Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 17, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disneyme View Post
This happened to my friend. She was supposed to be flying to Barcelona for a hen do yesterday and received an email the day before

Ryanair have made a few questionable decisions recently. The way in which they auto allocate seats does my head in as they really do go out of their way to split up groups in a bid to make them pay for seats.
Last time I was sat next to a stranger and their partner had been seated next to my OH so we moved around and did a straight swap and after speaking to others, the situation seemed to be the same for most of the people on the plane. I have no objections at all if that is done because the flight is full and they are just filling up single seats but that clearly wasn't the case.
Virgin do this as well, oh and guys while you are dissing Ryanair remind me the cost of reserving a seat on BA club? :angry:

Ryanair have made shocking decisions and this last one cancelling 2% of their flights (so your flight has a 98% chance of going...) over the next 6 weeks is another blunder. Who cares about the 90% punctuality rate anyway.

Edited at 09:07 PM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Joellybum
Apprentice Imagineer

I am hopefully travelling with Ryanair on 1 October. I have been avidly following any info I can on the situation and from some things I've read it appears the real reason for it could be that there has been a mass walkout of staff so they don't have enough pilots & crew. It is absolutely disgusting how they have left people high & dry and pretty much gone to ground. I have friends in Portugal at the moment who found out when they landed that their flight on tues is cancelled and they can't get them home until Friday. They have had to sort their own accommodation etc. All of them are mum's who have families they need to be home for and jobs to go to. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if O'Leary threw the towel in at the end of October - the amount of money they will have to pay out in compensation and to cover expenses will be huge. I can just see that greedy so & so declaring bankruptcy so that he doesn't have to pay out 😡😡😡

Edited at 10:42 PM.
Joellybum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I think you can ask your insurance to cover the costs if your flight is cancelled you should be able to get another flight and the insurance pays.

I need to check my policy as well.

If you travel with a budget airline without any insurance that's asking for trouble.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Gosh hope they are ok as we are flying first time with them next yr!
Old 18 Sep 17, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post

They have shown themselves to be an utterly despicable company many times over the years. Their treatment of disabled passengers (the "wheelchair tax", restrictions on disabled passengers per flight etc) made me decide many years ago that I will never ever fly with this unethical airline again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by 2waterford View Post
I am a supporter of the Ryanair business model, travel by the rules and you travel cheaply,

However I feel the latest fiasco is just a step too far and think from now on I will pay more and use Aer Lingus.

They have announced plans to cancel 50/60 flights a day for the next 6 weeks because of a change in the staff holiday year which has created a backlog in holidays to take.

How disruptive.

I hope their staff had booked ( cancelled ) holiday flights with Ryanair...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mike230652 View Post
I hope their staff had booked ( cancelled ) holiday flights with Ryanair...
Why? What have the staff done to deserve that? They just work for them they don't make decisions.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Joellybum View Post
I am hopefully travelling with Ryanair on 1 October. I have been avidly following any info I can on the situation and from some things I've read it appears the real reason for it could be that there has been a mass walkout of staff so they don't have enough pilots & crew. It is absolutely disgusting how they have left people high & dry and pretty much gone to ground. I have friends in Portugal at the moment who found out when they landed that their flight on tues is cancelled and they can't get them home until Friday. They have had to sort their own accommodation etc. All of them are mum's who have families they need to be home for and jobs to go to. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if O'Leary threw the towel in at the end of October - the amount of money they will have to pay out in compensation and to cover expenses will be huge. I can just see that greedy so & so declaring bankruptcy so that he doesn't have to pay out 😡😡😡
With £1.3 billion profit in 2017 report I think they could cope with a few compensation claims. Perhaps just sell a couple of the 52 new planes they got delivered in 2016/17
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
I think you can ask your insurance to cover the costs if your flight is cancelled you should be able to get another flight and the insurance pays.

I need to check my policy as well.

If you travel with a budget airline without any insurance that's asking for trouble.
For many people there will be the cost of re-arranging or booking extra time in hotels, extra time off work, arranging childcare etc etc. I don't know if these expenses would be covered by travel insurance ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Mobile

When Ryanair announced this Fiasco it was supposed to be 40/50 flights a day. However over the weekend there were over 80 flights a day cancelled.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List