Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Sep 21, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

What colour /size are your bins , what do you put in them and how often are they collected ?

I remember asking this a few years ago and being shocked by the variation in the different councils .

So we have 4 bins , all the big wheelie bin size. Nothing else .

Blue -recycling - collected every 3 weeks - glass bottles , plastic bottles , cans etc

Green -recycling collected every 3 weeks - cardboard , paper , books , magazines , newspapers etc

Brown - recycling collected every 2 weeks - garden waste and food waste

Grey - general rubbish - collected every 3 weeks .

Let’s see if we get the same mix of inconsistent coloured bins , different sizes and odd things like plastic containers and just loose bin bags left outside .

You drive through some places on bin day and it looks like a festival has just finished with everything being piled in different receptacles containers and bags

Oh , and don’t forget to say where you are from 😂

( I’m from Bury &#128512
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

3 Wheelie bins for us collected fortnightly (for past few years we now have to pay for the collection of garden waste bin, £30 per year I think).

So Brown bin -garden cuttings, grass
Blue recycling bin - paper, glass, cardboard, clear plastic bottles, milk cartons, aluminium (eg diet coke cans for me!).
Green bin - general waste

Blue & brown bins are collected one week (on different days), and the green bin the next week. But each bin collected fortnightly.

We are in Cambridgeshire.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

3 wheelie bins and a box

Black bin- every 2 weeks, general household waste that cannot be recycled

Blue bin - every 2 weeks - cardboard, cans, paper, plastic

Green bin - usually every 2 weeks but only seasonal, but currently monthly due to COVID - garden waste

Green box - every 2 weeks- glass

Collections alternate, so one week it’s the black bin, the next week it’s the green and blue bins and green box.

Edited at 10:32 PM.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Black wheelie bin - general rubbish, collected every week.

Brown wheelie bin - cardboard, plastic and metal recycling, collected every 2 weeks.

Black box - glass recycling, every 2 weeks.

Green wheelie bin - green garden waste, collected every 2 weeks (alternate to brown/black)

ETA - I forgot to say where I am.
This is Solihull, West Midlands.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP

Edited at 03:36 PM.
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Michyloulou View Post
Green bin - general waste

I wonder which council mastermind decided the non-recycling bin would be green ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

We just have:
Black normal sized bin: general waste
Blue: recyclable stuff
And we can order a green if we wish for garden waste.

In our neighbouring town in Merseyside, they have bags and a caddy!
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Wheely bin totally green for general rubbish. This was the first wheely bin the council introduced, years before recycling collections were happening. I guess they tried to choose the least conspicuous colour they could (go away green?) New houses nearby seem to be getting black bins instead.

Wheely bin green with blue lid all recycling (but no tetra paks)
Wheely bin (paid for) green with brown lid garden rubbish (annual fee)
Green caddy for food waste (smaller caddy supplied for use indoors)

All bins collected fortnightly apart from food which is collected weekly. At the moment we are having monthly garden waste collections due to driver shortages.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Black sacks - general waste - collected weekly

Orange sacks - paper and plastic recycling - collected weekly - many don’t seem to bother and just put out black sacks. We get a roll of orange sacks once every few months and have to visit a library to collect more.

We can put out cardboard that’s been flattened too.

We do have a green wheelie bin that we pay extra for, it’s for garden waste and is collected fortnightly. I’d say maybe 25% have these. We pay £52 per year. You can put garden waste in official borough green bags that you can buy from libraries at a cost of £5 for 10. Otherwise garden waste must be taken to the tip.

We’re in London borough of Havering.

I think we’re probably one of few places that don’t have bins supplied and still have weekly collections of all waste in black sacks.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 21, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

We are in Cheshire East, we have 3 large size wheelie bins all emptied every 2 weeks.

Black bin - general waste

Silver/pale grey bin - mixed recycling

Brown bin - garden and food waste

My in laws live in North Wales, I find their system a right pain in the rear.

Blue box - glass only - every week
Blue bag - paper and cardboard - every week
Grey bag - recycling - every week
Green food caddy - every week
Black small bin - general waste - every 2 weeks
Brown small bin - garden rubbish - every 2 weeks

They keep the food caddy, the blue box, blue bag and grey bag in their garage, which is fine because their garage is attached to their house. Our garage isn't attached to our house, so I'm so glad we don't have their system.
Old 4 Sep 21, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We have one big black wheelie bin collected fortnightly.

We have a recycling black box that holds glass/tins/plastic bottles and thin cardboard.

We have a small brown food bin.

And that’s it.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List