Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jul 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
It varies no two concussions are the same

My son had it a few months ago when he crashed his stock car and he was fine within a week

I had it when I crashed my car and it lasted a good 8 weeks .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Kicked in the head by a horse - a day.

Smacked my head on the sofa - signed off work for a week and couldn’t see straight at all!

Concussion really varies, hope she’s better soon x
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Mobile

Agree it can totally vary. A boy at school had a bad concussion after a very minor bang. He was on reduced timetable at school for nearly a term. Others with what looked like much more serious bangs have been fine in a few days. If the CT scan is fine that’s good but just be led by how she is and continue to take her back if you are still worried. Hope she recovers quickly.
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not in children but I had a really bad concussion in January - I cant remember what happened - I actually lost around 4-5 hours of time - but I have been told I fell backwards and slammed my head on the floor whilst skating (I was wearing a helmet).

During the concussion effecting me I thought I was absolutely fine, I actually carried on driving and coming to work although they sent me home every day! A week later I went to A&E on the insistence of work where I had to have a CT scan, blood works etc and got signed off work for 3 weeks immediately and banned from driving until I had been seen by my GP after the 3 weeks were up. Then got signed off for another 2 weeks by GP after they spoke to me.

Weeks 1 - 3 I was very angry and tearful the whole time, also really tired, exhausted and sleeping for 12-16 hours a day. Concentrating on anything for more than 5 minutes was difficult, short term memory was affected and for the first 2 weeks I struggled with maths and finding words / trying to explain things.
Weeks 4 - 6 I remained quite emotional but not as extreme but still a bit weepy and short tempered, still tired but sleeping more like 8-12 hours so a full night plus an afternoon nap, concentration was still difficult but better - I could manage 15-30mins, maths and word finding improved.

I wasnt fully recovered for about 4 months tho and had to have a repeat CT scan.

Concussions effect everyone differently, if things dont seem to be improving then take her back/call GP/out of hours, no Dr is going to refuse to see someone who has had a head injury and is causing concern.

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I got concussed around 7 years ago now. I tripped over my laces and into my pebbledash wall. I had to go to the hospital because I tore my eyebrow and forehead open as well as between my fingers from trying to stop myself falling. I also fainted in A&E as they glued my eyebrow back together.
I ended up fine after about two or three days. I mean, if that. But I was very confused and to this day, I don’t remember much about what happened, much less fainting in A&E. All in all, I think I lost about an hour.

Edited at 05:17 PM.
Junogirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

A worrying time for you but I hope she recovers well. No personal experience to offer you any advice.

However, on a practical level, I would recommend advising your travel insurance provider of her injury and treatment to ensure she is properly covered should there be any related problems during your holiday.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I had a mild concussion after falling off my bike, but only realised it after the event. I remember feeling woosy and hearing someone speaking to me in the distance. Like a fool I got up after a minute or two (I think) said I'd be ok and walked to work pushing my bike. I didn't know I'd featured my elbow until pain set in and was getting strange looks as my face was cut and scraped. A few days later I was trying to recall how I'd fell off but couldn't recall the few seconds leading up to it. I realised I must have been concussed, but it must have been quite mild. My cycle helmet was pretty bashed up, so I obviously hit my head, I think on a wall.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Liah123
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

Thanks to everyone who replied! It is two weeks since the accident and She is recovering nicely! In her eyes she is back to normal... I still want to wrap her in cotton wool for the summer...! 😂🙂
Liah123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Glad she's feeling better.