Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Aug 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I must admit I get frustrated with the amount of hand luggage people take onboard a flight.
I remember once paying for extra legroom on Monarch on a flight from Spain and the Cabin Crew asking people with rucksacks and small bags to put them under the seat in front to allow space in the lockers, there was no way I was going to do that to encroach on my additional leg room that I had paid for when I had also paid for hold luggage and other people hadn’t paid for either, so I just pretended I hadn’t heard. 😁 Saying that if the space had been needed because there was a family with young children who obviously have to carry lots of additional items I would have happily removed my bag.
I don’t however think you are guaranteed the space above your seat because when you fly PE dedicated space is often sold as one of the benefits. If everyone was more sensible then all luggage would fit in.

On Virgin last month I took a good size rucksack (similar size to a small wheelie bag but squishy) and a bumbag and had no issues.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

“We have seats that have a number on them above our seats is a bin with the same number on that is for my luggage someone else putting there stuff there is far ruder than me removing it.”

I thought the numbers were there to show the seat number below it. I’ve been on many flights where the cabin crew have told people to move their items up and that the bins are for everyone not just the people sitting below it.
There’s also seats like 19a/c that have a smaller overhead bin which also sometimes has safety equipment in it that can’t be moved so you have to put your hand luggage in other sections.
Unexpectedpenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The simple solution to half of this problem would be for the airlines to actually enforce the rules. They stipulate the number, weight and size of carry on baggage yet seldom do they actually follow up on their own rules.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Hand luggage only fares are for one case upto the size specified plus one personal item. And the lockers are not assigned to a seat in any way. They don’t even line up with the rows of seats directly.

To answer the original question. We had a carry on case the exact size Virgin allow. They were hard sided Tripp cases. No one so much as glanced at them and we saw lots of much bigger ones. And also some very large personal bags.
On one flight we had to check them as we were last on the plane. As did many others. They gate checked the last 30 or so people’s wheeled cases. They didn’t gate check anything that would fit under the seat.

On another flight we voluntarily checked them as we knew we would have to anyway as we were last boarding group. The internal US flights do not have space for one case per seat overhead and almost every passenger has a roll on case.

We also had a backpack each. Not a tiny one. Nor a huge one. What I would consider a standard ‘school’ backpack.

I understand the comments about why do people bring hand luggage. But when the airlines are selling these fares then they are encouraging people to do exactly that. At £100 extra for a checked bag they can’t be surprised when people take them up on the offer.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by 4holibobs View Post
I have a very small pull along on wheels it’s not a traditional rectangular case more of a bag in wheels that I wanted to take as well as a Cath Kidston rucksack... it’s not ‘small’ just normal size. Do you think this would be ok?
Your Cath kidston will be fine
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
4holibobs
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Your Cath kidston will be fine
Thank you!
4holibobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cabbie View Post
The simple solution to half of this problem would be for the airlines to actually enforce the rules. They stipulate the number, weight and size of carry on baggage yet seldom do they actually follow up on their own rules.

-Steve
If only!
Old 8 Aug 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Hand luggage only fares are for one case upto the size specified plus one personal item. And the lockers are not assigned to a seat in any way. They don’t even line up with the rows of seats directly.

To answer the original question. We had a carry on case the exact size Virgin allow. They were hard sided Tripp cases. No one so much as glanced at them and we saw lots of much bigger ones. And also some very large personal bags.
On one flight we had to check them as we were last on the plane. As did many others. They gate checked the last 30 or so people’s wheeled cases. They didn’t gate check anything that would fit under the seat.

On another flight we voluntarily checked them as we knew we would have to anyway as we were last boarding group. The internal US flights do not have space for one case per seat overhead and almost every passenger has a roll on case.

We also had a backpack each. Not a tiny one. Nor a huge one. What I would consider a standard ‘school’ backpack.

I understand the comments about why do people bring hand luggage. But when the airlines are selling these fares then they are encouraging people to do exactly that. At £100 extra for a checked bag they can’t be surprised when people take them up on the offer.
Well stated. I completely agree. We chose this year to go economy light purely because we don't need 4 large 23kg suitcases as a family. Why pay the extra when we wouldn't use it. The virgin clearly stated rules allow for a cabin sized case with limits on size each along with a small personal item. We are perfectly entitled to bring these aboard the plane. Our hand luggage will be within virgin guidelines. We are more than happy to check these in should airline staff require so but not based on other passengers opinion.
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

I have seen people literally struggling up the isle dragging what look like near full sized cases and have yet to see VA stop them.
Old 12 Aug 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post

No one checked the size of our hand luggage going out 23 July or back 6 Aug. Was Delta/Virgin code share. There were some big suitcases coming on board after we pre-boarded and no one bothered.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List