Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Dec 15, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by °o°-Hannah-°o° View Post
Anyone, ANYONE who complains about safety and security is an idiot, it's for your own safety
erm - no, no they are not an idiot at all - everyone should be free to discuss and question the validity of any security system.

I personally am fine walking through a metal detector. I personally would not be happy being patted down intimately by an untrained student on minimum wage - even "for my own safety".

Everyone will have their point of "NO" where they would complain.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

[/QUOTE]
It's up to us to be vigilant. You may be on holiday but you cannot afford to be complacent. Yes, it rankles but you are as much responsible for your safety as are the entertainment industry.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY RIGHT geoffa, plus 'their counrty, their rules'
I am happy to walk naked thru any security system if it keeps me safe n enables me to continue going to places I love to go.
Old 18 Dec 15, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
erm - no, no they are not an idiot at all - everyone should be free to discuss and question the validity of any security system.

I personally am fine walking through a metal detector. I personally would not be happy being patted down intimately by an untrained student on minimum wage - even "for my own safety".

Everyone will have their point of "NO" where they would complain.
It all needs to be done in proportion and saying everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view is an idiot... is not helpful...

The point of terrorism is to make you feel unsafe while living your normal life (which is why The Daily Mail is "The terrorist's friend"). If I was a suicide bomber, or a lone wolf with an AK-47 then the perfect target would be the massive conglomeration of people waiting to be screened on a busy day... job done.

As Fareed Zakaria said "Since 9/11, foreign-inspired terrorism has claimed about two dozen lives in the United States. Meanwhile, more than 100,000 have been killed in gun homicides and more than 400,000 in motor-vehicle accidents."
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post

It's up to us to be vigilant. You may be on holiday but you cannot afford to be complacent. Yes, it rankles but you are as much responsible for your safety as are the entertainment industry.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY RIGHT geoffa, plus 'their country, their rules'
I am happy to walk naked thru any security system if it keeps me safe n enables me to continue going to places I love to go.[/QUOTE]

I'm totally with you on that. Seeing me naked would be enough to frighten any would be terrorist!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
spectrolee
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
Really? People still think this in 2015?

Could that be because there is no 'race card' to play?

Given that the vast majority of terror attacks in the USA are by young, white, male, US nationals what race card are you worried about being played here? Or is it only OK to profile brown people?
Spot on! Just look at the amount of people shot in American cinemas by young white men. Should we all be afraid of going to the AMC in Disney Springs unless all young, white, American men got through a metal detector?
spectrolee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
Sorry, but I don't see any of this as "theatre"!

Current threat level is here:
mi5.gov.uk/home/the-thre...at-levels.html

mi5.gov.uk/files/Global/...threat-sev.png

What the threat levels mean
Threat levels are designed to give a broad indication of the likelihood of a terrorist attack.

LOW means an attack is unlikely.
MODERATE means an attack is possible, but not likely
SUBSTANTIAL means an attack is a strong possibility
SEVERE means an attack is highly likely
CRITICAL means an attack is expected imminently

I accept that attacks are highly likely (esp. targeting Service personnel) but I am not "comforted" by this "theatre - I am, however, assured that barriers are being put in place to minimise the "overall" risk.

Sadly, people who complain about new security measures being put in the place will be the same people who will ask, in the wake of an atrocity, "why wasn't more done?".

The more barriers that can be put in place, the better I say………I transited Malaga airport the day after Paris atrocities and it was re-assuring to see an armed police presence. I never once thought of it as good "theatre"!

G
By theatre (not my words, BTW) what is meant is that these changes that Disney have introduced won't really do anything to stop an attack from actually happening. The primary aim of this change is to make visitors 'feel' safer; an attacker could still target the monorail or the bag check queue, for example. But because people see Disney doing something, then they will less likely be put off visiting the parks.

And, really, it's not terrorist attacks we have to worry about whilst over there. There are just over 11,000 gun-related homicides in the US each year which have nothing to do with terrorism at all. Whereas the number of US citizens killed by terrorists worldwide is just around 20 per year. I'm more worried about the mad Americans that decide to randomly start shooting people (which is just as likely now as it has always been) than a terrorist attack.

Finally, you are over a thousand times more likely to die whilst driving from your hotel or villa to a Disney park than you are to be involved in a terrorist attack, with or without those metal detectors and ban on toy guns. So remember to be vigilant whilst out on those streets.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:31 AM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
BTW, just to clarify, from what I've read I believe Disney are sending all people without bags through the metal detectors.

It is only those who have been through the bag check process that are being randomly selected to also pass through the metal detectors.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

These are being installed really for show, they will have no effect what so ever on anyone like a terrorist group at Disney World. Won't stop someone getting explosives in they wanted to. Its for show, like most airport security that the public sees, the really security is behind the scenes. It wont stop someone firing mortars into a park from a truck parked outside just like the IRA used to do at Police Stations and Army barracks during the "Troubles".

All it will stop is the odd one or two, like that person who tried to get a gun.
All any one would need to is attack people anywhere on property, whether its a hotel, Disney Springs or even the parking lots.

If they tried to screen everyone then people will be complaining of the even longer queues to get into the parks.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post

In the UK "profiling" is against the law IIRC. After all why would you want to use all the information available to "assess" any potential risk...

Unfortunately, and without prejudice, you are more likely to be a member of ISIS if you are a young single male Muslim than a middle-aged Christian woman with 2 kids. In the UK we're not allowed for this to "cloud our judgement" and affect our security.

Similarly the police are accused of being racist/profiling because they stop and search more black youths late at night. Yet no-one ever bothered to check that where the police are trying to cut down on - e.g. knife crime - those areas have more black youths frequenting them at night than any other demographic.

Security is a serious issue, and if we do not employ intelligent ways to enforce it we will disintegrate into extreme "Donald Trump" style knee-jerk reactions. And who wants that?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 15, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by misterh View Post
In the UK "profiling" is against the law IIRC. After all why would you want to use all the information available to "assess" any potential risk...

Unfortunately, and without prejudice, you are more likely to be a member of ISIS if you are a young single male Muslim than a middle-aged Christian woman with 2 kids. In the UK we're not allowed for this to "cloud our judgement" and affect our security.

Similarly the police are accused of being racist/profiling because they stop and search more black youths late at night. Yet no-one ever bothered to check that where the police are trying to cut down on - e.g. knife crime - those areas have more black youths frequenting them at night than any other demographic.

Security is a serious issue, and if we do not employ intelligent ways to enforce it we will disintegrate into extreme "Donald Trump" style knee-jerk reactions. And who wants that?
Most of what you say is right but in the UK profiling is not illegal. It's just the bleeding heart brigade who moan about it and thus stop its effective use.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List