Notices

Old 12 Sep 17, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Burny Sizz
slightly serious Dibber

Florida relies on tourism. No tourism then unfortunately a lot of Floridans would move elsewhere for employment.
Burny Sizz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
owens5558
VIP Dibber

owens5558's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by grottyrotty View Post
Thanks, Shelley.

Looks like the flight today is slightly delayed due to relocation of planes, but is still scheduled to depart at 14.05. Feeling a bit more hopeful for tomorrow

Deb
They are boarding now

Penny
owens5558 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Gosh yes, they rely heavily on us to pay their bills.
We flew a few days after 9/11 and there were banners up thanking us for flying and so many people said the same thing to us and shook our hands.
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Seaworldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dismadbrit View Post
Gosh yes, they rely heavily on us to pay their bills.
We flew a few days after 9/11 and there were banners up thanking us for flying and so many people said the same thing to us and shook our hands.
We flew just after 9/11 as well. It did feel wrong, we had cancelled a full holiday with Virgin which they did no questions at all and then decided we were not going to give in to terrorists and went a couple of days later for about 2/3 of the price we paid before.
It was empty out there and every restaurant we went in were so thankful for our business. Anyone who wishes for a real quiet Orlando, trust me, it can be too quiet.

On this occasion i thought the same thing as i did after 9/11. Best thing we can do to support the place we love right now is get out there, be part of things getting back to normal and spend lots of $$ on way overpriced food, drink and merch
Seaworldfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Was speaking to some first responders last night and the thing they were completely flabbergasted about was the holiday companies flying people IN on Thursday onwards when they KNEW Florida was going to be hit.

They said that the idiocy of flying in more people to be put in the line of fire and perhaps take up more rescue service time/shelter space etc after they KNEW it was going to be bad was just unbelievable. And the number of people willing to put themselves and their children in harms way for a holiday was astounding

They want people to turn up - just not right now, not this week, not when all they will hear (from US guests, not so much from UK - thankfully) is that things are in a mess, that they will whinge.

So if you are going, be sure to smile!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Trip
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
They want people to turn up - just not right now, not this week, not when all they will hear (from US guests, not so much from UK - thankfully) is that things are in a mess, that they will whinge.
I disagree, there is no reason why normal life cannot begin to return. Whilst you may have a minority of people that may whinge I would expect the vast majority of any visitors would understand what has just happened and have some level of empathy.

Trying to returning to a state of normality is the best thing that can happen in my opinion.
Trip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Was speaking to some first responders last night and the thing they were completely flabbergasted about was the holiday companies flying people IN on Thursday onwards when they KNEW Florida was going to be hit.

They said that the idiocy of flying in more people to be put in the line of fire and perhaps take up more rescue service time/shelter space etc after they KNEW it was going to be bad was just unbelievable. And the number of people willing to put themselves and their children in harms way for a holiday was astounding

So if you are going, be sure to smile!
Yes, I have read similar words on American Disney social media. They don't want us taking up special resources that could be better used to clean up the devastation.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUKinOrlando
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Trying to returning to a state of normality is the best thing that can happen in my opinion.
Yes... after being in the house since Saturday, I'm almost ready to go back to work tomorrow (it re-opens today)...but don't let anyone hear me say that Today will be spent clearing large tree branches and millions of leaves.
MarkUKinOrlando is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

I must admit it did strike me as a bit odd that some people were scrambling to pull their flight forwards so they could fly into an arriving hurricane!

We're going in a couple of weeks but have only partly made accommodation arrangements. We were thinking of spending a few days on the Gulf coast but I don't know how to read the situation - will many people have cancelled so we'll be welcome, or should we stay out of the way as limited accommodation will be rammed?

Edited at 06:30 PM.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

I live in a busy Lake District town that has been badly flooded a couple of times. We really needed the visitors to return quickly, the local economy relies on it. Florida will be the same.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List