Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jul 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We’ve had various types over the years and we now have lightweight hard shell which we love. Seen too many cases left in the rain!
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Interesting points there ...
I’m looking at getting new cases and was leaning towards hard shell cases...
Always worried that they would ‘crack’ tho...
Really good point about being waterproof ... even tho we’ve travelled to Florida many times I never really thought about the contents of my cases getting wet from rainstorms ... only from bottles leaking inside...
Quality seems to pay too as per another poster although DS has worked behind the scenes at an airport and has seen just how they handle the cases so isn’t surprised when ours have dings.dents and damage to them ...

Has anyone bought cases whilst in Florida and if so from where.. what would you recommend ?
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We have a loft full of cases !

I had a fantastic hard shell case from TK Maxx brand name Carlton , it went all over the world with me ..until Florida where it came out damaged beyond repair

Next one a Four wheel spinner soft sided - brand new came off the carousel at Washington Dulles - one wheel ripped clean off.

stayed with Samsonite soft cases for a couple of trips but they are a bit heavy

Now have two Samsonite aeris spinners - one of which is about ten years old , its battered scratched but is a fantastic case.
mine is a new Aeris bought in April and has completed 5 flights with two more in September.
personally I would definately spend out and get a Samsonite , if you are a Costco member they had plenty of Samsonite in there last night.

* We have also had soaking cases come off at both Manchester and Fuerteventura

We came into Heathrow in April and I was shocked at the amount of damaged cases piled up next to some of the belts , definately more than I have ever seen before.

Edited at 09:12 AM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by show_the_magic View Post
Do you prefer the hard shell cases or the soft ones and why?
Having had two soft cases badly damaged - tears I them and items inside, although I thought well protected, damaged by other cases presumably being flung on top ……

I then got myself a hard case. Hubby stuck with soft. It was a good quality quite expensive hard case, but has proved its worth. No damage in 5 years travelling, nothing inside damaged, yet Hubby's case looks like its been through the wars. We do travel a lot on business as well as holidays, but for travelling by plane, I will always use a hard case.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thank you all, I'm going to go for the hard case! Really appreciate all the replies.
show_the_magic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve just bought an Antler Atom cabin bag I nearly fell over when the assistant stood on it and it just bounced back into shape. Again not the cheapest but I got mine from an outlet so did save a bit on it. I have learnt over the years as a general rule you get what you pay for.
pdcdad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm considering buying an Antler hard shell Richmond case from TK Maxx for £70. I've always used soft cases and never had any issues but always worry when we land in bad weather (which has happened on a couple of occasions and I know the cases have been abandoned mid-offloading). I take a few bin bags to pack dirty clothes in for return and I use these to line the case so that hopefully if the worst happens and the cases are left to the mercy of the weather gods the contents have a little bit of extra protection.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I have a trip and IT hard cases, mine have been all over the place, the IT ones are 8 years old now, but huge one has a damaged wheel (the case itself it cracked around it), it was my fault though cause I slammed it down whilst it weighed close to 35kg getting it out the car changing hotels!
Anyways the other cases are pristine!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FloridaFairy View Post
Interesting points there ...
I’m looking at getting new cases and was leaning towards hard shell cases...
Always worried that they would ‘crack’ tho...
Really good point about being waterproof ... even tho we’ve travelled to Florida many times I never really thought about the contents of my cases getting wet from rainstorms ... only from bottles leaking inside...
Quality seems to pay too as per another poster although DS has worked behind the scenes at an airport and has seen just how they handle the cases so isn’t surprised when ours have dings.dents and damage to them ...

Has anyone bought cases whilst in Florida and if so from where.. what would you recommend ?
We have a set of soft cases which have been used for 5 Florida trips and are starting to look a bit worse for wear. We over did it with the shopping last year and had to purchase an additional case when in Florida. We bought a Samsonite hard shell case in TJ Max and it is great, I’m going to try and buy some more before our next trip. The only thing I regret is buying it in black, I wish I had bought it in a brighter colour so it would stand out on the carousel.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
Always hard shell for us.

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List