Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Mobile

We were in Orlando in july/Aug and forget the exchange rate i did find it more expensive to eat out there than in the uk. Especially once you factor in the tax and tip, with the size of some of my restaurant bills the expected tip would be enough to pay for another person's meal and 95% of the time the server was just going through the motions but then still expect the 18-20%. We defiantly ate more at counterservice restaurants this year and had a few publix deli take outs (mmmmm publix crispy chicken)and had some really nice meals as the tipping is finally started to grate with me for the first time after visiting annually for the last 20 years.My old argument used to be that the foods cheap so the tip was cheap but the food ain't cheap no more.
Old 17 Sep 17, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
Senor Frogs is a well known tourist rip off joint but I don't understand your Millers total. Are you accepting mandatory tipping and then tipping again?
Mandatory tipping? Unsure what you mean here as Millers don't add a service charge to their bills unless you are in a large group.

Millers is cheap, average mains are around $11-$18 a head, domestic beers around $5 a glass, bucket specials at $10 for 5 Miller lites.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

We just ate at Longhorn tonight and it came to $37.77 for the two of us. I don't drink and OH is driving so we just had soft drinks. Only one course each because that's all we can manage these days (although we had the bread board). I do think eating out has been getting gradually more expensive over the last few years.
Old 18 Sep 17, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Try a meal at Flemings if you want expensive. However, it's worth every cent.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 03:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Sally42
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm in California at the moment and the prices seem to have risen greatly, together with the poor dollar rate.
We've just had 2 burgers, a soft drink and a Pint of Half Dome beer (currently in Yosemite) and it was $48. This was at a small indipendant deli as well.
Off to San Francisco tomorrow so hate to think what we will pay there! McDonalds here we come! X
Sally42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 03:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

Red lobster have all you can eat shrimp deal on at the moment, had a great meal there the other night plus I got a free desert as it was a special occasion. 😀
Old 18 Sep 17, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post

try and eat a meal onsite LOL
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mezza1991
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by myvot View Post
Arrived yesterday from Glasgow. Virgin flight was great. No complaints.

Staying at Avanti Resort for 3 days. Hotel is basic but clean. Not used the pool area today but it seems really nice.

Apart from a few branches from the palm trees lying about here and there you would never have known there was a hurricane (as far as I have seen so far).

Went to Hollywood Studios today. Didn't need a fast pass. Never queued for more than half an hour - even tho some of the rides said 60 minutes.

Bought magic bands in the park. First time using them and they are brilliant. Highly recommended.

Weather was 96 degrees today and no rain 😁

My only gripe so far is I think restaurants are really expensive - and I've only ate out twice! Went to Millers Ale House last night and the bill was $55 for 2 adults. We only shared a cheese flatbread and zingers. I had a cider and hubby had 2 beers.

Today I went to senior Frogs for lunch. Bill came to $60 and we got 2 diet cokes, chicken fajitas and a chilli burrito. Again for what you get I thought it was expensive.

Animal kingdom tomorrow. Canny wait xxxx
Millers Ale House is one of the cheaper restaurants on I-drive..

To get charged $55 dollars for 3 drinks and 2 starters is either wrong or completely outrageous..

Average of $11 dollars per item. surely cant be right..
Mezza1991 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Millers expensive? We enjoy going there. Wait staff usually friendly and each day of the week they have a special offers on food..Shrimp, beef etc. My dh loves trying new beers and always finds something good and bot too pricey.
Perhaps sign up to restaurants to get coupons. Also, check out Living social and Groupon.

$14 for a beer?!?! Wow.

Edited at 10:50 AM.
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I have to agree that the prices in the restaurants over in Florida are now fairly expensive, at least compared to over here. The dollar rate doesn't help either.

If you want cheap, try Denny's or Golden Corral. Or Cici's Pizza.

Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
Millers is cheap, average mains are around $11-$18 a head, domestic beers around $5 a glass, bucket specials at $10 for 5 Miller lites.
So if each person has just a main each and then one has 2 beers and the other has 1 other drink then that comes to approx $55 for 2, with tax and tip added.

That's about £43 for two mains and a couple of drinks. For a chain restaurant, that doesn't sound cheap to me.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List