Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 2 Jul 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Amy1989
Imagineer

Mobile Can you take food threw security?

Was looking at the Gatwick security site it says the new guidelines say no food as can take longer ect is this true I was going to take food for the kids
Amy1989 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
GenoviaPrincess
Proud to wear my Ears

At the end of 2016 I took an enormous Costco birthday cake through security and didn't have a problem. But I guess it may have changed since then! I flew to Portugal from Gatwick 2 weeks ago and didn't see any signs indicating that food wasn't allowed through, but equally I wasn't looking out for anything.
GenoviaPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by AmyP1989 View Post
Was looking at the Gatwick security site it says the new guidelines say no food as can take longer ect is this true I was going to take food for the kids
Can you post the link please to the official LGW website which says food is not allowed. We always buy sandwiches at the landside M&S and it will alter our plans considerably if we can't in future.

Can't see any reference to food (other than soup or yoghurts) here.

gatwickairport/faqs/security

Mick
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

On this morning today Martin Lewis was doing a true or false holiday quiz info type thing and one of the things was can you take food through security and he said you could, said was better for families on a budget etc not wanting to buy food at airport or on plane. He also said about taking a drink through security which we all know is difficult with the 100ml sizes for liquids but he also said take an empty bottle and fill it airside in water fountains.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

You can take sandwiches, crisps etc. Only liquids and food consisted liquids - not just soup but marmit, jam etc is considered a liquid and is subject to the usual restrictions. I bought m & s sandwiches through security about an hour ago 😀
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Maddy50
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

New guidance from the Department for Transport: we recommend that all food and powders should be packed in to hold baggage wherever possible. These items can obstruct images on x-ray machines, leading to additional manual bag checks. This may cause delays at security.

It doesn't state they are not allowed, just a request to put food in your hold luggage if possible. I will be taking some sandwiches through security for my youngest because he's autistic and will only eat certain sandwich fillings. I will put my other food items in my hold bags.
Maddy50 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Maddy50 View Post
New guidance from the Department for Transport: we recommend that all food and powders should be packed in to hold baggage wherever possible. These items can obstruct images on x-ray machines, leading to additional manual bag checks. This may cause delays at security.

It doesn't state they are not allowed, just a request to put food in your hold luggage if possible. I will be taking some sandwiches through security for my youngest because he's autistic and will only eat certain sandwich fillings. I will put my other food items in my hold bags.
Thanks for that. I certainly won't be putting M&S prawn sandwiches in my hold luggage as I have no desire to be fined $10,000 by the US C&BP. Slightly defeats the object of wanting to eat them on the plane.

Taken M&S sandwiches through many times and will probably continue. Never been rejected by the x-ray scanners. But I suppose there's always a first time. I'll let you know in November.

Mick
Old 2 Jul 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

What a crock of **** - disrupt X-ray images! - you could say that about any item in your hand luggage! - watch out for that cheese sandwich, it may conceal the machete in your bag! Never read such an idiotic thing... reads more of we want you to spend more money airside to me.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
What a crock of **** - disrupt X-ray images! - you could say that about any item in your hand luggage! - watch out for that cheese sandwich, it may conceal the machete in your bag! Never read such an idiotic thing... reads more of we want you to spend more money airside to me.
Nail on head
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List