Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 3 Jun 24, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
#81
Jamie99
VIP Dibber
 
Jamie99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 19
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
"No." - Bob Iger
Was that a grammar check?
__________________
Larks in the Parks
Jamie99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
#82
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber
 
bennyboy0751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 18
Location: Doncaster
Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
I don't want this to get pulled but I will respond to your points once.

Children develop their ideas from all manner of sources. They don't need a complicated explanation in a special setting, they just need a simple explanation with an honest discourse. Statistics show that very young children are exposed to actual harmful behaviours (porn from the age of 9) because they are given phones by their parents, the very same ones that may have the "family values" that you refer to.
Children are quite able to understand different kinds of relationships, no they do not need to know about sexual activity, but they can understand love, kindness, trust and loyalty. These are the values that should be taught and demonstrated.
Yes Disney is a public setting, so is Walmart. Should trans people be banned from there too? Where does it stop?
If a parent feels uncomfortable with treating people as people then they should stay at home IMO.
It seems that for those that see trans as "not normal" that this will have some kind of effect on a child. I cant imagine what this might be, other than to instill a prejudice in them which will carry forward to the next generation.
As for all enjoying an experience, what if members of the family are trans, what about their enjoyment, should they be banned because someone else feels uncomfortable. Wasn't it this kind of discomfort that led to segregation?
It wasn't long ago that we saw the murder of Brianna Ghey, a murder committed by other children. Maybe a little more kindness, understanding and exposure would have prevented this happening.
Fortunately it seems Disney are not hell bent on keeping to "societal norms" which is good because society changes all the time. I can't imagine what it must have been like in years gone by as a women, not allowed to show my knees, not allowed to have a certain job, not expected to enjoy things men were allowed to, or how about for men, not expected to show emotion, or have a certain job, or be interested in certain subjects. Times change, things move forward, I'm glad Disney are not stuck in yesteryear in a society where you had to conform.
Sorry bringing that murder into this is wrong because he was nopt the original victim at all another boy was but refused to turn up to there meeting
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
#83
Bal
Imagineer
 
Bal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14
Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post

i have 5 kids two of my sons are gay yes your perfectly normal but there is a time and a place for such thing as men in beards acting like a woman sorry not meant to offend you but even my gay sons agree with me little ones should be allowed to be little and not exposed to that at all.
Children should grow up understanding the world they live in.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
#84
Bal
Imagineer
 
Bal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14
Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
Mmm not normal and confusing.
But completely normal and understandable for adults of any gender to dress up as animals and cartoon characters?
Children are very understanding if things are explained in an appropriate way,”this person was born a man but would prefer to be a woman” or “this person loves people of the same sex, but love is the important bit”.
Prejudice is taught not born with.
Exactly this, sadly. I tend to give people benefit of the doubt, but it’s amazing how often these arguments fail under any kind of logical examination. Sadly, the majority of the time it is just prejudices in adults that they are desperately trying to hide as something else as they know it’s no longer acceptable in society (thankfully)

Kids don’t care, beyond curiosity. I’ve got a family member that cross-dresses (he doesn’t feel entirely comfortable in a male role) and all the kids in the family are not only undamaged but better for it. They’ve had an opportunity to ask questions and observe it as normal and now just accept it. Kids are curious. They’ll point and ask questions of any difference from their normal (good thing), they’ll always move on within about 2 minutes.

Edited at 08:10 AM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
#85
AngelsMMT
Trading Disney Pins
 
Join Date: Oct 23
Location: North West
Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post
Sorry bringing that murder into this is wrong because he was nopt the original victim at all another boy was but refused to turn up to there meeting
I disagree, you illustrate some of the various posters points exactly in the callous disrespect and disregard for someone else, to not even use their preferred pronouns.
AngelsMMT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
#86
YLL
Imagineer
 
YLL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 17
Location: East Sussex
Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post
Sorry bringing that murder into this is wrong because she was nopt the original victim at all, a boy was but refused to turn up to there meeting
Fixed it for you.

And by the way, the male killer was definitely anti trans.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
#87
Bal
Imagineer
 
Bal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14
Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post
Sorry bringing that murder into this is wrong because he was nopt the original victim at all another boy was but refused to turn up to there meeting
I'm not sure what you mean, but the murder of Brianna Ghey was found to be premeditated in Court, and one of the motivations of her killers was identified by the judge as her transgender identity.

Regardless of the specifics of an individual case, discussing acts of violence based on segregation/prejudice is very much relevant to the discussion. History, including recent history, is sadly littered with them. If children are raised to see differences, be their sexual orientation, identity, race, disabilities, etc., as something to be expected (because it is and always has been, transgender, cross-dressing is a long way from new) and even celebrated (see important protest events like Pride for example), the motivations for these terrible acts of violence, including murder, will hopefully not exist.

By the way, if anybody has a role in allowing children to experience human differences within a safe environment and allow their curiosity and imagination to shine, it is absolutely Disney.

Edited at 09:56 AM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
#88
CarolynU
Imagineer
 
CarolynU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 02

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I find the argument if stripped down strange.
What defines dresses trousers skirts shorts sarongs etc? Surely just pieces of material with or without a division.
So in a place supposedly based on ‘magic,’ men must have that division in their attire to not traumatise children.
So are these same children going to be traumatised going to Scotland where men with or without beards wear pieces of material without a division known as kilts and are extremely proud to do so in a non Pride sense of the word?
As are men in other parts of the world men wear sarongs (no division there either!)
Also back to the land of magic people inside fur are routinely not based on role/gender. But, that’s acceptable because they are hidden? But the second they aren’t that’s traumatising to children?
My philosophy is always this.
If I went to the drs or to a hospital with a grandchild who needed emergency treatment and the person was kind and knowledgable and wanted to give and gave the best treatment I wouldn’t care if they were wearing a sack or a prom dress covered with a white coat for hygiene maybe.
Whoever you defined yourself as I would be eternally grateful!
__________________
CarolynU is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
#89
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic
 
Join Date: Jul 07
Location: Cheshire

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post
Sorry bringing that murder into this is wrong because he was nopt the original victim at all another boy was but refused to turn up to there meeting
Don’t want to sidetrack but you are wrong. Read the court transcript
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 24, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
#90
SimplyDisney
Thread Starter
Excited about Disney
 
SimplyDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 12
I would like this thread to move away from the gender debate and back to The Decline of 'The Disney Difference'.
__________________
·1991 Polynesian ·1999 Villa ·2001 Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa ·2005 Port Orleans French Quarter ·2006 Boardwalk Inn ·2007 Polynesian ·2009 Contemporary Resort ·2010 Yacht Club ·2012 Buena Vista Palace ·2015 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ·2018 Polynesian & Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ·2019 Beach Club ·2022 Beach Club, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa & Hard Rock Hotel ·2023 YC & GF ·2024 Sapphire Falls, AKL, Icon & GF
SimplyDisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DIBB Savings
AttractionTickets.com

Get £10 off each Disney Ticket with the code ATDIBB10

Get up to £50 off per room at Disney or Universal with the code DIBBHOTELS


theDIBB Blog
Disney is renaming and changing its Genie+ service to Disney’s Lightning Lane Multi Pass and... Read More »
Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party takes place on select nights between November 8 and December... Read More »
SeaWorld Orlando announce the grand opening of its highly anticipated new attraction, Penguin Trek, on... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2685
Covent Garden FX  $1.2756
FAIRFX  $1.2648
John Lewis  $1.2677
M&S  $1.2461
Post Office  $1.2442
Sainsburys  $1.2707
TESCO  $1.2668
Travelex  $1.2640
Updated: 07:30 13/07/2024
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1646
Covent Garden FX  €1.1677
FAIRFX  €1.1631
John Lewis  €1.1673
M&S  €1.1466
Post Office  €1.1447
Sainsburys  €1.1663
TESCO  €1.1632
Travelex  €1.1651
Updated: 07:30 13/07/2024

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now



X