Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 12 Sep 17, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
I suppose that would be acceptable. Just don't try creating it all from the raw ingredients.

Although adding apples to vodka won't really use that many apples up in reality. Unless you want to make a gazillion gallons that is
Erm, don't think so really. I bet I would drink a thimble size in a year then throw it away! Lol... I brought a Cinnabon Vodka back from USA as I like the cake, could stand the vodka so gave it away, my friends hubby thought he had won the lottery, I was just glad to get rid of it...

I think I'd be safer baking (one of my favourite pastimes) or making use of the apples with a main meal idea. Thank you for your thoughts and posts.
mousettes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

These are 2 of my favourite recipes:
Eve's pudding

And Apple Brown Betty, which always reminds me of Cracker Barrel:

I hope you can zoom in on the photos to see the recipes ok.
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
These are 2 of my favourite recipes:
Eve's pudding

And Apple Brown Betty, which always reminds me of Cracker Barrel:

I hope you can zoom in on the photos to see the recipes ok.
I do love an eves pudd... can't make all of it out on the Betty but I will google it too, I get the gist ... Thank you
mousettes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mousettes View Post
I do love an eves pudd... can't make all of it out on the Betty but I will google it too, I get the gist ... Thank you
Sorry about that! They're good old Mary Berry recipes from her Complete Cookbook, if it helps. Xx
Gev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

I also have an abundance of apples. Like you, my freezers are also full at the moment with more apples, blackberries & tomatoes. I am giving some apples away to friends and asking them each to make an apple pie which I can sell at a charity event at the weekend. Do you have any allotments near you? I swap some of my apples with other allotment holders in the village for leeks, potatoes, swede, carrots & honey. I also pack some in a cardboard box & newspapers in the shed & they keep for weeks in the cold shed.
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

We have a similar problem every year with an excess of fruit and no more freezer room. This year, in the spring, we decided to make a concerted effort to use all of last year's crop before the next one came in. Most of our fruit is stored in the garage freezer so it's easily forgotten. In the past we have also supplied the village school with enough apples to give each child one for e few days. Also our village stores has a table outside where people can leave their excess fruit for people to buy with all proceeds to charity.
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Hidden mickey
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
I suppose that would be acceptable. Just don't try creating it all from the raw ingredients.

Phew! Glad you clarified was worried was going to have to get rid of the sloe gin I had started at the weekend 😜
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Quick. Hide the evidence by drinking it all. Nothing to see here ociffer, hic.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katie View Post
I also have an abundance of apples. Like you, my freezers are also full at the moment with more apples, blackberries & tomatoes. I am giving some apples away to friends and asking them each to make an apple pie which I can sell at a charity event at the weekend. Do you have any allotments near you? I swap some of my apples with other allotment holders in the village for leeks, potatoes, swede, carrots & honey. I also pack some in a cardboard box & newspapers in the shed & they keep for weeks in the cold shed.
What a great idea swapping your produce... Also love your friends having apples and helping raise money for charity. My postman was so happy this morning to get such a huge bag of apples, hope his wife or partner is as happy with them!
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by prugone View Post
We have a similar problem every year with an excess of fruit and no more freezer room. This year, in the spring, we decided to make a concerted effort to use all of last year's crop before the next one came in. Most of our fruit is stored in the garage freezer so it's easily forgotten. In the past we have also supplied the village school with enough apples to give each child one for e few days. Also our village stores has a table outside where people can leave their excess fruit for people to buy with all proceeds to charity.
How fabulous to give the school children a piece of fruit but my cooking apples wouldn't be so nice to eat without cooking them lol... I love the store allowing excess to be sold for charity, that's great.