Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jul 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
shenzy
VIP Dibber

Waikiki Beach Accommodation

Just wanted to get some thoughts on accommodation in the Waikiki beach area. We're looking at going next July.

Has anyone ever booked an Airbnb in Waikiki ?

x
shenzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 20, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

What’s your budget? And family make up?

For two of us Waikiki has better deals in hotels than Airbnb (unless we’d been staying for weeks). The Waikiki hotels are pretty cheap for Hawaii.

We’ve always used Airbnb type accommodation outside Waikiki as there are fewer hotels.

Be careful they are ‘legal’ as some (many?) aren’t apparently.

Edited at 11:59 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
stayed at th outrigger, great location opposite the market and a block from the beach, great hotel not to expensive
outriggerwaikikihotel.co...isit%20website
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We stayed in the Royal Hawaiian a five minute walk from the beach
The condo was small but had everything we needed including beach chairs cool box etc
We had booked a beach house costing an arm and a leg but it was sold
The condo actually worked out better in hindsight as we didn’t need a car we walked everywhere
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ShenzyT
VIP Dibber

Thank you everyone for your replies.
There's 5 of us. Myself DH, DD(15), DS(13) and my sis. So would either be 2 hotel rooms (hopefully with a connecting door), or a suite / condo of some sort.
Did anyone prefer being on the beach or was being a block away ok ?
Nov 1998 - Quality Inn, Oct 1999 - AS Movies, Nov 2008 - AS Music, Sept 2009 - CBR, Oct 2010 - PORS, Oct 2012 - SSR, Oct 2014 - Emerald Island Resort, Oct 2015 - OKW, Oct 2016 - CBR, Oct 2017 - SSR, Oct 2018 - CBR & HGVCSW, Oct 2019 - AKL, Dec 2021 - Windsor Hills Resort, July 2022 - West Coast & DLC, July 2023 - PORS & Merritt Island
ShenzyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ShenzyT View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies.
There's 5 of us. Myself DH, DD(15), DS(13) and my sis. So would either be 2 hotel rooms (hopefully with a connecting door), or a suite / condo of some sort.
Did anyone prefer being on the beach or was being a block away ok ?
I’ve never been able to afford to be on the beach and suite style accommodations can be pricy in Waikiki. But I would suggest Airbnb or a managing rental agent might get you something that would work better for your travel party than two hotel rooms?

Waikiki is extremely walkable, you’d struggle to find somewhere more than ten minutes walk from the beach

My dream hotels to stay at would be the Royal Hawaiian but it’s been too expensive. I would then chose the Moana Surfrider or Outrigger which are a bit cheaper but again too much for me.

The Illikai and Embassy Suites get recommended for family groups but no personal experience.

I stayed at Royal Kuhio, which does have family suites, but I would not recommend it at all as the accommodation was very dated (and felt not very clean) and worse was very very very noisy 24/7, wouldn’t go back again.

We also stayed at Queen Kapiolani which we loved - it’s at the end of Waikiki by the zoo and overlooking Diamond Head. Very quiet, just refurbed (Dole Whips on sale!). Wonderful staff -though to be honest we found that most everywhere in Hawaii. And very cheap, less than half the price of any of the options I mention above (about a quarter of the price of Royal Hawaiian). We had a pretty big room too. Four minute walk to the beach, if that.

10/15 minute walk along a lovely promenade with hotels, restaurants, shops etc to get to the ‘main’ shopping area
Old 7 Jul 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We stayed at the Hilton Waikiki Beach in there rainbow tower
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
We stayed at the Hilton Waikiki Beach in there rainbow tower
Is that the Hilton Hawaiian Village rather than the Hilton Waikiki Beach? I thought rainbow tower is at the HHV not the Waikiki Beach Hilton (episode of Man vs Food here, fun to watch! We failed!)

Personally I’m not so fond of the location of the HHV and it’s a massive hotel - think it’s the biggest in the USA after the Vegas ones (?)

It’s a great location for the Ala Moana shopping centre though