Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jun 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Queens University Belfast

Hi

I was wondering if any dibbers or their kids had studied at QUB. Did you enjoy studying there? Would you recommend it? Any top tips? Also would you say Belfast was quite a safe city?

DD went to visit last week and has just accepted a place there, she seems really happy with her choice but I’m her mum and it’s my job to worry unnecessarily
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It is a well respected and popular university. In my opinion Belfast is a very safe city but this might just be compared with south London where I grew up!

Belfast is small and easy to get around and the northern Irish people tend to be friendly and helpful. It has its crime etc as does any city but I'd consider it fairly safe myself 😊
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

I went to Queen's University and also worked there for many years. It's a Russell group university so has added prestige. It has invested in lots more student accommodation in the city centre and also has a long established Elms student village on the malone Road which is a really prestigious area of Belfast and is a lovely setting. I would therefore recommend university student accomodation in the first year until friends are established.
I live in NI and know it well. Belfast is largely safe and friendly with lower costs than other cities. Like all cities it has areas with issues but a student in the city centre / University area is unlikely to cross paths with any of these areas. Go for it 😀

Edited at 08:03 PM.
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Thanks Liz-paul, it’s good to get your perspective.

It’s funny you say about growing up in London, we live in the countryside, over 1.5 hours to our closest city so DD pretty much grew up in the opposite of London.

I’m sure she will be fine but she is our eldest and the first to leave home so I’m worried sick.

We have been to Belfast for the day shopping and it seemed ok but it’s hard to tell on a short visit.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Originally Posted by florida_2012 View Post
I went to Queen's University and also worked there for many years. It's a Russell group university so has added prestige. It has invested in lots more student accommodation in the city centre and also has a long established Elms student village on the malone Road which is a really prestigious area of Belfast and is a lovely setting. I would therefore recommend university student accomodation in the first year until friends are established.
Belfast is largely safe and friendly with lower costs than other cities. Like all cities it has areas with issues but a student in the city centre / University area is unlikely to cross paths with any of these areas. Go for it 😀

Hi Florida 2012

This is exactly what I needed to hear, thank you DD has applied for the university student accommodation so hopefully she’ll get in. She is so excited about studying there and really liked it when she visited.
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

I studied at Queens back in the bad old days. Belfast has changed a million times since the mid 80s and is, in my opinion, as safe as any other small city. As other posters have said, there are many purpose built student apartments in the city centre, mostly around my office. They seem secure, well equipped and a short hop to the campus. I wouldn’t worry any more than if she were travelling to any other city in the UK.

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Belfast is a lovely City and having worked there and lived for about 3 years of my working life, i can tell you that the NI people are the most friendly generous people on gods earth.

Cant understand what they are saying though (took me 3 months to tune in - so it did)

Disney332

Edited at 08:44 PM.
disney332 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

I studied at Queens back in the 1990s, great university. I live in Belfast and my kids go to the Grammar school across the road from Queens, its safe and good public transport. Small City with lots to offer.
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
Hi Florida 2012

This is exactly what I needed to hear, thank you DD has applied for the university student accommodation so hopefully she’ll get in. She is so excited about studying there and really liked it when she visited.
QUB is great. A new exciting start for your DD. Belfast is very easy flight from the mainland so its easy to pop back home.

Hopefully the accommodation works out. I would recommend the elms village or city centre new student blocks. Otherwise there are many student rental homes / rooms in the Stranmillis Road, Lisburn Rd and Botanic Avenue areas which are popular with students.
Good luck for your DD
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Toria_dee
Dibbing with Tink

Belfast is an amazing city and when I lived in NI (just outside Belfast) I found the atmosphere and culture very similar to Scotland.

it's like a home from home. QUB is an amazing university in a really lovely part of the city, I highly recommend she visits Villa Italia on University Road (just down a bit from QUB student's union) for a meal. Perfect for a family gathering when you go visit!

Good luck to your DD and her forthcoming studies.

xx

DLP Cheyenne 1999, Day trip 2001, DCR 2011, Cheyenne 2014, DCR 2015, DCR 2023
Lapland Dec 2024
WDW Dibb villa July 2017
First time on-site CSR March 2025
Toria_dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List