Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jul 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Paradise Pier?

Back again with another question.

In reality this will more than likely be our only shot at getting to Disneyland so I really want to make the most of it. I understand that offsite/onsite isn't really the same as Florida but as this is a one off trip I'm aiming for onsite if cost allows. I'm hoping to rent DVC points for Grand Californian but that's not guaranteed so I'm looking at Paradise Pier. Looking at vlogs I'm not wowed by it. Any views on it? Good and bad please If I don't get the DVC points I'm not sure I'd have the budget for the Disneyland Hotel.

Edited at 08:45 AM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve stayed there a couple of times in the past so my impressions might be a bit out of date. It’s closer to the parks than the Disneyland Hotel and we used to walk through the Grand Californian to Downtown Disney - not sure if they’ve stopped that now? The rooms were spacious but the main downside was the queue for the lifts. The actual lifts only held about 5 people and there weren’t enough of them. We once got an unexpected upgrade to the Dana Point suite and that really spoilt us - shame it was only for 4 nights!
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
I didn't realise it was closer to the parks than the Disneyland hotel so that's interesting to know.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

We stayed there one night (2016) and thought that the room was themed well, but it did have a Holiday Inn appearance to it. From what I remember we ended up going past the Disneyland Hotel entrance to get to Downtown Disney (you could go across the road and through the Grand Californian which may be a little quicker). The other hotels have more options for dining right on their doorsteps, but TBH nothing is particularly far.

We did have a wonderful view of the big wheel and the fireworks from our room, just a pity that we didn't notice it before we went to sleep so only woke up half way through. We only stayed one night and then moved across to the Grand Californian.

Given the choice I would go for the Grand Californian. For me the theming was better. However there is very little in it and I would highly recommend Disneyland as a destination.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven’t stayed there but have visited a few times over the years and have not been wowed by it. It’s OK but very pricey for what you get.

I wouldn’t have said PP was closer to the parks than DLH though there is not much in it. I would have said PP was further away if anything, unless a new path has opened since we were last there which reduces the walk.

There are offsite hotels closer to the parks than either DLH or PP which I always found mind boggling until I saw it.
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Thank you. Grand California is the priority if I can get DVC points. If not I think I have a good off-site option as I'm not sure about Paradise Pier for that price.
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Thank you. Grand California is the priority if I can get DVC points. If not I think I have a good off-site option as I'm not sure about Paradise Pier for that price.
At the end of the day they are still just hotels - the main draw are the parks and you won't spend that much time in the hotel room. The public areas are great to explore and you don't need to stay there to do that. I haven't stayed offsite but have read good things about the surrounding hotels. You might want to do one night in one of the onsite hotels towards the end of your stay there to really get the most out of the hotel.

If you do stay onsite (and they run it) there is an early morning power walk through Californian Adventure that you can sign up for. It is free, there are no cameras allowed, and it is a great experience. They also do tours of the Grand Californian art work which was free and interesting.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

We stayed at the GCH a couple of years ago and really loved it! Got a fairly good discount rate booking direct with Disney.

While there I had a quick wander around DLH and PPH just to look around. I got confused trying to find PPH to be honest, and seemed like I had to walk past a parking lot, unless I was walking in the wrong direction or missed something? Anyway, I eventually found it, but it didn't "wow" me like the GCH. Not sure what the rooms inside are like.

I think you might not be able to cut through the GCH anymore if you are not staying there? If so the route to get to the parks would then be PPH --> DLH --> DTD --> parks. I'm not 100% sure of what the current rules are though!
Old 24 Jul 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

We stayed there last summer but had to walk past the Disneyland Hotel to get to the Parks. We couldn't use the Grand Californian as a cut through as the only entrance for non residents was via Down Town Disney.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List