Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jun 08, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Disney will Close all 6 Nightclubs at Downtown Disney

inline imageWalt Disney World is shutting down the six nightclubs at Pleasure Island to make its party district at Downtown Disney more family friendly.

BET SoundStage Club, Mannequins Dance Palace, 8Trax and three other clubs that have for years catered largely to young, single adults -- rather than to Disney's bread-and-butter family market -- will close after Sept. 27.

During the next couple of years, Disney will reopen the Pleasure Island venues with a broader mix of restaurants and shops.

Pleasure Island's change has been the subject of rumors for a while. Now 19 years old, it may have seemed an odd venture for Disney, but it appeared to thrive -- so much so that some in the industry have blamed it for accelerating the decline of the nightlife district in downtown Orlando during the 1990s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pleasureisland.jpg
Views:	108439
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	11600  
Old 30 Jun 08, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney
Plans Include New and Enhanced Shopping, Dining and Other Experiences

Walt Disney World Resort unveiled a new vision for Downtown Disney, with extraordinary new shopping, dining and other experiences including a completely re-imagined Pleasure Island. Also planned are numerous enhancements to popular Downtown Disney locations, as well as additional theming and storytelling brought to life by Walt Disney Imagineers.

“We are committed to offering guests new and exciting experiences they can only have at Walt Disney World Resort,” said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry. “Our bold new vision for Downtown Disney reflects the feedback we receive from our guests each and every day and will enable us to continue to offer the high-quality entertainment that is our hallmark.”

Over the next year, the 120-acre entertainment-shopping-dining complex will add a number of one-of-a-kind, immersive experiences for guests. Downtown Disney will even get its own iconic attraction, in the form of a giant, tethered balloon that will take guests 300 feet into the air to view the amazing vistas of Walt Disney World Resort. Other new experiences include:

· In fall 2008, guests will enter a world of prehistoric creatures at T-Rex: A Prehistoric Family Adventure. The dinosaur-themed family eatery will serve up pizzas, pastas, seafood and more, and will feature life-size animated dinosaurs that dwell among bubbling geysers, waterfalls and a fossil dig site.

· Also this fall, a design-your-own t-shirt store from Hanes will add to the growing collection of merchandise guests can personalize at Downtown Disney.

· E-brands Restaurants, an Orlando-based, multi-concept restaurant group, will premier its newest concept at Downtown Disney in spring 2009. The high-energy, casual eatery will feature authentic Central and South American cuisine, specialty drinks and live music along the waterfront.

Guests also will enjoy a brand new mix of shopping and dining experiences at Pleasure Island as it is transformed over the next two years.

“Our guests tell us they want additional shopping and dining experiences at Downtown Disney,” added Lansberry. “We are currently considering a number of unique concepts from around the globe as we re-imagine Pleasure Island and look forward to sharing our progress over the coming months.”

To make way for the new offerings, all of the clubs currently on Pleasure Island will close on Sept. 27. Other locations on Pleasure Island , including Raglan Road , Fuego by Sosa Cigars, Curl by Sammy Duval, Orlando Harley-Davidson and outdoor food and beverage locations, will remain open during the transition.

To complement these new experiences, many popular Downtown Disney locations will undergo enhancements.

· Beginning this summer, Portobello Yacht Club will be transformed into a Tuscan Country Trattoria. The refreshed menu features authentic Italian dishes and signature favorites and a re-designed interior along with an outdoor dining space.

· This fall, Goofy’s Candy Company will add a special new room that will enable families to host one-of-a-kind birthday parties at Downtown Disney.

· The Marketplace Stage will be completely replaced with a larger, covered stage this fall to welcome even more entertainment to Downtown Disney and serve as a new premier venue for Disney Magic Music Days.

· Fulton’s Crab House will update its interior fixtures and furnishing and exterior in Spring 2009. The enhancements include a refreshed third floor deck dining area to offer additional Disney guests and larger private parties the traditional Fulton’s experience.

· Next year, Wolfgang Puck Café will update its interior fixtures and furnishings and will feature an enclosed glass patio offering guests a year-round outdoor dining experience.

These efforts come on the heels of recent enhancements at World of Disney, Wolfgang Puck Express, Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop, Earl of Sandwich and Cap’n Jack’s Restaurant.
Old 30 Jun 08, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds great
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 08, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post

PI - We'll miss your clubs & NYE every night..sob sob.
Old 30 Jun 08, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm really pleased to read all these changes that are planned.
Never really been impressed with P.I and an enhanced big and better DTD will be very welcome in my eyes rather than the current setup
Old 30 Jun 08, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Katie C
Imagineer

As long as they don't get rid of World of Disney...
Katie C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 08, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Katie C View Post
As long as they don't get rid of World of Disney...
OMG I hope they dont!
Old 30 Jun 08, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post

re: PI changes

Hi! While I agree that PI has been ready for an overhaul for a long time now, i think that Disney are making a mistake by taking away the "adult" side of evening entertainment by closing all of the venues, especially Adventurers' Club, as they offered something a little more exclusive to adults, single or couples, who wish to go for a dance and a drink "out of hours" after a Disney day or even to celebrate an event, e.g. birthday or anniversary; also the bars in the resorts seem to close around midnight which u may think is reasonable but after extra magic hours or a show, when u get back to resort and fancy a beer or 2 before bed, the option offered to us on our last visit was "why don't you go to P.I. for a couple?", something which after Sept. will now presumably no longer be an option and I presume that the bars in resort will not remain open for longer to accomodate this change?
It seems that Disney is yet again taking something away from a large part of their market - the adult only group - and I feel quite sad about this... obviously Disney is child-friendly and predominantly for families, but we adults are a large group too!
Come on Disney, give us a reason to come and have a night out without being bombarded by "the kids" - we get enough of them during the day!
Whilst on the subject, Disney should also offer a quieter, maybe adult-only option for dinner, as sometimes when u want a romantic meal it is ruined by the screaming kids running around or simply not being considerate of couples on an anniversary, etc., and this is something I too wish could be addressed.
Don't get me wrong, I like kids (otherwise I couldn't hack Disney for 2 weeks) but a little consideration and a choice for a quiet area wouldn't go far wrong! 'Bye xxx
Old 30 Jun 08, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mitzllim
Excited about Disney

mitzllim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I am absolutely gutted, i have had so many good nights out in pleasure island surely there is a fine balance than just taking it away completly!

95 DLP- DNBC 96 WDW - DPR 97 Sept WDW- Lingfields, Kissimee) 98 Xmas WDW- route 57 00 DLP - DSL 01 WDW- ASS 03 OCT WDW - Route 57 Trip Report Oct 08 WDW - ASS Wedding 12 ASM DGF DCS
mitzllim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 08, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Booohooo, i am gutted! We had an awesome few nights out at PI - especially 8traxs.