Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Aug 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
We also cancelled ours. It is council run but will only open at lunchtime til 8pm and classes will be half the capacity. I liked going first thing or else I get into something else. The classes I enjoyed were already hard to get into as very popular without being smaller. Luckily I haven’t put on weight during lockdown and have been able to keep up my riding lessons along with walking and gardening to keep fit. Only thing I’m disappointed with is my Silver Swans ballet classes as they are staying zoom based at the moment so I haven’t rejoined😢
That’s rubbish hours then 😢
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by paw View Post
We have cancelled our gym membership. They wanted £5 each a month to suspend it for a further 3 months or full fee to go back now. I waited a week to see what was going on and decided it was a waste of time. I will reassess later in the year.

My DH normally uses the exercise machines, followed by swimming, sauna or steam room. Reduced machines; no sauna or steam room, reduced numbers in pool but not pre bookable and best of all please do not use the changing rooms, go home to shower - wet from the pool!

Classes were reduced to 2 a day with half the normal number allowed in. Of the classes I normally go to only two were going to happen, booking opened at midnight and by a few minutes after there was a waiting list.

Now I enjoy the gym but I was not willing to pay to go through the stress of getting a slot once a week.
My gym payment has been suspended and they haven’t asked for any other payment during the time it’s been closed. Getting in to some of the more popular classes is hard enough normally so not sure how I’ll manage when or if they ever re-open.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
My gym opened as soon as they could July 24th & we were first through the door at 6.50am 🙊loads of hand gel everywhere & spray & disposable cloths to clean the equipment.
You have to pre book your session now & can stay an hour, I’ve done one class, circuit training, it was just me & 1 other, the gym seems quiet I think many are still nervous.
Me personally couldn’t wait to get back as I’ve been doing my usual running walking cycling & online classes but wanted specific weight training.
I usually go twice a week 💪
Similar to my experience. The most people that have been in at any one time when I’ve been in the gym is 6. I’ve done Zumba and step class, about 25 people in Zumba (usually 50+) but they are limiting it to 32. Step has only ever had 9 in. my friend has been swimming and said she booked one of the last spaces but not everyone who booked in turned up as she knew how many people should have been in And how many actually were. It’s lovely to be back. I work in the leisure centre I attend but unfortunately I’m still a member of staff not back at work yet
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
That’s rubbish hours then 😢
Exactly and still same price for 4 hours less and less chance of getting into a class!
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

My daughter had been back in the local LA gym 4 days a week since the day they reopened. She’s been in with nothing to do since March so was going out of her mind. She has to book a slot. Wait outside to be let in. Can’t use the showers or changing rooms. Has to sanitise the equipment when she finishes but also chooses to do so before she starts. One way system in place. She says the meat men corner is as full as it’s allowed to be most visits but she does running machines, cross trainer and rowing and has never shared with more than 5 people. Her mental health is hugely improved. It’s a calculated risk of course but she feels it is well managed.
Old 11 Aug 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

My DS has been going 4 times a week since ours opened. Same as others have said-have to book a slot, one way system, temp check on entry, hand gel and sanitisers everywhere to use before and after using equipment. They have spread all the equipment out over more rooms so more space generally. They close for an hour at lunch time to do a deep clean every day. He has only seen 6 in at any one time and had no issues getting a slot. Our gym is a community not for profit run business so really pleased they have managed to keep going and that people are gradually returning to support them.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
iloveholidays1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by The Fatadder View Post
My gym (local council owned) reopened just over two weeks ago when the national restrictions ended. I returned on the first day (but was on holiday last week returning to the gym yesterday.)

It is using a pre booking system, but I haven’t found it difficult to get slots the day before.) the first week after opening it was deserted, yesterday was a little busier but still quiet enough that there was no wait for equipment.

Inside they have emptied the spin room and filled it with equipment out of the main gym, everything has been moved apart with screens added to areas where it will be difficult to isolate.

There is a one way system around the gym, but a lot of people are ignoring it. (Though it’s so quiet it doesn’t make an impact in my mind, all be it that I still follow the arrows). All machines to be cleaned after use seems to be followed well.

A few bits have disappeared (no slam balls or matts) but given they would be a lot harder to clean I can understand it.

Will be taking my eldest to the pool tomorrow so will be good to see how that is...

All in all so far I’m just happy to be back, and slowly starting to repair the damage to my fitness caused by lockdown. Like you I’d managed to loose about a stone since the start of the year, thanks mostly to exercise. Put it all back on during lockdown!
Interesting - you description sounds just like where I work?
ASSports Oct/Nov 2014 ASSports August 2016 POFQ Aug/Sept 2019
Cabana Bay/Carribbean Beach Jan/Feb 23
iloveholidays1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Just thought I’d post a little update.
So with still no news of when the local authority gyms are going to be opening, I took the plunge and have got a membership at a 24/7 fitness gym.
I had my induction today. Or should I say, I should have had my induction but the trainer didn’t turn up. The manager was very apologetic and showed me round and he did seem genuinely concerned as to where the trainer was as apparently it’s not like him. He’s offered me a free personal training session to make up for it and kept coming to check I was ok. To be honest, I wasn’t bothered. I only wanted an induction in case there were machines there I wasn’t familiar with and they were all pretty standard so I still managed a work out.
I was actually quite happy with the gym. It’s got more machines, parking is easier, it’s closer to work and cheaper so think when it’s time that the LA gym opens, I might actually stick with the new one. The only thing it doesn’t have is swimming facilities but I don’t go swimming that often. I could pay on the door with the LA pool if they ever reopen and I want to go.
Social distancing was good, hand sanitizer and cleaning equipment was good so all in all, I’m happy and it felt good to be back! 😊

Edited at 12:28 PM.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
SmilingSammie
VIP Dibber

I can't wait to go back! Our gyms reopen next week

My First Ever Pre-Trip Report - Sept 2015
My 2nd Pre-Trip Report! - Sept 2016
My Orlando 2019 Trip Report
My Orlando Feb 2022 Trip Report
DLP - May 2013, May 2018
Florida - 1998, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SmilingSammie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Our gym opened last week but we haven't been back as yet. Think we will go next week to see whats what. So miss my 30 min run (dont run outside) Will start C25K again when we get back. Missed usuing the weight equipment too. I've exercised every day since gym closed which I will keep up as well as going to the gym as enjoy the adrenaline rush each morning. Defo feel fitter now that I actually did before gym closed which is good.