Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Aug 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Electric bike carrier...

Hi,

We have recently purchased 3 electric bikes.

We would like to be able to travel to new places to ride them and so need a bike carrier of some description.

We do not have a tow bar (we could look into getting one if required)...

However at the moment the cheapest and easiest option seems to be... put 60% of the back seats down and throw one in the back of the car and then buy a rear boot carrier for the remaining two bikes.

The bikes weigh just under 20kg each. I have managed to find one rear boot carrier that takes a max of 45kg...

So my questions are...

Anyone have experience of a rear boot carrier, will it rub the paintwork if used regularly? Anything else to consider?

Could we buy a 3 bike carrier (higher weight capacity) and just put 2 bikes on it to stay within the weight limit?

Thanks in advance.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I thought of getting a tow bar fitted for my car to put my emtb on but because of how big/long the bike is it will overhang the car (my car is a medium sized car).

I wouldn’t put 40kg plus the weight of the carrier on the back of a car.

Edited at 01:12 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I thought of getting a tow bar fitted for my car to put my emtb on but because of how big/long the bike is it will overhang the car (my car is a medium sized car).

I wouldn’t put 40kg plus the weight of the carrier on the back of a car.
I've carried on looking and I think I agree...

I think we are back to a tow car and compatible 3 bike carrier... I will check the size of the bikes, we have a 4x4...

Big money unfortunately but hopefully it will be worth it to get to some of the lovely coastal bike paths etc

I'm just wondering how many more big purchases we are going to make using the excuse of 'well we won't have had a holiday for two years'...

Thanks.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
I've carried on looking and I think I agree...

I think we are back to a tow car and compatible 3 bike carrier... I will check the size of the bikes, we have a 4x4...

Big money unfortunately but hopefully it will be worth it to get to some of the lovely coastal bike paths etc

I'm just wondering how many more big purchases we are going to make using the excuse of 'well we won't have had a holiday for two years'...

Thanks.

Ali x
Providing you plan to regularly use the ebike rack then it’s worth it to get out and about. I hate using my emtb on the road hence why I wanted a tow bar carrier.

I had an estate it would fit into but it was awkward and heavy to get in and out the car plus putting a dirty emtb into the back of the estate after a mucky ride was messy even with a tarpaulin in the car.

The increased cost of going to Florida was getting so expensive even prior to the pandemic, so I am happy to spend money on other things, but I do agree that we use that as an excuse frequently (well I do anyway).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i'd love a carrier for my bike, but as its so heavy, i was looking at getting a tow bar fitted so i could get one of the stronger units fitted. putting it on the roof would be a major hassle due to the weight of the bike
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i'd love a carrier for my bike, but as its so heavy, i was looking at getting a tow bar fitted so i could get one of the stronger units fitted. putting it on the roof would be a major hassle due to the weight of the bike
Agreed, there is no way we could lift these bikes onto the roof given the weight of them and the height of the car, would definitely either damage the car or ourselves

Ali x
Old 17 Aug 21, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
Agreed, there is no way we could lift these bikes onto the roof given the weight of them and the height of the car, would definitely either damage the car or ourselves

Ali x
if/when you find something suitable, make sure you reply again with what you ended up getting!

at the moment, i only have one e-bike, but i'll probably getting one for the OH at some point, seems a bit pointless only me being able to go out on rides if we go away

(with the battery, mine is just under 25kg)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
if/when you find something suitable, make sure you reply again with what you ended up getting!

at the moment, i only have one e-bike, but i'll probably getting one for the OH at some point, seems a bit pointless only me being able to go out on rides if we go away

(with the battery, mine is just under 25kg)
Will do
Old 17 Aug 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Boo2you
Trying for More Ears

I have a buzz racks e-hornet and it’s brilliant. I have a levo full suspension andmy mate has a giant trance x both weigh 22 kg ish. We ride everywhere from bike park Wales to glentress regularly and the rack has been faultless. Bought it from the roof box company in Penrith. Wouldn’t fit an ebike to a rear mounted bike rack.
Boo2you is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Boo2you View Post
I have a buzz racks e-hornet and it’s brilliant. I have a levo full suspension andmy mate has a giant trance x both weigh 22 kg ish. We ride everywhere from bike park Wales to glentress regularly and the rack has been faultless. Bought it from the roof box company in Penrith. Wouldn’t fit an ebike to a rear mounted bike rack.
Thanks for the info

Looks like a good one, especially the weight capacity….

Ali x

Edited at 08:27 PM.