Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Aug 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thoughts on returning to the gym.

Hi all!
So pre-lockdown I managed to lose almost a stone between Christmas and March through a combination of healthy eating and increasing my gym activity.
When gyms were closed, I continued to keep the weight off by going for daily 2-3 hour walks.
But a week at an all inclusive resort followed by currently day 9 of quarantine and the weight has gone up a bit.
My local LEA gyms which I’m a member of are all still closed and as we are in a lockdown area it looks like they will remain so for a while but I can register with private gyms.
After quarantine, I’ll return to the walking but when I return to work and we move towards dark nights, I won’t be able to walk in an evening as where I live it’s not really safe (no pavements/lack of street lights).
So I’m thinking seriously about registering with the private gym. For those that have gone back to the gym, what precautions are in place? Do you feel it’s a safe environment? I’m obviously not totally averse to taking some risk as I did get on a plane full of people! 😬 But in gyms you have people huffing and puffing. It doesn’t feel like it would be as safe as the plane full of people.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My gym (local council owned) reopened just over two weeks ago when the national restrictions ended. I returned on the first day (but was on holiday last week returning to the gym yesterday.)

It is using a pre booking system, but I haven’t found it difficult to get slots the day before.) the first week after opening it was deserted, yesterday was a little busier but still quiet enough that there was no wait for equipment.

Inside they have emptied the spin room and filled it with equipment out of the main gym, everything has been moved apart with screens added to areas where it will be difficult to isolate.

There is a one way system around the gym, but a lot of people are ignoring it. (Though it’s so quiet it doesn’t make an impact in my mind, all be it that I still follow the arrows). All machines to be cleaned after use seems to be followed well.

A few bits have disappeared (no slam balls or matts) but given they would be a lot harder to clean I can understand it.

Will be taking my eldest to the pool tomorrow so will be good to see how that is...

All in all so far I’m just happy to be back, and slowly starting to repair the damage to my fitness caused by lockdown. Like you I’d managed to loose about a stone since the start of the year, thanks mostly to exercise. Put it all back on during lockdown!
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by The Fatadder View Post
My gym (local council owned) reopened just over two weeks ago when the national restrictions ended. I returned on the first day (but was on holiday last week returning to the gym yesterday.)

It is using a pre booking system, but I haven’t found it difficult to get slots the day before.) the first week after opening it was deserted, yesterday was a little busier but still quiet enough that there was no wait for equipment.

Inside they have emptied the spin room and filled it with equipment out of the main gym, everything has been moved apart with screens added to areas where it will be difficult to isolate.

There is a one way system around the gym, but a lot of people are ignoring it. (Though it’s so quiet it doesn’t make an impact in my mind, all be it that I still follow the arrows). All machines to be cleaned after use seems to be followed well.

A few bits have disappeared (no slam balls or matts) but given they would be a lot harder to clean I can understand it.

Will be taking my eldest to the pool tomorrow so will be good to see how that is...

All in all so far I’m just happy to be back, and slowly starting to repair the damage to my fitness caused by lockdown. Like you I’d managed to loose about a stone since the start of the year, thanks mostly to exercise. Put it all back on during lockdown!
Thanks. That’s really helpful. 👍🏻 I didn’t swim as much as I went to the gym but would love to be able to get in a pool right now.
Good luck with getting your fitness back!
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

My gym opened as soon as they could July 24th & we were first through the door at 6.50am 🙊loads of hand gel everywhere & spray & disposable cloths to clean the equipment.
You have to pre book your session now & can stay an hour, I’ve done one class, circuit training, it was just me & 1 other, the gym seems quiet I think many are still nervous.
Me personally couldn’t wait to get back as I’ve been doing my usual running walking cycling & online classes but wanted specific weight training.
I usually go twice a week 💪
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I go to JD Gym and honestly it couldn't have been made safer. Equipment all moved around so that there is plenty of space in between. Hand sanitiser stations on the walls everywhere. Cleaning stations with spray and wipes for you to clean down equipment before and after use. There are members of staff constantly walking around with spray and wipes cleaning down touch points all the time. It feels very safe.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

The comments are very reassuring to hear. When my quarantine period is up, I think I’ll check out the private one. It’s quite a bit further away from home but closer to work so should be ok until my usual one reopens. Thanks once again.
Old 11 Aug 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I love my gym! Back in the day it opened .

One way system, antibac wipes for mats and equipment. Markings on the floor as to where you need to place your mat (for classes).

The actual gym is being refurbed, for now it’s been moved into the bigger sports hall and more spread out.

The only thing that I like less is the instructor can’t leave the stage. Normally they can come and help/move you into the correct position. But that’s not the end of the world for now.

Just to add: mines council run, at the moment as not all the facilities/classes are open (the second gym down the road houses the pool for our membership and that’s closed) our memberships are half price.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We have cancelled our gym membership. They wanted £5 each a month to suspend it for a further 3 months or full fee to go back now. I waited a week to see what was going on and decided it was a waste of time. I will reassess later in the year.

My DH normally uses the exercise machines, followed by swimming, sauna or steam room. Reduced machines; no sauna or steam room, reduced numbers in pool but not pre bookable and best of all please do not use the changing rooms, go home to shower - wet from the pool!

Classes were reduced to 2 a day with half the normal number allowed in. Of the classes I normally go to only two were going to happen, booking opened at midnight and by a few minutes after there was a waiting list.

Now I enjoy the gym but I was not willing to pay to go through the stress of getting a slot once a week.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We also cancelled ours. It is council run but will only open at lunchtime til 8pm and classes will be half the capacity. I liked going first thing or else I get into something else. The classes I enjoyed were already hard to get into as very popular without being smaller. Luckily I haven’t put on weight during lockdown and have been able to keep up my riding lessons along with walking and gardening to keep fit. Only thing I’m disappointed with is my Silver Swans ballet classes as they are staying zoom based at the moment so I haven’t rejoined😢
Old 11 Aug 20, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I was another one back in the gym the day it opened.

Its a small private gym - very spit and sawdust hardcore type of place.

During lockdown she's (the owner) moved every bit of kit - and there's tons of it! repainted the floor etc.

There are lots of bottles of spray all around to wipe down the equipment and she has put in a sink in the front reception.

Everyone - and I mean Everyone - even the big bodybuilders - wipes everything down when they are finished.

You have to pre-book and it is supposed to be 90 minute slots but if its not busy you can stay longer. You have to swipe in, wash your hands on the way in but nothing else.

Ive never seen it so busy and I am soo pleased. The owner has put her life and soul into the place - and all her life savings etc so to see lots of new members is awesome!

The only class not currently running is the spin class - in the studio the spots on the floor are marked out but there is no issue with being able to get into a class.

Edited at 07:29 PM.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List