Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 16 Aug 18, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dor1
Getting Excited

dor1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Dor1, I take it from your post that you didn't sit in ? My "mailer" makes it look like you have to eat-in then you can take one home ?
To the OP, we haven't in the past but now wondering as I do agree with the poster that said a server has packed our takeout bag

SD
Hi no we didn't eat in.
We ordered online(whist in a queue at magic kingdom) and chose 2 meals then added the 2 free meals.
Paid online and went to olive garden where they have a pick up area inside lobby.
All quick and decent food.
This was at the crossroads area.
Old 16 Aug 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

What about places like Golden Corral etc all the buffet places are these 15%
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
The difference is at McD's everyone has packaged food. No one expects to have their food brought to their table, even if they eat in. At Olive Garden or Chili's you are asking them to do something they normally do not do-package up your food. And you are taking a server away from his/her tables to do it as well as taking away his chance to serve you as a sit down customer.

I always tip when I pick up take out at a restuarant. I seldom add a tip to the tip jar at the drive in at Dunkins or Starbucks.
I don't know enough about the workings of a kitchen but do the chefs plate the food up and then someone has to take it off the plate and box up, or is it placed in the box directly by the chef. As I mentioned I don't know the answer but would think to save labour costs, washing up and time it's the latter.
If so then what's the difference between that and what happens in a fast food outlet such as McDonalds
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Even if the chef oouts it in a disposable container, the wait staff gather, condiments, and extas like rolls and may put a salad in a take out container, add cutlery and napkins and do up drinks. It's not as much work as waiting a table, but it takes time away from doing that job. I don't think 29% is warranted but a small tip is in order and appreciated.

When I piick up takeout at my local seafood restaurant, I appreciate that the servers recognize me and as I walk in the door go get my order and pack it up.

Edited at 05:23 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Even if the chef oouts it in a disposable container, the wait staff gather, condiments, and extas like rolls and may put a salad in a take out container, add cutlery and napkins and do up drinks. It's not as much work as waiting a table, but it takes time away from doing that job. I don't think 29% is warranted but a small tip is in order and appreciated.

When I piick up takeout at my local seafood restaurant, I appreciate that the servers recognize me and as I walk in the door go get my order and pack it up.
I'm not disputing any of that but in many ways that's no different to what someone does at a McDonalds drive through... although they may or may not recognise the customer
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
byeo
Very Serious Dibber

Would I go out of my way to leave a tip when I’ve ordered takeaway food, no, never. Only time that would happen is if my order came to $27.95 and I paid with $30.00, I’d probably just tell them to keep the change but an actual tip, nah.
07' Disney's All-Star Music Resort
10' Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
byeo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Party of 5
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Party of 5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneygirlsSG View Post
What about places like Golden Corral etc all the buffet places are these 15%
The severs here normally clear your plates and refresh your refillable drinks, so we do tip here.
Party of 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Would it be 15% tho?
And takeout ones we wouldn’t? I usually round up for takeout here in uk just cos I don’t like change.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Party of 5
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Party of 5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneygirlsSG View Post
Would it be 15% tho?
And takeout ones we wouldn’t? I usually round up for takeout here in uk just cos I don’t like change.
We normally tip around $10 which works out around 15% of our bill, however if our server isn't very efficient and we have to sit with dirty plates or they don't refill our drinks when needed, we leave less. From past visits I seem to notice the locals leave alot less more like $3-5, I think us brits are quite generous as a nation.
Party of 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List