Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Oct 21, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My sons first visit was 6, we then went for a final time at 9, then 12, 14, 19 (he went on his own with a friend at 18), for Feb trip he will be 24.

The trips have changed tremendously I have to say when he was 9 and then 14 when we stayed at BC were the most magical for me.

We stay in the WDW bubble but have a car and always visit universal and other trips out. Amazingly even though he's travelled the world solo, is an adrenalin junkie, he still enjoys WDW with his mum!

(might be because i pay!)

PS to add if someone doesnt want to go accept it, you are unlikely to change their mind, my hubby went first trip hated it and never been since. He did like florida but not the theme parks we enjoy.
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive

Edited at 02:25 PM.
baggies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We would have to respectfully agree to disagree on that one.

On our first 4 or so vacations with the boys aged from 2 to around 8, they got the very most out of WDW. By the time my eldest was 8, he was on his 4th or so visit and my younger one his 6th

By the time they reached 7-8, they increasingly considered it childish and very much had a preference for Universal, SW and BG… other than Hollywood Studios.

Once they got to 54 inches at around 10-11 years, then it was simply no contest! Disney was no more.

I would say that any age over 2 is a good age as the kids tend to believe that it is all real and there is something magical in that, just like Father Christmas, but that heat and tiredness have to be monitored carefully. We tended to visit in the earlier months of the year, always make rope drop and be out of the parks by early afternoon. Afternoons were either water parks or other activities, evening meal then early to be in order to hit rope drop next day.
I suppose the Magic Kingdom is suitable for the smallest kids. But the other three Disney parks are more for older kids and teenagers.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Planning on taking mine when he is 6, purely because he should be tall enough for most rides then. Can't think of anything worse than him wanting to go on a ride and being told no! Meltdown o'clock.
However, my friend is taking her 2yr old next year and I'm sure she'll still have an amazing time, just in a different way Depends if you think this is going to be a once off trip or if you can go again and again!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We took ours at five , he was old enough to understand waiting in line and accustomed to having to stay seated at times at school. He was a dream on the flight , so much so that I told him he could choose our first park (it was just the two of us Daddy was joining us after a meeting in NYC the next day ) , all of them he says! So his first WDW day was Three park challenge (thankfully no AK yet it was the 25th anniversary)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzygirl
Trying for More Ears

I think it depends on the temperament of the children. We took ours to DLP when they were about 5 & 8. Our youngest was a little monster, kept running away having temper tantrums, and we found queuing a nightmare, we had all sorts of treats and games planned for the queues, but made no difference.
When we went to WDW they were 13 & 16. Both still young enough to enjoy all the magic, but old enough to not have to plan everything for them.
But as long as you have happy children, and not a monster like we had, go as many times as you can afford to. X
dizzygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My own kids went from 2 yrs , they had been elsewhere though like Europe and Las Vegas.

My granddaughter first went to WDW at 9 weeks , by the time she was 15 months old she had been to WDW twice, Disney California, Vegas,LA, North Carolina etc etc (basically her first four holidays were USA road trips ).

Of course she can’t remember them but that didn’t matter to us, what mattered to us was she was there on family holidays and we have some brilliant photo’s and memories .

She’s 3 now and we will in a few weeks be off to Disneyland California and Vegas, she is very excited to see Mickey /Minnie/Elsa etc .

She’s a good kid, brilliant at travelling ( we do a lot of long car journeys )so hopefully she’ll have a fab trip.

My youngest said at 4/5 the characters weren’t real , and by 8/9 he was totally over Disney , he will come to Disneyland in February but only because his girlfriend wants too
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
andyh
Trainee Dibber

We took DS at 7months, 2 Years, 4 Years and soon (hopefully) 7 years.

Every time was fantastic and we planned our days accordingly making sure things were not too much for him, pool days etc. Would we do it again at these ages, absolutely :-)

Its a small world is STILL his favourite ride...

Edited at 07:06 PM.
andyh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Oh the big question, I think you just have to be realistic about what you are going to be able to do. Younger kids will get tired and need naps, perhaps out in the morning and rest at lunchtime. As for memories young children will remember nothing but they will smile and you will get some great photos
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

We took ours at 4/6 years old, we had an amazing time overall but it was hard work by the 4 year old by day 7 . I wouldn't wish any different as we fully enjoyed ourselves, but just bare in mind, the youngest may crash and you need to step back and adjust plans. A pushchair was a must for him, id say easy up to the age of 5+ - walking is no joke there.

So for me, 4y+ - if you understand the hurdles that come with it. Id say 6y+ for rides /more patience/ more understanding xx
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Something I should have added to my post earlier was that when going with kids you have to expect that’s going to be different and not compare it to old trips. To me taking a little one is about seeing it through their eyes so we’ve had a few years where we have avoided the big rides to enjoy the kids friendly rides that we could go on together (I mean we didn’t go to universal for years as we just knew it would be no fun for our boys). There are a pair of you tubers who are taking their toddler to wdw next year and they have done videos about the rides they want to go on and the ones they listed were mostly rides that you’d need child swap for. That’s no fun for a toddler. Go with it and I’m sure you have a great time no matter what age.