Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Aug 20, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I know how things like this can become so annoying.
I hope you take this in the good spirit intended.
Pay the money asap and remember the happy days you all had with your mum.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Dinglebert, I am sorry this has happened to you, it only takes something small like this to reopen many wounds, it shouldn't happen.

I am not making excuses for the HMRC but I would think it simply wasnt in the phone answers behest to allow you to not pay this. Their job is simply to uphold the law without prejudice so while I believe you do deserve an apology for the way it has been handled the HMRC are simply collecting what they are owed as they are legally obliged to do. (Dont get me into large corporations who dont pay tax)

I hope you can move on from this, following my parents death I managed their probates and it takes time and energy but now the details sit on the shelf filed away and I hope you can do the same soon.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
FIL passed away recently - apparently when an account holder dies the direct debit system sends a message saying the account holder has deceased.

British Gas’s Homecare sent him a letter saying ‘sorry you are leaving us’!
I'm sure you already have but please double check that they have not cancelled the Homecare Policy. When my Dad passed away I had a lot of problems with the Homecare Section and to cut a long story short I was advised the only way round it was to take out a new contract for my Mum. The amount of calls and emails I had to sort it was crazy but she saved money as it was cheaper as a new customer and she got a goodwill payment as an apology too.

Sadly she passed away 6 weeks ago but the bereavement team were very helpful and reassured me that the Policy could continue meantime until the property is eventually sold.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

I had something similar with Land and Property Services here in Northern Ireland and the rates on my late parents’ house. I let the house and became a landlord who is responsible for paying the rates. They couldn’t get their heads round this and the final straw was a letter addressed to my Dad sent to my address. I’m surprised they could make me out on the phone because I was literally hysterical. I did get a telephone apology from a manager but my heart still sinks when I see a letter from them some 7 years later.

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
I know how things like this can become so annoying.
I hope you take this in the good spirit intended.
Pay the money asap and remember the happy days you all had with your mum.
Thing is I don't think the money is owed. I have the last letter from NHS Pension which states the amount they paid and the tax she paid. The information the tax office hold is different it states she didn't pay tax on her pension "earnings".

I am waiting for a response from the pension people but I'm not allowed to speak to them as they are not a work. Instead I have to speak to a call handler who passes messages on.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

They can only ask you for the money, unless things have changed recently you are under no obligation to actually pay it. Think its on the Martin Lewis site somewhere
Old 13 Aug 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I had to pay HMRC after my Mum died and dealt with it all by letter.

BT were cheeky as they tried to get me to upgrade my own package! Soon put in their place but at least he apologised.

NatWest were the best I must say.
Oh that is naughty ! Big no no at Sky in that context , although I have had sons or daughters ring to sort out something on their (living) parents accounts and I’ve ended up giving them offers or upgrades on their own accounts too when they’ve said their parents are now getting a better deal than they are
OH is just back from taking MIL’s death cert to Barclays, they seem pretty on the ball.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

When my MIL died she was on basic pension, pension credit and attendance allowance. A person from DWP actually came out to the house and assessed her, looked at all her savings etc. Every letter she ever got then stated she need not declare a change in circumstances - they only got worse but she wouldn’t try to claim for more.

Six months after she died, after everything had been sorted as she had a very basic estate we got a letter From the DWP telling us not to disburse the money as she had been overpaid. We had to send all her details and were warned they may want her bank statement - too bad she didn’t keep them. We were so warned that it might be months before they got round to looking at it.

We are still waiting for permission to distribute her estate a year later!
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Oh that is naughty ! Big no no at Sky in that context , although I have had sons or daughters ring to sort out something on their (living) parents accounts and I’ve ended up giving them offers or upgrades on their own accounts too when they’ve said their parents are now getting a better deal than they are
OH is just back from taking MIL’s death cert to Barclays, they seem pretty on the ball.
Duchy. I think the Banks learnt the hard way about bereavements and so invested heavily into their Dept's.

I recollect Sky was very good and even refunded me a part Month of my Mums monthly direct debit which I certainly didn't expect.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by paw View Post
When my MIL died she was on basic pension, pension credit and attendance allowance. A person from DWP actually came out to the house and assessed her, looked at all her savings etc. Every letter she ever got then stated she need not declare a change in circumstances - they only got worse but she wouldn’t try to claim for more.

Six months after she died, after everything had been sorted as she had a very basic estate we got a letter From the DWP telling us not to disburse the money as she had been overpaid. We had to send all her details and were warned they may want her bank statement - too bad she didn’t keep them. We were so warned that it might be months before they got round to looking at it.

We are still waiting for permission to distribute her estate a year later!
Happened to us after Mum died 4 years ago. We only waited 10 weeks for their reply, which was a very snooty short letter which made me feel I’d been let off lightly !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List