Notices

Old 31 May 16, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lindasarahlou View Post
Another dibber here flying to Toronto this summer and planning a road trip! Slightly different in that we are doing a rollercoaster tour. Current plan is 1 day in Toronto for CN Tower, then on the road for Darien Lakes, Kings Island (nr Cincinatti), Cedar Point, Waldameer, Niagara Falls-obviously!, and Canada's Wonderland. A very busy 11 day trip.
That's a really cool idea!
Old 3 Jun 16, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

MINI UPDATE:

Realising that we don't have much planned for Toronto after doing the CN Tower, I bought some hop-on-hop-off bus tour tickets today.

The bus departs from near our hotel and does go via the CN Tower, but as we're going a) On a Saturday, and b) In peak season, I think that the queues will be enormous there if we take the bus to it. So we'll cab it there in the morning, then back again and do the bus tour in the afternoon.

It also includes a Harbour cruise which we don't have to do on the same day, so we'll do that on either the day we leave, or the day before (when we drive from Ottawa back to Toronto), as we're staying by the harbour that night.

Less than 2 months now, getting very exciting!
Old 18 Jun 16, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
princesspinky
Excited about Disney

princesspinky's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We did similar trip last year, NY 4 days, flight to Buffalo, Niagara Falls, collected car, Niagara on the Lake, Toronto 2 days, dropped off car, Greyhound bus to Ottawa 2 days, Greyhound to Montreal, Greyhound to Burlington, collected car, drove through White mountains, stayed in wooden lodge and went white water rafting, Ogunquit 4 nights, Boston 2 nights, Cape Cod 2 nights, ferry to Long Island 2 nights, drive to JFK airport, 3 and a half weeks in total! I booked 2 weeks before we went then booked all hotels, cars, buses, ferry, NY tickets (theatre Les Miserables), rafting, Boston Red Sox tickets etc in the next 2 weeks, spent 10 hours a day on the computer. Worked like clockwork, nothing went wrong, all bookings were correct, said I would never put myself under that much stress again but it was worth it!
1997 - WDW & Caribbean Cruise 1998 - DLP 2004 - WDW 2006 - WDW 2008 - WDW 2010 - DLP 2010 - New York + WDW 2012 - WDW 2013 - Vegas, San Fran, LA & San Diego 2014 - Sarasota, Miami, Carribbean Cruise 2015 - New York, Canada, New England, Boston 2016 - WDW
2022 - WDW & Carribbean Cruise & Miami
princesspinky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 16, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Wow sounds amazing!
Old 30 Jun 16, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Not much of an update, but yesterday was the "1 month to go" day, so thought I should write something.

Umm... I've done our ETAs and updated ESTAs (I know we don't need them, but better safe than sorry and all that).

I've got a Travelex Supercard (arrived yesterday) to link to my normal CC, and I'll probably use that for most spends. Of course, now the £ is worthless I also need to find about an extra £200-£300 to make up the shortfall in what my useless British Pounds will buy me... I didn't buy any in advance as I wasn't going to bother taking much cash, as because we're split between Canada and the USA, I don't really know how much of each I'll need. That also rules out FairFX etc. So the plan was a few hundred quid in each currency, and then use credit cards for the rest. There's still a month to go so lets hope that both the country and politicians can avoid doing too much else that's mind-numbingly stupid and the rate might recover a bit. If it doesn't, then whatever. It'll just be even more crap!

A colleague of mine did a smart thing. He needs Euros for his holiday, so the night before the referendum (when it looked like we were remaining) he put a bet of £100 on us leaving, at odds of about 6/1. His logic being if we stay, the rise in currency will cancel out the loss of £100 on the bet, and if we leave, he makes £600 to cover his currency shortfall. Unfortunately, I am not that clever so I didn't think of that!
Old 30 Jun 16, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Mobile

Sounds a great trip and I was thinking about something similar for us this July into August. (we're off to Orlando in mid-August, but I'm fancying a pre-holiday holiday!)

I'll be researching some more today! Cost of flights is the main issue st this point.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 16, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Sounds a great trip and I was thinking about something similar for us this July into August. (we're off to Orlando in mid-August, but I'm fancying a pre-holiday holiday!)

I'll be researching some more today! Cost of flights is the main issue st this point.
Cost of flights is always the issue! Liking the sound of a pre-holiday holiday, to get you in the mood for the main holiday! I wish I had both the money and the annual leave to do that!
Old 30 Jun 16, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Cost of flights is always the issue! Liking the sound of a pre-holiday holiday, to get you in the mood for the main holiday! I wish I had both the money and the annual leave to do that!
I'm voluntarily 'between jobs' but still tied to school holidays.

Virgin Flying Club miles might come to the rescue - there is availability into Chicago. There is into New York too, but hire car costs from there seem to be extortionate at c£1000 for a basic car for two weeks.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 16, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

So, we've blown past the SDD and are currently exactly a week before we go!

Everything is basically planned now. I have a ridiculously obsessive folder, with file pockets containing everything for each individual day. I have got US Dollars and Canadian Dollars, at a rate that would historically be laughed at, but is probably the best it's been over the past month ($1.31 and $1.70 respectively). The pound has taken a nice dive today so I expect our holiday card-based spends will end up being a lot, but I think it'll just be a case of worrying about that when we get back!

I have also booked our Boston Duck Tour, and paid most of the hotels now. The rest are due to be paid over the next couple of days. I have printed so much stuff that I won't need that I should apologise to the trees. Tickets, Accommodation vouchers, directions, insurance policies, you name it, I've printed it.

In more exciting news, we have decided to turn our road trip into a version of The Amazing Race! I know that this show is not that well known over here, but it's very popular in the US. Basically, teams have to race around the world, locating clues and carrying out tasks. We all watch this show as a family, so I have created clues using some templates that I bought online, and put them into envelopes like the ones they use (the iconic, tear-strip envelopes), that I have printed covers for so they look like the ones in the show.

Joe has NO idea that we have done this, and I know he's going to love it when we hand him the first clue just before we leave the house. He then has clues for each day, with a challenge to complete, and a small amount of money for that "leg" of the "race". This was Ele's idea and just proves I have the cleverest wife in the world!

The only thing left to do really is actually pack, which we haven't even thought about yet.

So that's it - 1 week and we will be in the air! Joe has a countdown on his bedroom mirror and is ticking off the days.

Edited at 07:53 AM.
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 16, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Ok well, packing mostly done, hotels all paid and I have just checked in online!

Byyyyeeeeee!