down south.

Really hope they don't cancel for you

DLP - 2003 Santa Fe
DLP - 2010 Hotel Cheyenne
Disney Art of Animation Resort - Sept 2012.
NYC - Feb 2014
Dibb villa @ Lindfields Sept 2014

** Wedding, Dreamy Corner 22.9.17 **
NYC Feb 2014 Mini Trip Report
Scouse meets Mouse Pre trippy Sept 2012 here ©
Scouse meets Mouse Trip Report Sept 2012 here (in the making) ©
lickerofthetoe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lickerofthetoe View Post
Wonder why they're contemplating cancelling your flight. Virgins flights are starting to depart from down south.

Really hope they don't cancel for you
Thanks Shelley.

Not sure what the logic is but if tomorrow's flight is cancelled, we won't be rescheduling again. Just a watch and wait game again.

Deb
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Tourism becomes a necessary evil to communities no matter where they are in the world. I know well how Cornish people refer to summer tourists as "emmets" (ants) but also realise that the money that comes in during the summer months has to tide them over the winter.
WDW is a fact and its not going away any time soon. It employs thousands - many of them waiting staff who rely heavily on tips. Likewise the surrounding trade of restaurants, other theme parks, attractions etc are a vital part of the economy. During curfews and evacuations people wouldn't have been paid.
I think we need to recognise that for some, they have their lives and homes to put back in order but things will return to normal. Tourists will still be expected and welcomed.

Edited at 11:27 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
RandomBunny
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Thanks for making this thread. We're due to fly tomorrow and I was wondering the same thing. If we do get to fly, would we be welcome. Tips and income are probably much wanted right now!
RandomBunny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYPRINCESS5
Helping Minnie

I have just had a look at glasgow airport website and it states the TC flight has left to head to MCO! hopefully thats the start!

PROUD DVC OWNER AT THE POLYNESIAN
DISNEYPRINCESS5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DISNEYPRINCESS5 View Post
I have just had a look at glasgow airport website and it states the TC flight has left to head to MCO! hopefully thats the start!
This makes me happy, we are flying with TC from Glasgow on Sunday
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYPRINCESS5
Helping Minnie

we are a week on sunday! Was feeling so stressed earlier! But this has calmed me ever so slightly!

PROUD DVC OWNER AT THE POLYNESIAN
DISNEYPRINCESS5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List