Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Bit of a result, I have found a pharmacy that will provide the injection version for £15, would happily pay double! The injection is licensed for children 36 months and over, its just a case of finding a pharmacy who will do it as most say adults only. I found mine from the list on the link above. Ds would obviously prefer the nasal version but the healthcare service in charge in our area have not been very helpful up to now. I am finding the pharmacies far better informed! Hope this helps others looking x
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
MickeysGirl
Imagineer

There is one pharmacy on that list near me, well I say near- it's 25 miles away! I've emailed them to see if they still offer the service.

Still waiting for a call back from our surgery, I chased it yesterday and they said I should get a call today!

I wouldn't give her the injection version so hoping either the pharmacy does the nasal spray or the surgery sees sense!

Edited at 11:31 AM.
MickeysGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Its not a matter of the surgery seeing sense its what we are told to do from Public Health etc. I can only order 40% of my eligible under 18s flu spray for the 2-3 year old and at risks under 18. At the moment I cant order any because ordering hasn't gone live yet. The uptake for us is poor at best hence why the ordering is controlled this way. The best place to take this up with is the school nursing team or your local CCG. It was decided centrally who was going to take responsibility for school children. I think the reason behind the school teams doing it is the hope they may capture more children.
Old 19 Sep 17, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

I opted out of having my kids get the flu jab. I know of 5 children last year that were unwell on and off for a couple of months after having it. Mine missed it last year too when it was introduced in the school.

Edited at 04:56 PM.
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
lovesdisney
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I used to be a practice nurse. GP surgerys can NOT give school age children routine vaccines. The school health immunisation team are contracted to do this. Even for home schooled children the school vaccine program is followed and the local area will put on catch up clinics for such children. It is not your GP practices fault.
I know it's frustrating but they have to do it in a logistically way. And there is NO way you can catch flu from having the flu vaccine!
I would say that by having the flu vaccine yourself in essence you are protecting your child
Old 19 Sep 17, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lovesdisney View Post
I used to be a practice nurse. GP surgerys can NOT give school age children routine vaccines. The school health immunisation team are contracted to do this. Even for home schooled children the school vaccine program is followed and the local area will put on catch up clinics for such children. It is not your GP practices fault.
I know it's frustrating but they have to do it in a logistically way. And there is NO way you can catch flu from having the flu vaccine!
I would say that by having the flu vaccine yourself in essence you are protecting your child
Nobody seems to have answered the question, will this years vaccine prevent catching the flu sweeping New Zealand et al this year or is it only the strains floating around last year etc
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
This years flu vaccine will have last years circulating flu strains which haven't changed that much over the years.

Edited at 06:57 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gillybean08 View Post
I do when I get it, not sure if its because I am always low on iron, but it was more because my local pharmacy recommend it this year as they are expecting some nasty strains from New Zealand, I just thought we might as well try our best to stay healthy on holiday since the vaccine is (for adults) so widely available every where
Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
This years flu vaccine will have last years circulating flu strains.
Thanks I thought so but couldn't find any confirmation, the local pharmacist was not quite right in her recommendation!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

This is this years mix
Old 19 Sep 17, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Just to further complicate matters some areas have chosen to order adults quadrivalent vaccines but most trivalent. The latter was advised so will protect against 3 strains. It's a tricky job predicting what the circulating strains will be for the coming year. Some years it's bang on others not so effective.