Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jul 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

upgrade now or wait

so i have economy seats booked both legs and i keep looking at upgrade prices.

Currently £244 outbound or 16200 miles plus £94 tax for PE

£150 inbound or 11200 miles plus £94 tax for PE

£65 for delight outbound and £80 inbound

I'm happy to wait but the miles booster deal ends tomorrow so if i pay cash to upgrade i get more miles to boost.

What would you do?
Old 13 Jul 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Last year I did it at the airport outbound and it was £200 each. There was nothing available on the return flight. So those prices are pretty much on line with what I would expect. This year I upgraded when I booked.

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
so i have economy seats booked both legs and i keep looking at upgrade prices.

Currently £244 outbound or 16200 miles plus £94 tax for PE

£150 inbound or 11200 miles plus £94 tax for PE

£65 for delight outbound and £80 inbound

I'm happy to wait but the miles booster deal ends tomorrow so if i pay cash to upgrade i get more miles to boost.

What would you do?
The booster is independent of the class of travel. It is only related to the distance flown. Everyone can get the same amount of boosted miles, whether flying in economy, PE, or business.

That said, I would go for delight outbound and PE inbound. If I'm not mistaken they don't charge you any tax if you only do the return in PE (because the tax is APD). Unless you're saving miles for a particular redemption I would use miles to upgrade the inbound to PE.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
The booster is independent of the class of travel. It is only related to the distance flown. Everyone can get the same amount of boosted miles, whether flying in economy, PE, or business.

That said, I would go for delight outbound and PE inbound. If I'm not mistaken they don't charge you any tax if you only do the return in PE (because the tax is APD). Unless you're saving miles for a particular redemption I would use miles to upgrade the inbound to PE.
I get more miles if I am in delight or PE than economy. But I would have to pay to upgrade to get the higher amount.

There is tax on the inbound flight according to the agent

As the flight seems quiet I was wondering whether to chance my luck of getting a row to myself
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

I get more miles if I am in delight or PE than economy. But I would have to pay to upgrade to get the higher amount.

There is tax on the inbound flight according to the agent

As the flight seems quiet I was wondering whether to chance my luck of getting a row to myself
Yes, you get 100% of distance flown in PE and 150% of distance flown in delight. However, the booster is the same for everyone so you can buy that today to get the promotion and upgrade later if you wish to do so.

Regarding the tax on the inbound, I would hang up and call again, as there shouldn't be any APD ex-USA. Ask them to confirm with ticketing if they need to. It took me hours and 3 different agents last November before I got one who believed me that I was exempt from APD as I was flying into the UK on an ex-EU connecting flight. The final agent was fairly new and called ticketing to confirm, which worked.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

argh - so decided to upgrade to delight as i should get more miles to boost but the page is showing the delight miles yet and the offer runs out tonight.

Should i boost on economy then contact them tomorrow (no advisers around) and hope that they can adjust them

Mr Tom Morrow please help
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

argh - so decided to upgrade to delight as i should get more miles to boost but the page is showing the delight miles yet and the offer runs out tonight.

Should i boost on economy then contact them tomorrow (no advisers around) and hope that they can adjust them

Mr Tom Morrow please help
Like I've tried to explain, for the booster it doesn't make a difference whether you fly in light, classic, delight, PE, or upper class. Everyone can boost the same number of miles, being 100 % of the distance flown. You can then single, double, or triple boost that 100%.

Flying delight does not mean that you get to boost 1x, 2x, or 3x 150%.
It only means that you get 150% for the legs flown in delight + b x 100% with b being the number of times you boost (1, 2, or 3 with this promo).

In other words the page you're looking at is never going to change because there is no such thing as "showing the delight miles" for boosters.

Edited at 09:20 PM.
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

that is not what i was told previously but thank you
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I'm loathe to say to people if a price to upgrade is right or not. I always have a price in mind but mine are from PE to UC as I cannot sit in an Econ seat.

With regards to the Miles Boost current promo Cosmic Girl is right. The Miles will be the same no matter what cabin you are in.

I have boosted a PE seat going out in August and an UC seat in Nov. Same cost same Miles.

It also matters not what FC class you hold. I am Silver but that doesn't alter the Miles Boost even though I get more Miles for the flight. The Boost is based on the actual Miles flown not the status of FC held or the cabin

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Here's the text from the t&c if you don't believe me:

The Virgin Atlantic Airways Limited (“VAA”) Miles Booster product (the “Miles Booster”) provides an opportunity for customers to purchase additional Flying Club miles against any Qualifying Flight by buying the point-to-point base flown or double the base flown miles. Through Miles Booster, Flying Club members are able to purchase miles to add to the number of miles they earn on qualifying flights.

And again here:

This Miles Booster offers customers the ability buy the base flown miles or double (2x) the base flown miles on a flight. Miles Booster does not apply to additional miles earned, as a result of ticket class and/or Flying Club tier status.

And here's a list of the base flown miles:

Full list of base flown miles by destination
Here's a list of all our destinations by base flown miles. Just use the method above to work out how much you will earn on your next flight.

Base flown miles - return trip
Orlando
BFSMCO 8,122 - Belfast
GLAMCO 8,230 - Glasgow
LGWMCO 8,686 - Gatwick
MANMCO 8,452 - Manchester

Note the numbers are slightly off and you'll get a bit less than what is mentioned here (at least for Gatwick) but they will only charge you for the miles you're getting. For Gatwick-Orlando return they use 8,672 as the base flown mileage.

The 150% you are getting for delight is made up of 100% base miles and a 50% cabin/ticket class bonus. Only the 100% base miles qualify for the booster.

If you still don't believe me well then I've done all I can.

Edited at 10:02 PM.