Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
When my DD was 5 we flew to a wedding about 1K miles away. During the reception I noticed some spots on her and confirmed they were chicken pox. Called her pediatrician at home and was told she should not fly until her scabs had crusted over. She was contagious to others even though her case was mild and she wasnb't acting that sick.

I called the airline to see if they would refund her ticket and mine so I could rent a car and drive home. My ex and the boys would fly as planned.

I ended up talking to a supervisor after the initial customer service person said they would delay and rebook but would not refund the tickets. The supervisors suggestion was to just bring her on the flight and sit her away from others. So we had her in the window seat with me and a brother next to her.

I am not sure why they would refund the tickets as it would be safer for the rest of the passengers and I couldn't afford to wait over a week for her to be OK to fly without spreading the chicken pox.

So unless things have changed a good deal, you may be able to rebook for a later date although they won't refund your money.
This is shocking! It was good of the airline to offer to rebook, people are ill all the time, it isn’t the airlines obligation to deal with it, they had no obligation to change flights and certainly didn’t need to refund or provide alternate transport - that was a matter for insurance. Hopefully nobody on the flight became ill afterwards.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
When my DD was 5 we flew to a wedding about 1K miles away. During the reception I noticed some spots on her and confirmed they were chicken pox. Called her pediatrician at home and was told she should not fly until her scabs had crusted over. She was contagious to others even though her case was mild and she wasnb't acting that sick.

I called the airline to see if they would refund her ticket and mine so I could rent a car and drive home. My ex and the boys would fly as planned.

I ended up talking to a supervisor after the initial customer service person said they would delay and rebook but would not refund the tickets. The supervisors suggestion was to just bring her on the flight and sit her away from others. So we had her in the window seat with me and a brother next to her.

I am not sure why they would refund the tickets as it would be safer for the rest of the passengers and I couldn't afford to wait over a week for her to be OK to fly without spreading the chicken pox.

So unless things have changed a good deal, you may be able to rebook for a later date although they won't refund your money.
I’m appalled the airline let you fly ..and that you were happy to board

You should have claimed off your travel insurance to stay there and fly home at a later date

Instead you flying home endangered those with compromised immunity
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Wish people wouldnt ask for advice like this and not confirm update.
I can only hope that everything was resolved. Situation was hopefully not serious given that OP was so concerned about not being able to go.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
I can only hope that everything was resolved. Situation was hopefully not serious given that OP was so concerned about not being able to go.
After many years on here I have come to learn to not get too invested in other people’s problems , I read and may respond but never expect an update ,it’s polite to update but there could be many reasons why there isn’t one and entirely up to the OP if they want to divulge more information or not .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
I agree with others saying not to get too fussed about people not updating.

Particularly in this case, given the advice being asked.

It might be that everything is okay and OP got to take her child as planned.

It might not though, and OP may be looking after their child at home with a forum being the last thing on their mind.

Likewise, if the holiday has been cancelled/postponed, this might not be the place they want to visit.

For the OP - I hope everything is okay and that the family got to go away as planned.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post

The fact that she hasn't updated suggests to me there was a good outcome and they got off okay.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MEGGYJOE
Imagineer

Thanks for all your replies. I have only now had a chance to update anyone even my family as it’s been a hectic and stressful time.
My daughter is 18 but on Sunday was
was severely constipated and in pain.
Rang NHS direct but they said stop taking laxatives. She got worse then went to A and E but 6-7 hour wait and we were being picked up before that.We got to see a triage nurse but not a Dr.
We travelled to Gatwick in the most cramped people carrier ever and the trailer was leaking.
We got to Gatwick at 8am and we then had a taxi to Crawley to a walk in centre which was so much better then Wales.
She has an infection prob due to not going to toilet and toxins in her body. They have given her Antibiotics.
We only then just made the plane. It’s been very stressful but we are now here and having a chill day at the villa pool.
Old 20 Aug 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thank goodness your daughter was well enough to travel. I’m glad you made it! 6-7 hour wait in A&E! Our average is usually 2 hours and that seems long enough!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Glad it all worked out well and thanks for the praise for the Walk-in Centre, I will tell my friend who works there.
Old 20 Aug 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Thanks for updating us.

I wish you all well and hope you enjoy your holiday.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List