Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 11 Aug 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Kaysha
Earning My Ears

Sungrove Villas Florida

Hi dibbers, need some help. We booked our villa over a year ago, booked through Home away site, which we have used previously. It was a special family trip for myself and hubby's 60th birthdays this year and there is a party of 8 of us all our sons and partners going on Oct 31st for 2 weeks, deposit £850 paid, balance due 24th August this year. It did say on the site when I booked it that the deposit is non refundable. Anyways of course the unthinkable covid thing has happened in the meantime 🙁 we've been hoping and hanging on thinking we will still be able to go but with the spike in Florida cases and of course nobody allowed in country as yet we have given up that well get there now. This leads on to the fact we have had no communication regarding this and I did a bit of digging over the weekend on their own website, which revealed nothing, no notices or any advice on covid situ at all, i then found a post from July this year on Trip Advisor Forum saying what a bad experience they have had. Apparently will not refund or part refund any of the deposit or move the booking to another time, just says you will have to go through own travel insurance that this lady tried and she got no joy there either due to some cancellation regs. We hadn't got any travel insurance purchased yet so I was going to get in contact before remainder due this month to obviously try and maybe save our deposit or see if he would let us move dates but this is looking highly unlikely due to the Trip Advisor post. I wondered if any of you had any experience with this man or company or could advise, there us no address through Home away site, as the intermediary they are advising and hoping all their villa owners are doing the right thing in the current situation. The lady from Trip Advisor said also that Home away won't let you post anything negative review wise on their site 're. I understand when we made our booking that it did state No Refund of deposit but under current situation I was hoping that we could maybe at least have a part refund or change dates as it's out if our control getting there. I do have a rental agreement with the booking that comes with every get out not to return you any monies even if he cancels the holiday himself...only just read this properly as never imagined this would all be happening. So any thoughts would be welcome, I'm sure I'm not the only one by far with holiday problems ! The balance due on Home away site is still showing with no message or contact so I'm presuming he's still expecting us to pay it, which of course we won't be. Sorry this has gone on so long !

Edited at 08:08 AM.
Kaysha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

My understanding is that technically the Ts&Cs are what you signed up to. Covid doesn't change this and is they type of thing that you insure against.

However, what I am seeing is that some owners/companies are be more generous than others here. Some are offering full refunds (against Ts&Cs), some are allowing dates to be moved and others are sticking to their Ts&Cs.
Clearly the company you mention sounds like sticking to the Ts&Cs - which they are fully entitled to do.
Every case is different. All you can do is contact the company and very politely see what they will do to help.

We have been successful in getting our non-refundable deposits back. Apart from one which we have left open for future use. This is with a vill owner we have used many times and know well and trust.

Edited at 01:15 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Kaysha
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your input, I will let you know outcome on contact with the owner, which I haven't had as yet. I do understand the difficulty of the situation for all involved.
Kaysha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

He's within his rights not to refund or move the deposit. It's why you need to take out insurance before paying out money you don't want to lose.

Hopefully you'll find him more accommodating or maybe at least delay your balance until things are clearer. Assuming you'd still go.if it was allowed by them..
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Kaysha
Earning My Ears

Can't see us being able to go in reality, no entry to America, which could change, but when? Quarantining ? Getting insured to travel there with covid 19 spike in Florida? My dreams gone for this year.
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

If the t&c are no refund, your maybe better claiming on travel insurance? Hopefully you have through current account?
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

OP, of course no of us could have predicted this an I am sure we will be more careful with the contracts we sign in the future.

If you have signed a legally binding contract that states no refunds under any circumstances then the owner has every right to not refund you.

You made the simple mistake that you did not take out travel insurance at the time if booking and this is what insurance is for.

If you were allowed in the country you could use the villa, the country is not locked down and villas are being used. It really is not his fault you cany get there.

Many villa owners are refunding or moving dates but with the information you have given there is not evidence he has to do this.

Sorry

Edited at 08:09 AM.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Kaysha
Earning My Ears

We have already all agreed that we would use the villa for a different type of Florida holiday and would have been happy to do so if it was a definite we would be allowed in without quarantine and also quarantine on return to UK. Unfortunately, there are no definites in this situation as nobody can predict the outcome.
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

travel insurance should be taken out at the time of booking - so many companies remind or ask customers at that time. It covers many reasons for not being able to travel - some personal circs but also situations like this.

As he has not contacted you i expect he won't be refunding you - he may or may not have his own insurance for situations like this. Good owners have refunded or moved the booking but there are some who are happy to keep the money and perhaps claim off the insurance (not saying he is)

Check your T&Cs for the balance as you do not want him coming after you for non payment
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Kaysha
Earning My Ears

I will, thank you.