Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Mar 24, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jax1970
Imagineer

Jax1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Block paved driveway…..

I’m looking for some general advice re upkeep of a block paved driveway please? Drive was laid 2 years ago and has had no cleaning yet. It wasn’t sealed when laid. My house faces directly North, so some areas get little or no light and as such those areas are now very slippery.
Would it be better to have the drive jet washed and then treated to reduce the growth of future moss/algae, and then have sand added, or would it better to be washed sanded and sealed?
I’m getting different opinions from the people I’ve approached for quotes - but the quotes are similar in cost. If you’re in the business or just have an opinion from personal experience, please what would you do?
Old 31 Mar 24, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Power washing is not recommended. Loads do it and re sand and then wonder why a year later the blocks are loose.

Use a bleach patio/drive cleaner liquid watered on with a watering can or sprayer, leave it for an hour and hose off. Not power wash off!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 24, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I use Patio Magic. Great stuff for removing algee / slime. Takes a few days to work and I apply it 2/3 times per year.
Never power wash!
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 24, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Jax1970
Imagineer

Jax1970's Reviews
Thank you both for the advice. Sounds very logical. And like it might save me £200 too! So just use patio magic, leave a couple of days and then rinse off with regular hose? Sounds far too easy. Will have to find a person to do it for me - not sure I want the chemicals on my wheelchair wheels……

Out of interest, what should be jet washed? Garden slabs?
Old 1 Apr 24, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
It’s ok to power wash slabs if they are ‘free standing’ for example have big gaps and maybe gravel between them.
However if they have cement pointed joints then it’s even worse to use a Karcher on them than on a block driveway. The cement joints will just fall apart with the power of the water.

I use a Karcher to clean the garden walls, patio tubs and the car alloys, that’s about it.

I use Pro Kleen Patio and Driveway cleaner. Leave it on for about 45 mins to an hour then use a soft brush and the hose to wash it off. Stinks of bleach mind so you have to watch your eyes.

Pro Kleen make some good gear. Not cheap though. Check out various outlets such as the Company itself, Amazon etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 03:10 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 24, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jax1970 View Post
Thank you both for the advice. Sounds very logical. And like it might save me £200 too! So just use patio magic, leave a couple of days and then rinse off with regular hose? Sounds far too easy. Will have to find a person to do it for me - not sure I want the chemicals on my wheelchair wheels……

Out of interest, what should be jet washed? Garden slabs?
No need to rinse off.

I apply with a sprayer and thats it.

You can also use Sodium hypochlorite. I hear good reports of this and it is cheaper than PM. I will try this when my stock of PM runs out.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 24, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jax1970
Imagineer

Jax1970's Reviews
I really appreciate your help. What you’ve described is exactly what has happened to my patio every time it’s been pressure washed in the past. How on earth do these companies get away with it? And why is it such a part of our “expected” household upkeep!
I’ll have a good look at the products suggested, and try to find someone to use them for me. I think it might be a little difficult on my sloping driveway from a wheelchair….
Old 2 Apr 24, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Ive read quite a few people recommend a product called 'wet and forget', think you can get it off amazon. Not tried it myself though
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 24, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
pjc
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Power washing is not recommended. Loads do it and re sand and then wonder why a year later the blocks are loose.

Use a bleach patio/drive cleaner liquid watered on with a watering can or sprayer, leave it for an hour and hose off. Not power wash off!
Tom you sound like you have spent time In the building trade. 😉
pjc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 24, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I love that at the villa we have a guy who does soft wash of the drive and deck pavers and the roof tiles ( yep I need to get the drive and tge roof done yearly thanks to our HOA ) he uses a thing like a big floor buffer for the price it’s a steal
Here that mucking about with stuff sand etc a right pain
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List