Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 May 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Living room decor/furniture arrangement.

Anyone good at these things? I can pop some photos up if someone is super bored.

We have a really weirdly designed house, the downstairs layout is awful. It's very far from the open plan we want but its not the right time to move.

I have thyroid problems so get cold easily and I want our lounge to be cosy. It's a good size but all the furniture is around the edge so anything but cosy but with French doors, a window, fireplace and an arch to the dining room we are limited with options as need to leave walkways.

We have had a holiday refund so have some money spare but need to be sure how we want it. I have considered knocking the fire out as its gas but unusable. Its a false breast so can be done.

Pics to follow.
I would love navy, dark grey, house plant kind of vibe.

That is a 55" tv for size perspective. Our furniture is BIG but there is so much empty, cold space.

Room is approx 5.4m from door way to window and 4.5m from TV to dining room arch.

Edited at 11:08 AM.
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

i'm certainly no good at these things, but please put some photos up and I am sure some talented soul will be along soon with good suggestions.
Old 6 May 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Mobile

OK I've managed to add them. Sb is a small set of drawers I hate. Needs new sofas and 100% will carpet. But carpet is a lot of work and money due to size and the silly beading he has put all around the skirting so we will need to decide on the fireplace first before we do the floor.

It just seems in the way to me. I would love the telly where the big sofa is as we have a South facing garden so the sun shines on the telly all day. But then the sofa would be in front of the fire. I just can't work it out. 😅
DCL 2019
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

My initial though when I looked at the photos was to remove the fire place and mount the tv onto that wall, possibly with an L shaped sofa in front of it, and a single are chair/snuggle chair facing the patio doors

Edited at 01:30 PM.
whlparkstone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
This might be totally silly but what size is your dining room? Could you swap them round? That room looks big but like a corridor, but not really big enough to zone without leaving unusable space.

My other thought was tv on the wall where the sm sofa is on your plan (it looks like the large one in the picture) L-shaped sofa in front of the patio doors, with walkway behind and then a chair on the other wall.
Old 6 May 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. One question please.
Are the French Doors needed? Very nice and a huge step maybe but if they aren't a necessity I would ditch them and install a window instead thus giving a wall that a sofa could go against.

Secondly I always ditch a fire and rely on the central heating. OK you still have the breast but at least there is no fire on/in it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I love a fire place. Even though we rarely light that fire. I like to have hat focal point.

Can you turn the rug 90 degrees and bring the furniture in off the walls and make a seating area around the rug. Leaving a walkway behind the sofa to get through the doors.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
For something simple put your tv unit where your large sofa is and your large sofa facing it and bring your small sofa in away from the wall. Just get a shorter rug
Or
I have a different shape room but I have my tv unit sort of where your small sofa is and sofa and chairs either side of the fireplace.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Mobile

French doors are more important to us than the fire and chimney 100%. But I do agree about focal points. Its just in a really weird place. If it was central it would be more manageable.
The dining room is small and has yet another door and window so wouldn't suit to swap. We do have a 2nd cosy lounge upstairs (it's a 3 story townhouse) but that's somehow turned into a washing and junk room.
We like being downstairs because of the dogs too.

Will have a play at pulling things in and seeing. The rug is the way it is and the dogs lay on it to catch the sun coming in. 🤣
DCL 2019
Old 6 May 20, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
The good thing about your room is, it's fairly empty, so its easy to move the sofa's and then move them back if you don't like it.

I thought of either having the sofas in a closer L, or facing each other across the coffee table.

I had a play with your diagrams, and also did one similiar to the way doubletrub described

BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List