Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 1 Jan 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
justry4n
New Poster (5)

Disney and Universal Planning - HELP!

Hi, me and my partner are coming to Orlando October next year for 2 weeks. It's each of our first time, and we are pretty lost when planning!

I've started planning using the forum vacation planner, but was wondering if anybody would be so kind to post what they have planned for their trips so I can steal some ideas

Thank you in advance!
Ryan
Old 1 Jan 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Welcome to the Dibb!

First thing to say is don't worry about the planning. Countless people just turn up in Florida and have an amazing time. But with some planning you might make it more amazing or just a bit easier!

For people to help I think you need to give a bit more info...

Have you booked anything yet?

Are you going to hire a car?

Do you want to do a split stay between Disney and Universal?

What things do you enjoy? Shows, coasters, character meets, harry potter, or what is it that has made you think of Florida?

The "easiest" florida trip (imo) would be to just do 2 weeks at Disney, no car, no Universal. Disney is so big you will not run out of things to do.

The options are endless!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
justry4n
New Poster (5)

I'm going in October, so hitting Universal is a must for scares - Ideally want to hit there 3-4 times in the trip.

I'm staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the entire trip!

Ryan
Old 1 Jan 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Are you all booked, can you change it? Staying at AKL when planning to do Universal isn't the best combo. If you stay at RPR or HRH you get front of the line passes as US and IOA. You would do a lot better splitting your stay and have 2 or 3 nights at one of those hotels.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
justry4n
New Poster (5)

I'd honestly prefer to stay at AKL, as that's my partners dream location. I don't mind getting Taxi's to Universal, which I have priced via Lyft around $55 a day
Old 1 Jan 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

The $55 isn't the main difference, or the 30-45 min journey each way. It is the front of the line passes you are missing out on - you can skip every single queue (except hagrid) as many times as you want.

But, leaving that aside.

Next look at theDibb busy day guide or the undercover tourist one is also good.

But you need to keep in mind that they are aimed at offsite guests. Being onsite you have access to emh at the disney parks.

So my general strategy is work out which emh you want to use, either the morning or evening. Hit those parks for that morning / early afternoon and then head off.

So as an example, say MK has morning emh on day 2 of the holiday, we would get to MK for the start of the emh, cross off a few bigger rides in the standby lines, have fp starting at half 10 ish and then when they are done either eat in the park for lunch or move on elsewhere for lunch.

As you work out which days for which parks, then book any ADR's that you need.

Make sure you build in a bit of rest, but if it is a 2 adult trip you probably need a lot less downtime than others.

Try drafting a plan and put it up here. Peeps will then be able to offer suggestions.

Happy planning!
Old 2 Jan 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You'll love AKL its beautiful! I wouldn't worry about an onsite stay at universal its great but you have a fantastic hotel with AKL. We travelled from AKL to Universal a few times on a previous stay and it cost us around $40 and took about 25 minutes.

I would think about which parks your most interested in and work with the busy day guide to see which is the best time to go to each. With Universal I tend to plan 1 day at each park then have a third visit to wrap up both parks. For us this was more than enough time and we can get everything we like to ride done in this time.

With Disney I usually tend to plan at least 2 days at Animal Kingdom, 2/3 days at Magic Kingdom, 2 days at Epcot and I only plan 1 day at Hollywood as its our least favourite park however with the new star wars bits you may want longer. We never plan rest times but we normally get to the parks early leave around lunch and either nap go to the pool or a water park but we never feel like we have to plan this in as we do this as and when we feel like it.
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

I would also consider a night at Universal - you don't have to cancel AKL, just don't sleep there one night!

Main reason is you get express included for 2 days and the cost of this would probably be more then the room will cost you so might as well get the room instead and then you don't have to waste time travelling back and forth
Old 2 Jan 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

If you can find my thread for our trip next October it might help. We're doing Disney and Universal too although for a little longer.
SteveyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I use touringplans to make the most of mine to get all the rides done we want
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List