Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
howed
Swimming at the All Star Resort

howed's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Concerned View Post
Yes, but then the journey lasts forever. I am knackered enough after a normal flight.
It is a long journey, we are staying over in Boston to break it up and get to see somewhere new.

I guess it is dependent on what you want and are willing to pay for. I think if you want direct to Orlando you are going to pay through the teeth for it at least for the forseeable. Hopefully prices will come down as travel starts to get back to normal.
howed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Didgey
Serious Dibber

Like others have said you need to play around. Took me ages to find something I’m happy with, managed to get, just booked on the 10th Oct:

30/06 - 16/07

4 adults and 3 kids

Ba indirect Edi-philly-mco & 5 nights for 3 rooms at pop century booked through BA holiday. £8025 includes pool view rooms.

Car hire (pick up at Hard rock universal dropping off @mco. Mini van 7 seater, we will add on an Uber for luggage). £570 for 11nights picking up after stay at pop.

Villa for 11 nights, we always stay at our usual one in Sandy ridge with cracking owner - £1400.

All in, £10k so £1,428 per person (let’s be honest, kids are no cheaper these days!). So it is do-able to get costs in and around, you just need to keep looking and playing about.

This same holiday is now £2.5k dearer!
Didgey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by howed View Post
It is a long journey, we are staying over in Boston to break it up and get to see somewhere new.

I guess it is dependent on what you want and are willing to pay for. I think if you want direct to Orlando you are going to pay through the teeth for it at least for the forseeable. Hopefully prices will come down as travel starts to get back to normal.

Yes - love to use indirects to see new places - best was Toronto! This year we're doing 4 nights in New York, before flying into Tampa - Total £3300 for for of us, London-New York, New York- Tampa, Tampa-London.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

That's really third rate management behaviour, but no less than what I would expect from greedy car rental companies. Surely now they can start buying new cars though, can they not?
There's barely any new cars to buy. Chip shortages are making production impossible.

That's not bad. But I need to fly premium because I have bad knees and I'm 22 stone and have a medical condition affecting my metabolism.
Just a note that if you fly premium for the wider seats, Virgin are changing their planes next year to use the new leisure A350 on the MCO route which only has an 18" premium seat instead of the 22" seat they used to have on the 747s. You may get an older A330 which still has the good seats, but it's no longer guaranteed like it used to be a few years ago.

Edited at 12:39 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Yes, but then the journey lasts forever. I am knackered enough after a normal flight.
I have been battling this feeling for several weeks as we always fly direct. However I am not paying the direct prices. I’ve finally found routes indirect with times I can live with and have decided to suck it up. The flights have cost what I’d budgeted so we will manage. It’s only a day each end of the trip after all.
Old 17 Oct 21, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Didgey View Post
Like others have said you need to play around. Took me ages to find something I’m happy with, managed to get, just booked on the 10th Oct:

30/06 - 16/07

4 adults and 3 kids

Ba indirect Edi-philly-mco & 5 nights for 3 rooms at pop century booked through BA holiday. £8025 includes pool view rooms.

Car hire (pick up at Hard rock universal dropping off @mco. Mini van 7 seater, we will add on an Uber for luggage). £570 for 11nights picking up after stay at pop.

Villa for 11 nights, we always stay at our usual one in Sandy ridge with cracking owner - £1400.

All in, £10k so £1,428 per person (let’s be honest, kids are no cheaper these days!). So it is do-able to get costs in and around, you just need to keep looking and playing about.

This same holiday is now £2.5k dearer!
I would need to re-mortgage my house to pay this!
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
I have been battling this feeling for several weeks as we always fly direct. However I am not paying the direct prices. I’ve finally found routes indirect with times I can live with and have decided to suck it up. The flights have cost what I’d budgeted so we will manage. It’s only a day each end of the trip after all.
Unfortunately I'm a prisoner of BA. I have £700 of vouchers that need to be used by 30/04/2023.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Unfortunately I'm a prisoner of BA. I have £700 of vouchers that need to be used by 30/04/2023.
They’ve been extended to 30/09/23.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
We are flying into Tampa - picking car up for a Hertz local rather than on airport, price for 16 nights is about £350. Drive to Orlando takes around 1.5 hours. A few years ago, it took us over 2 hours to collect car and get out of MCO, so we actually prefer Tampa now. Also flown into Fort Lauderdale and Fort Myers a few times and have a couple nights near beach before making our way up to Orlando.
If you can be flexible, then it's more doable...
Can I ask, did you book direct via Hertz website or another?
We have got flights at an acceptable price ( acceptable to us anyway) just really struggling with car hire. We have always used Alamo but the price is crazy! Thanks
Old 17 Oct 21, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Didgey
Serious Dibber

I would need to re-mortgage my house to pay this!
It’s one last big trip for us all then giving Orlando a rest for a good few years.
Didgey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List