Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jul 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

Hi Crissy61, we fly Thomas cook, we used to fly virgin however had an extremely bad experience with them 5 years ago and haven't been with them since.
We usually book Thomas cook as soon as we have decided dates, usually 15 to 18 months before we fly knowing that time frame may mean changes to our flight but we factor this in.
We usually fly premium both ways but actually book economy out and premium back then wait for a cheap upgrade to enable us to fly premium both ways.
They have changed the plane on one occasion, this was in September 2017, they put us on an air tanker, we were advised about it and to take our own entertainment or hook up to their app. It wasn't the best flight but it wasn't the worse either.
We have also had the odd delay (30-40 mins) but the longest delay ever was 7.5 hours with virgin.
The entertainment on Thomas cook is not fantastic in economy, I don't use it, I take my tablet loaded with films and it does cost £6 to upgrade, you also have to pay for drinks that are not with meals but you can buy in the airport or buy on board if you really wanted an extra drink. Food is a meal then a snack before you land, about as much as you would probably eat on a working day.
Premium gives you priority boarding and departing the plane, luggage off first but I will be honest I dont actually think it matters on arrival in Orlando.
Meal and snack and unlimited drinks, better entertainment and bigger seats.
We all really enjoy Thomas cook premium but it is a means to an end as it is the flight that takes you on holiday. Only you can decide what you want to pay for a flight, different people have different opinions on what is a good price or not, if you are happy with a price then its right for you irrespective what others think.
Please don't be put off by the news of Thomas cook difficulties, that is their holiday part of the company not the flights. Other airlines have issues but thomas cook are in the news because they have been trying to address them.
Would I book Thomas cook again, yes, going in October and also September next year and still looking to book flight in June when I get some holiday dates.

Edited at 01:15 PM.
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I wouldn’t listen to the negative comments about TC, and if cheaper would book with them. For price difference between them and Virgin you could get Premium Economy which would give you your drinks and IFE included.
As for airtankers being used, yes it could happen but I would always be prepared for this by taking a tablet with films whichever airline I fly.
I’ve heard of people flying virgin who have had plane change and no IFE.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TeeKayDawn View Post
I wouldn’t listen to the negative comments about TC, and if cheaper would book with them. For price difference between them and Virgin you could get Premium Economy which would give you your drinks and IFE included.
As for airtankers being used, yes it could happen but I would always be prepared for this by taking a tablet with films whichever airline I fly.
I’ve heard of people flying virgin who have had plane change and no IFE.
We've flown TC PE from MAN four times in the last few years.

Up to £1,000 cheaper for two than VS PE Yes the IFE is a bit poorer but I don't pay a thousand pounds more for a 9 hour bus ride in a tin tube just because I can watch an extra film.

And after a bit of therapy we can get over the shock of the cabin crew not wearing red.

Mick
Old 14 Jul 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
We have flown Thomas Cook 4 times and are again in September,to be honest I find Thomas Cook flight crew better than Virgin,on our last Virgin flight they sat in the dining area with the curtains drawn and ignored everyone for 2 hours!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I always fly coach and with 4 of us, it is a significant part of the price of a Florida vacation.

I always, but always take the best price as I can find a million things over there that I would rather spend my money on.

I have flown the Atlantic with TC A330, TUI 767 & now, 787, Virgin B747 (bubble and not) A330 and B787, Delta 767 , RAF VC10 and even RAF C130 (K).

Out of all of those, there is only one that I place as better than the others and one that I sincerely hope I never fly again.

The best, TUI in a B787 into Sanford. For me that is the best aircraft (prefer their cabin colours to Virgins B787) and imho the best airport.

Thomas Cook, Virgin, Delta or any other are to me identical. Any gizzits such as free alcohol are irrelevant as I only drink with my meal. I concede that Virgin have as good an IFE offering as anybody.

I would most certainly in your case, try TC. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

The worst flight option .. no prizes for guessing.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:48 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post
virgin is cheap compared if you search around our holiday with virgin is 1000 pounds cheaper than thomas cook we booked it then saw them in trouble was suprised to get it the same holiday 1000 pounds cheaper can provide proof if needed through kenwood travel TC keep changing to airtanker too just look at other threads to see that they are been awful at mo at using other companies planes which are lower standard in my opinion overhead ife not everybody has ipads etc so long flight where you dont choose your efi
Here he is again.

Obviously you are still a little sore about cancelling your TC package.. plus you didn't actually save £1000 if I remember correctly... as you would have had to pay TC £250pp when you cancelled, you forgot about mentioning that part!

Please can you stop trying to scare people away from booking with TC just because you cancelled and so and so happened to your mate etc..

OP if the price is right then book with TC, they're a fantastic airline and would pick them all day over VA.

As an example.. our PE return flights with TC were £500 each for next Sept and VA was well over £1200 each for PE, no brainer really! Plus Things with TC are starting to look on the up! (not so good for the shareholders though oops!)
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake

Edited at 04:34 PM.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We have always flown with Virgin, but next year are flying with Thomas Cook. The prices for next Easter when we have to travel are horrendous, but we are saving several hundred pounds each by choosing Thomas Cook.
I was reassured by asking DIBB members before deciding to book
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We flew with them a couple of years ago and thought they were fine, would use again
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

We usually book exit row seats on virgin if we don’t get a good price for premium. Are all the exit row seats on Thomas Cook planes next to the toilets?
Old 14 Jul 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Andycm81
Apprentice Imagineer

Andycm81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I prefer Virgin's on board facilities, and if both were the same price, I'd choose Virgin, but as a family of four, the savings we make flying TC make the choice an absolute no brainer.

TC are still a very good airline, meals are nice, IFE is OK, but who doesn't have some sort of device to take with them to watch/play on?

OP - I wouldn't hesitate in booking with TC. We're flying with them in just under four weeks!
Andycm81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List