Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 9 Jul 20, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mandsjh
Apprentice Imagineer

Universal rides - scary?

So doing universal for the first time.

How do the rides compare to Disney?

I’m fine with space mountain and tower of terror.

Don’t really like Everest and rock n roller.

Kids and hubby will do everything.

How do things like the mummy and Hagrids compare?
Mandsjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Hagrids is soooooo good! Wouldnt say its scary as such its just great fun! I didnt do rip rocket as didnt like the way it went up! Also didnt do Hulk, hubby done both and said overwith in seconds! Hagrids defo a must though.
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

It’s like stepping up from a Ford Focus to a Ferrari.

Whilst the theming of the Disney rides is excellent, so is that of Universal. Seaworld/Busch are minimal in this aspect. Both Harry P areas are quite simply superb, as are the rides.

By the time you are 10, you can go on practically everything in Disney. Many rides in Universal, Seaworld and Busch are 54 inches height minimum. We find the Disney stuff extremely tame in comparison.

Whilst I say that Universal is a ‘step up’ towards extreme, I would suggest that some of the offerings of 6 Flags, Thorpe Park and Alton towers are a step up again!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mandsjh View Post
So doing universal for the first time.

How do the rides compare to Disney?

I’m fine with space mountain and tower of terror.

Don’t really like Everest and rock n roller.

Kids and hubby will do everything.

How do things like the mummy and Hagrids compare?
I think Universal has quite a mixed bag of rides. Quite a few virtual ones, a few extreme rides and then more family friendly ones like the Hippogriff coaster, a carousel and one of those rotating ones, same concept as the teacups.

I think if you are ok with Space Mountain you should be ok with the Mummy. You might not like the Hulk or Rip Rocket, the latter we have thus far not plucked up the courage for. We thought we would do it last time, but after examining the test chair we decided against it.

Personally, I don’t think it is a step up or a step down from Disney, I just think it is different.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
By the time you are 10, you can go on practically everything in Disney. Many rides in Universal, Seaworld and Busch are 54 inches height minimum.
Only one ride at Universal has a height restriction of 54" (or above). And that's the Incredible Hulk coaster.

The ride height restrictions at Universal aren't that much different to those at Disney. See here for a list of height restrictions.

There are a couple of rides at Universal that are more intense than rides at Disney (eg. Hulk, Rip Ride Rockit, Mummy) and if the OP doesn't like the bigger coasters at Disney then they probably won't like the big coasters at Universal. There are plenty of other rides to do at Universal that are not as thrilling as those and some that are definitely aimed at kids.

Now, Seaworld and Busch Gardens are different and they do have a lot of rides that have a height restriction of 54" or more. The 3 main coasters at Seaworld and around 6 rides at Busch have high height restrictions and are fairly intense.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
ABZDisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

The only rides that we gave a miss in Universal last year were Rip Ride Rocket, Hulk & Dr We were both nervous about the Mummy but we both loved it, it's a great ride, as are Forbidden Journey & Gringotts.
We were lucky enough to get on Hagrids & can honestly say it was incredible, not scary in the least, just a really fun & well themed coaster.
November 2014 at Old Key West & The Yacht Club
November 2012 at The Swan
ABZDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Universal is different to Disney. I thought my DS would love it as he loves the thrill rides, but he wasn't a massive fan of all the simulator style rides where you have to wear goggles. There are lots of these including Simpson's ride, Spiderman, Kong, Jimmy Fallon Race through NY, most of the Harry Potter rides. Personally I liked them but you have to wear goggles and while they are rides too it's a lot of screens. There are the big coasters too like Rip Ride Rockit and Hulk, they look very intimidating but Hulk is my favourite ride at Islands. The mummy is a good dark in door coaster. Similar to Rock and Roller at HS, but mummy doesn't go upside down.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
It’s like stepping up from a Ford Focus to a Ferrari.

Whilst the theming of the Disney rides is excellent, so is that of Universal. Seaworld/Busch are minimal in this aspect. Both Harry P areas are quite simply superb, as are the rides.

By the time you are 10, you can go on practically everything in Disney. Many rides in Universal, Seaworld and Busch are 54 inches height minimum. We find the Disney stuff extremely tame in comparison.

Whilst I say that Universal is a ‘step up’ towards extreme, I would suggest that some of the offerings of 6 Flags, Thorpe Park and Alton towers are a step up again!
For me the best rollercoasters are at SeaWorld...as you say, they're not particularly themed but they are fantastic!

Disney is special for what it is...the rides are not going to leave you breathless from an adrenaline point of view but Disney does have something that none of the other parks have IMHO.

I've been going to Universal now for over 20 years and last time was the most disappointing for me. They've taken away so many good rides and swapped them instead for simulators. The water rides at Universal are brilliant and some of the coasters are good but the simulators (for me) just get a bit samey
b00110908 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

Hulk and RRR (which doesn't go upside down and only the bit at the beginning is that bad) are the intense coasters at Universal. The Mummy is smoother than Space Mountain so I wouldn't say that is more challenging than the Disney coasters.

Hagrid is silky smooth, thrilling and possibly the best ride in any of the parks. I liked it more than Avatar (which is superb)

IOA has 2 screen attractions - Spiderman (which is one of the best things in Orlando) and Kong. Forbidden Journey, Cat in the Hat and Poseidon have screens but they also have a lot of physical effects so I don't class those the same, nor the Hogwarts Express which is a train ride. The other 12 rides at IOA don't have screens and they are adding the Jurassic Coaster which looks like it will be similar to Cheetah Hunt.

Studios does have a lot of screen based attractions - great for when it is raining! Aside from the truly dreadful Fast and Furious, I like them all.
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

You probably wouldn't enjoy hulk or RRR then, these are fairly intense.

The mummy, is fast but not intense and you may like this. Gringotts is a similar intensity as the mummy.

Hagrid's is fantastic, fast and exciting.

I would try them all and make your own mind up, they only last a few minutes