Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Oct 18, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I know that you asked for specific experiences of Dibbers in villas without a car but as I've touched on earlier maybe I can post the opposite opinion?

First of all I should admit to the fact that what I know about Uber could be written in size 72 font on the back of a postage stamp. I’m also fully away that dozens and maybe hundreds of Dibbers use it completely successfully and would never dream of hiring a car.

However a typical day for us in a villa might be :-

Popping out for breakfast and returning to the villa for a couple of hours reading and swimming.

Around mid day deciding we'd like to go to Mall at Millennia for a bit of shopping but whilst we are there realising that we need something from Premium Outlets as well. Then return to the villa for more chilling.

Early evening our thoughts turn to dinner at Longhorn Rolling Oaks but we think it would be nice to have a stroll round Disney Springs first and maybe a game of golf at Winterland/Summerland before dinner. After dinner we realise that we need some stuff from the supermarket so we call at a Publix on the way home but sadly they don’t have what we want so we need to go home via Target as well.

Not forgetting spontaneous trips to the coast and Winter Park.

Haven’t mentioned going to any theme parks as we don’t tend to do much of that now.

I just can't imagine how we'd do our travelling by using taxis or public transport. Not just a question of cost but the logistics and time spent waiting around must be very tedious? Quite simply we like to be in complete control of where and when we go anywhere, how long we stay and the ability to change our mind regularly.

To be honest though we’ve been over 30 times and always hired a car and as we’ve never used taxis, Uber or public transport in Florida we can’t really give an experienced opinion on the alternatives to car hire.

Mick
Old 18 Oct 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Sully
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

Thanks for the responses. Our kids are quite young and in the past we have been at parks for opening, and went home mid/late afternoon via a supermarket and often not left the villa again for the evening as they enjoy the pool etc, however we have occasionally dined out and fought for who would be driver! 😂

We have no interest in shopping at malls or outlets tbh so the most of our time will be at the parks or villa. Thanks for the responses received. We have still time to think about it but I have seen more and more about people using lyft and uber on this forum and other Facebook groups etc and thought it was worth asking.
Sully is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

We stayed in old town Kissimmee and researched buses before we went for us Lynx was a regular bus so we got weekly passes For 3 weeks cost is $150 for 2 ad 2chil and 1 child 4 who was free. I know it is not for everyone but my kids find a bus quite novel.
We didn't want to drive in Florida and that is why we chose this option. The fact that it was cheap was a bonus.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
We stayed in old town Kissimmee and researched buses before we went for us Lynx was a regular bus so we got weekly passes For 3 weeks cost is $150 for 2 ad 2chil and 1 child 4 who was free. I know it is not for everyone but my kids find a bus quite novel.
We didn't want to drive in Florida and that is why we chose this option. The fact that it was cheap was a bonus.

Great tip 😁 We are in two minds about a budget chill out two weeks in March I will pop buses in my budget workings. Xx
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

When my wife (who won’t drive over there) and my son (who would love to but is under 21) go out there ahead of me, they have managed perfectly fine with getting Ubers quickly wherever they’ve wanted to go. That includes airport runs, to and from Disney and Universal parks and trips to shops such as Walmart.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 02:40 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sully View Post
Thanks for the responses. Our kids are quite young and in the past we have been at parks for opening, and went home mid/late afternoon via a supermarket and often not left the villa again for the evening as they enjoy the pool etc, however we have occasionally dined out and fought for who would be driver! 😂

We have no interest in shopping at malls or outlets tbh so the most of our time will be at the parks or villa. Thanks for the responses received. We have still time to think about it but I have seen more and more about people using lyft and uber on this forum and other Facebook groups etc and thought it was worth asking.
I think it's very doable staying in the Formosa area with your style of holiday.
We are pretty much like you in that whilst we do it differently when just us, when it's a big family group we tend to breakfast at the villa, head for the parks and can't be bothered going back again out to eat again in the evening. We either cooked (nothing complicated ) or had takeout delivered. None of us are big eaters in the heat so we sometimes chose to graze rather than a formal meal anyway.
We did have a car but often split into two groups so used Lyft a lot . (We were in the Formosa area too)
Yes you'll need to be organised with your supermarket shop (s) but if you don't want to drive , it's your holiday and very doable.
It's a different style of holiday but the kids loved it. More relaxed, more pool time in fact the kid's favourite things were the pool and Typhoon Lagoon not the big rides (the 11 and 13 year old) , the youngest (4) decided meeting princesses was the best with the pool and water parks a very close second.
We still did a lot in the parks but it wasn't as important as perhaps it is to others. Fastpasses were all for mid morning and then extras picked up after , it worked really well. A few
nights we went back for fireworks or Fantasmic
No one got over tired and grumpy. It was probably my most enjoyable WDW trip ever as there was no (self imposed) pressure .
It wouldn't suit everyone but we loved it.

(Before the rest of the family arrived we were on site at BWI so didn't bother with a car there ,after they left we drove up to Canaveral for a cruise and were at Vero after ,both were car essential and we made many detours and stops and loved that too so we aren't anti hiring a car by any means but for non outlet types wanting to mix parks with chilling Uber and Lyft make it a very real option if staying in one of the very close to Disney villa communities.)

Edited at 02:49 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List