Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 May 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Points or cash for Tokyo Disney

Has anyone used points for Tokyo Disney or are we better off paying and saving our points

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
zavandor
Earning More Ears

The answer should be easy: using points for anything else than DVC resort is a poor use of points.

For example, 3 night in June mid week at the Mircosta, can be booked for $1300, or 171 points + $95 booking fee.

If you rent 171 points with a broker you'd get $2300. I rented myself my points at $15pp, which means 171 could give you $2561. Including the booking fee, you would get double the value for your points renting rather than booking with points.

Edited at 06:04 PM.
zavandor is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It depends on what you are going to do with those points, any of the "Swaps" are generally points heavy & you can save money paying OOP but if you were going to "waste" those points then better using them. The rental market has really taken off so as previous poster advised, rent out your points & pay cash.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
That makes sense, Thank you. I think I might sell this years allocation

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

This demonstrates how poor value it is often to use points. I always think points for DVC stays= fantastic value for money, Points for everything else= usually poor value and rent instead. There are some rare exceptions, but few and far between. The irksome thing is, that those points you use to trade out- they turn into cash bookings for Disney, who get a lot more than $15 a point- so not only do you get poor trade out value, you make Disney a very nice chunky profit on top. Take some of that profit for yourself instead.

Edited at 06:50 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Putting to one side the absolute poor value to use points (as I know some DVCers don’t care about that) I seem to recollect that the booking process for Tokyo is quite painful and you can’t be sure you will secure a room until quite close to your stay (leaving you with a problem if you can’t).

I may have this wrong but I am sure I read this in a few different places, including the very reliable Geoffa’s trip report to Tokyo (RIP Geoffa).
Old 8 May 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

I would actually say it's worth checking, as sometimes it works out cheaper to use points than to rent and pay for the hotel. We just saved by using points for the Disneyland Hotel. Had we rented the points it wouldn't have been enough to cover the cash cost.

When I've looked at the Miracosta before (we are planning on going next year), on certain dates points are more efficient.

However generally, you get better point value at DVC resorts. This doesn't mean that renting the points for cash will save you money at a non-DVC resort though.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List