Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Aug 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Cockerpoo owners

After losing our beloved Westie Monty over a year ago, we said we wouldn’t have another dog. One reason was we didn’t want to have to go through the heartache of losing another one but also because our work hours meant it would be on its own too much.
However, my wife is taking partial retirement at the start of December and is, from the end of August, working from home.
We are missing having a dog around the house so have decided to get another. A breed we are considering is a cockerpoo, the only thing that’s putting me off is they seem to be high maintenance.
Any cockerpoo owners, how often do you;
Brush them?
Have them trimmed?
And do you trim them yourselves or take them to a groomers?
Many thanks.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I have a cocker spaniel so I can only half help you (that was an attempt at humour). Below is from the cockerpoo club so hopefully it might be helpful.

My wife's friend was recently looking to buy a cockerpoo and some were being sold for as much as £3.000 due to high demand (well all breeds are silly money now - due to lockdown). I'm sure you're aware that there are many people taking advantage of the demand for pedigree dogs so many are badly breed in puppy farms and come in from abroad.

cockapooclubgb/grooming.html
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

We are currently dog sitting my sister-in-law's cockerpoo, so I don't know about regular treatments.
He had a shower last night as we'd been tot he beach and he found what we assume is fox poo in the dunes. And perhaps blackberries.
He's white with pale brown splodges and does get mucky paws, but he soon washes them off.
He is the most lovely gentle friendly dog - until he sees other dogs and then tries to go for them. That's probably because he lives in the middle of nowhere and rarely sees other dogs. We have to keep him on a tight lead when we see other dogs about.

Edited at 10:53 AM.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We have a golden doodle, so similar and bought from a breeder who also breeds cockerpoos (anzil doodles if you want to Google them).

All breeds of dogs are going for crazy prices now, might be some time before prices get back to normal again

Ours has to be combed at least alternate days and is professionally groomed every 8 weeks or less

He is the most amazing companion, full of love and joy. Picture added for cuteness

Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

We sadly lost out westie and have a cockapoo puppy. She's very loving, active but does suffer from separation anxiety (apparently common with the breed). We brush her every day but I think you could do it 3 times a week, I just brush her daily so she gets used to grooming.

She loves children, other dogs and I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Just be careful because the prices have tripled recently!
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
My sister has two. Shes a hairdresser by trade and often grooms them herself. They go to a professional groomer in-between. They seem to need grooming and brushing a fair bit as they get matted and her twos coat seems to grow quickly. They are lovely little dogs but both bark a lot and I mean a lot. I do think quite a bit of that is down to the reaction they get from my sister when they do it. They have been so in demand over recent years there's a lot of mass breeding/puppy farming with cockerpoos. The prices at the moment are eye watering 3k plus each. They were charging around £1000 pre pandemic.
Old 9 Aug 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

As a groomer I would advise brushing everyday and groomed every 6 weeks. I see a lot that are really matted and need shaved. Westies are great wee dogs get another one of them. We have had six in our family
Old 9 Aug 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

My sister also has two- brother and sister from the same litter. They get groomed every 10 weeks I think, and need brushing probably every other day. They do pick up a lot of seeds from the garden and depending on the thickness of the coat may need more TLC (one of the dogs needs more grooming than the other).

Very lovely natures, interestingly (unlike soooexicited report) they don't often bark but that is probably because they are with their owner a lot. Their recall is frankly appalling, but they are very happy dogs.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Cockapoos are lovely but very different from a Westie, they are high energy and need lots of excercise .
More high energy than my show type cocker spaniel .
They do need a fair bit of grooming too , they are lovely all the ones I know.
Old 9 Aug 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

We have a cockapoo but he looks and acts more spaniel, even his coat, so thats a positive as he needs less grooming. Everyone calls him a spaniel(including the vet) We bought from an approved breeder on the 'Cockapoo approved breeder list' on The Cockapoo Club of GB after having several appalling visits, so be careful especially in todays climate.

He is a very anxious dog and suffers with separation anxiety. He is very high energy and we walk him for at least an hour a day but usually up to two. He is so adorable and very loving. He can be a bit bonkers but I think thats just spaniel in nature. He is such a joy to have around. Grooming, about every 6 weeks. Although during lockdown, hubby has honed some new skills in grooming. Amazing dogs.