Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 Jul 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Amy1989
Imagineer

Mobile Getting train to and from airport

Has anyone ever got a train to an from uk airports were going to gatwick and im thinking of doing the train... there are 6 of us and 1 of the children will be using hes wheelchair... is it exhausting after such a long flight?

Any tips or advice
Amy1989 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi there

We only ever travel to and from airports on the train. Can't tell you much about Gatwick as we always fly from Manchester however it is wheelchair friendly with lifts and a ramp up into the terminal building.
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I guess that it depends very much on the distance that you intend travelling and how many changes there are en-route when compared with the time spent driving it.

I would also be weighing up the cost of train versus, petrol, possible hotel, carparking etc.

In your case, from London, it's a no brainier. In our case, from Falmouth, then it has to be car, overnight hotel and parking costs. We save money and time by going indirect from Heathrow and it is quicker door at home to door in the USA than Gatwick. I would never say it in any other scenario, but you are fortunate to live in London (but only when considering transport and national events, concerts, sports etc.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:03 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Amy1989
Imagineer

Mobile

We dont drive so will be a minivan or train we live about 30 miles from gatwick train is 1 change at London bridge
Amy1989 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

I would consider it, for your journey going, but for me on the return, I don't sleep, so i don't think I could handle a train journey with the time difference.
Old 1 Jul 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

The train station at Gatwick is right in the terminal so that's nice and easy. There are lifts from platforms up to airport level. We've always got trains that don't terminate there so depends if you're someone that finds getting quickly on and off stressful! Though as you have a wheelchair with you you'd be getting help from the station staff anyway I guess?
On the way home I'd be tired but same can be said of driving !
Old 1 Jul 17, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

I should of added, we don't drive so we get a cab on the return and relax and doze off.
Old 1 Jul 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MargaretMouse View Post
I would consider it, for your journey going, but for me on the return, I don't sleep, so i don't think I could handle a train journey with the time difference.
You are rather fortunate. From Gatwick, my drive home is around 310 miles and 6.5 hours. We sometimes book a hotel in Salisbury or thereabouts if it is cheap, then decide 'take' or 'cancel and lose the money' as we pass Amesbury and have 200 to go.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post

We always get the train TO Gatwick. It's a doddle - provided all the stations you will need have lifts.

On the way back it just depends. We couldn't get the train last year as we had too much luggage - but when we don't I definitely prefer the train. The station is right at the airport - and you never have to worry about traffic on the M23 or M25!

My one caveat - a lot of the American flights land during rush hour. I need the City Flyer (Brighton to Bedford) and I don't want to be boarding that at rush hour with big cases. So maybe keep that in mind if you'll be using a "regular" service.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

With one change at London Bridge it's very easy however depending on what time you arrive personally I'd stop and have breakfast at Gatwick and time my time of arrival at London Bridge for just after nine rather than battle through the commuting hoardes. Southern can prearrange wheelchair assistance anyway which will make it even easier.
(Assuming you aren't arriving back on a Saturday or Sunday obviously in which case don't bother delaying getting to London Bridge)

Edited at 08:56 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List