Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jun 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by snowdrop100 View Post
We got cheap hand luggage only fares to NY with Virgin over May half term. We decided to book one piece of luggage into the hold which you can only do during check in and not in advance. This costs £45 each way. If you have decided to go for no hold luggage because you got great fares like us then this is worth considering (i justified it as £22.50 extra per person as there were 4 of us sharing the luggage).

If you are doing it for speed at airport then disregard
Do you notify them / pay at the check-in desk separarely for going out and returning?
We are on economy light with virgin and we just want to check in one large case between 4 of us.
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We went "hand luggage only" on our February week to Orlando because it was a last-minute budget trip.

The only thing I'll say, as Mrs Bozza researched it extensively then, is that there really is no "standard" hand luggage size. A lot of airlines have subtly different size regulations, and th small roller cases you can buy also come in a range of slightly different sizes.

American, who we flew with, didn't check the size of ours, which we'd bought to fit their stated requirements but some airlines do check, so make sure whatever you use does meet the dimensions stated for your airline. if it doesn't you may find yourself having to pay the full hold charge to check it in.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

you can pay when you do online check in 24 hours before your flight or do it when you're actually checking in at the airport. you therefore have to go through the same process when you check in for your return flight
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by snowdrop100 View Post
you can pay when you do online check in 24 hours before your flight or do it when you're actually checking in at the airport. you therefore have to go through the same process when you check in for your return flight
Think we'll be doing online check in as it'll be a bit quicker in getting assigned seats than at the desk. Good to know that we can sort the bag out online
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Hawaii04 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. Would still like to know what is deemed as a “small” backpack. Has anyone experience of this. Thanks again.
Ẁe are Virgin Delta in 5 weeks -

Personal item is size of laptop bag, day pack or briefcase so 18 x 14 x 8 inches. So small "day pack" size not regular back pack.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
We went "hand luggage only" on our February week to Orlando because it was a last-minute budget trip.

The only thing I'll say, as Mrs Bozza researched it extensively then, is that there really is no "standard" hand luggage size. A lot of airlines have subtly different size regulations, and th small roller cases you can buy also come in a range of slightly different sizes.

American, who we flew with, didn't check the size of ours, which we'd bought to fit their stated requirements but some airlines do check, so make sure whatever you use does meet the dimensions stated for your airline. if it doesn't you may find yourself having to pay the full hold charge to check it in.
I have bought for DS a 4 wheeled hard shell case which is just under 56 x 36 x 23 cm from Amazon with "Humlin" label on it for £21
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post

We were going to be hand luggage only but have decided to take decent size hand luggage (weight) and pay for 2 hold bags @ approx £90 return each. Usually take 3 or 4 between the 4 of us but decided hand luggage only was just too small for capacity and comfort. Staying in villa but want to shop as well ...
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I have a small American Tourister underseat bag which I have flown extensively with in the US on several airlines. It always fits neatly under the seat. I recently flew on British Airways and had to put it in the overhead-it was too wide to go under the seat. We had checked luggage so it wasn't an issue other than I had all my reading materials on my kindle and packed in it.

It fit fine on Virgin Atlantic but I am older and have difficulty putting things in the overhead bins so do not travel with overhead luggage. I was surprised to see one needed to handle over head luggage without assistance.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I have a small American Tourister underseat bag which I have flown extensively with in the US on several airlines. It always fits neatly under the seat. I recently flew on British Airways and had to put it in the overhead-it was too wide to go under the seat. We had checked luggage so it wasn't an issue other than I had all my reading materials on my kindle and packed in it.

It fit fine on Virgin Atlantic but I am older and have difficulty putting things in the overhead bins so do not travel with overhead luggage. I was surprised to see one needed to handle over head luggage without assistance.
BA offer a very generous 23kg hand luggage; many people would struggle to lift that over their head & into a bin.

I think BA’s view may be that if a passenger is bringing that weight on board, they’d prefer that the passenger takes the risk of injury in lifting it rather than their crew members; if crew hurt themselves, they potentially can’t carry out their duties.

So, policy is all luggage must be handled solely by passengers into overheads; otherwise, who decides what is ok/where do you draw the line?

Edited at 09:06 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post

The trouble I have found with hand luggage and back packs is they fit under "most" seats but if you are in the aisle seat the foot room is smaller and sometimes space is compromised with the seat in front and the position of the metal legs/posts between the seats.