Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
howed
Swimming at the All Star Resort

howed's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Indirect flights should help. Or even book a return to a different east coast airport (airline hubs) and book a separate internal flight as flying internally in the US is very competitive. W are doing a stop over in Boston and this halved our flight price.
howed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dendycat View Post
Supply and demand. Not enough rents cars so prices have rocketed.
Why should there not be enough cars? Have all the cars been sold off during Covid? YES they have.

Edited at 11:32 AM.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by howed View Post
Indirect flights should help. Or even book a return to a different east coast airport (airline hubs) and book a separate internal flight as flying internally in the US is very competitive. W are doing a stop over in Boston and this halved our flight price.
Yes, but then the journey lasts forever. I am knackered enough after a normal flight.
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
There's a huge new car shortage, and lots of the rental firms sold off their fleets last year to stay afloat. So reduced inventory and increased demand = crazy prices.
That's really third rate management behaviour, but no less than what I would expect from greedy car rental companies. Surely now they can start buying new cars though, can they not?
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Concerned View Post
Why should there not be enough cars? Have all the cars been sold off during Covid?
Exactly that, most rental companies sold all there cars off, and now struggling to buy new cars due to chip shortages.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
You certainly need to shop around. It sounds like your main premium is coming from the car hire side, which as others have already mentioned rental companies sold their cars and having issues getting new cars. Therefore you might be better off booking nearer the time. Though if you look at the car hire thread there a few tips for getting cheaper car hire at the moment, I.e getting car hire with Hertz but not picking up at the airport location, you can often pay a third of the MCO price right now. Many places offer free cancellation so if things change you can always change your car hire.

With the above in September to early October. I’ve managed to get flights with BA for £575, 7 seater car hire for 19 days for £855 (gold package, tank of fuel, additional drivers etc)
That's not bad. But I need to fly premium because I have bad knees and I'm 22 stone and have a medical condition affecting my metabolism.
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

We are flying into Tampa - picking car up for a Hertz local rather than on airport, price for 16 nights is about £350. Drive to Orlando takes around 1.5 hours. A few years ago, it took us over 2 hours to collect car and get out of MCO, so we actually prefer Tampa now. Also flown into Fort Lauderdale and Fort Myers a few times and have a couple nights near beach before making our way up to Orlando.
If you can be flexible, then it's more doable...
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Yes, but then the journey lasts forever. I am knackered enough after a normal flight.
That’s one of the reasons why I’ve never flown indirect. Also the fact that when I get on a plane, I like to know that when I get off, I’m at my destination.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
That's really third rate management behaviour, but no less than what I would expect from greedy car rental companies. Surely now they can start buying new cars though, can they not?
They sold them so they could keep trading as no one needed car hire . I’m sure you would do the same if it was your business . The chip shortage is not just exclusive to cars it’s everything that uses one. The cars are made just need the chips .
We’ve just amended our nov 22 booking tha5 was made at the beginning of this year and the flight is almost full , 2 years worth of rebooking plus normal demand =higher prices .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ

Edited at 11:41 AM.
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

You’re looking at travel agents prices, which are always topped up even before covid. Wait till the flights are released and start searching.

Head over to the car hire forum for tips and tricks on getting near normal prices for the car. We’ve all been doing ok in there.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List