Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 23 Jun 20, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
We had this deal too and it even included BT sports, but we had an issue with our TV box which needs switching off every couple of days as the TV stopped working 😡 It was so frustrating and we didn’t like the interface as much as Sky and really missed Sky Go.
Couldn’t face losing the Virgin fibre broadband however so kept the broadband and went back to Sky for TV🤗
Yes get BT too. Gey everything. Son has the unlimited sim. It’s not a bad deal given what’s on offer. Never had a problem with the TiVo boxes. Like the 500mb internet. With my Orbi setup I even get 400 meg on my decking in the garden.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
With my Orbi setup I even get 400 meg on my decking in the garden.
Does Orbi work well with Virgin?, it must do 😄
I’m looking to swap my Google (which uses the Virgin router) I understand the Orbi replaces the Virgin router?
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
clucky
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Has anyone managed to get around the 18 month contract? 18 months is a long time ...
Old 24 Jun 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Does Orbi work well with Virgin?, it must do 😄
I’m looking to swap my Google (which uses the Virgin router) I understand the Orbi replaces the Virgin router?
You plug it into the Virgin Router.

It’s expensive but the best.

I had a Nova MW6 mesh before which is decent but the Orbi is in another league.

I did find the Orbi doesn’t transmit as far as advertised, but it’s throughput is fantastic.

I had to buy three satellites to get best speeds through my house, when supposedly one should be enough. So it cost me about £600 in total with 3 satellites but internet is important to me so wanted full speed.

Now I get 300 meg plus all over including garden. My biggest challenge was a bathroom over the garage (v important!) where the Virgin box could not pick up at all, and there I get about 80 meg.

There are different Orbis with different antannae and the cheapest ones don’t have a dedicated wireless backhaul channel which is what actually sets Orbi apart from many others. I have the RBK50 ones. The backhaul channel uses a higher frequency channel not used by normal WiFi to transmit between the satellites. Cheaper ones share the same WiFi bandwidth to do the transmitting between units also.

You may see an improvement over Google WiFi if you buy the top end Orbi.

Edited at 08:54 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You plug it into the Virgin Router.

It’s expensive but the best.

I had a Nova MW6 mesh before which is decent but the Orbi is in another league.

I did find the Orbi doesn’t transmit as far as advertised, but it’s throughput is fantastic.

I had to buy three satellites to get best speeds through my house, when supposedly one should be enough. So it cost me about £600 in total with 3 satellites but internet is important to me so wanted full speed.

Now I get 300 meg plus all over including garden. My biggest challenge was a bathroom over the garage (v important!) where the Virgin box could not pick up at all, and there I get about 80 meg.

There are different Orbis with different antannae and the cheapest ones don’t have a dedicated wireless backhaul channel which is what actually sets Orbi apart from many others. I have the RBK50 ones. The backhaul channel uses a higher frequency channel not used by normal WiFi to transmit between the satellites. Cheaper ones share the same WiFi bandwidth to do the transmitting between units also.

You may see an improvement over Google WiFi if you buy the top end Orbi.
Thanks, we do have issues at the minute over the garage too (a bedroom) as it is quite a distance away from the router.
Google has helped but looking for something stronger. Was looking at the Amazon Eero as an option too👍

Internet important here too, just reluctant to stump up the cash if not different. Decisions decisions 🤔

It does spoil you when you get Virgin fibre though. I dare say that what we have now is better than the ‘best’ of other providers 🤗
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
richieboy07
Apprentice Imagineer

richieboy07's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We we’re Looking at Sky’s £25 deal for skyQ+Netflix but after further investigation turns out as a sky customer they expect me to pay £200 installation which for new customers is £20 so cancelled sky and going with freesat and nowtv
Once again new customers more important then long time customers!

Stop touching me !
richieboy07 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thanks, we do have issues at the minute over the garage too (a bedroom) as it is quite a distance away from the router.
Google has helped but looking for something stronger. Was looking at the Amazon Eero as an option too👍

Internet important here too, just reluctant to stump up the cash if not different. Decisions decisions 🤔

It does spoil you when you get Virgin fibre though. I dare say that what we have now is better than the ‘best’ of other providers 🤗
Buy it from Amazon and send it back if no better. I’d make sure you get three satellites, but maybe start with 2 and then buy another if you need more power.

This is what I’m getting upstairs laying in bed now (morning off so being a bit lazy, must get up as I’m off on a bike ride)

I’d get on my Nova (similar to Google WiFi) about 150 and maybe about 50 on the Virgin box.

Edited at 08:04 AM.