Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Jul 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
captainuk
Trying for More Ears

West Coast Road Trip

We did part of route 66 on our road trip last year. Started in LA then down to San Diego, then over to Sedona, up to south rim of Grand Canyon. Picked up part of route 66 on the way to Las Vegas. Seligman is a good stop for a couple of hours, loads of memorabilia and they claim to have founded route 66 or the idea of making it famous. After Las Vegas we went up to Yosemite and then over to San Francisco and finally back into LA. It was the holiday of a life time, over 2000 miles in 2 weeks and 9 different hotels.

Would do it all again without a doubt.
Old 21 Jul 20, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

We have done Route 66 from start to finish - chicago to Santa Monica
We detoured off to monument valley and Grand Canyon
It was such a fantastic road trip
My advice would be try not to do too many miles in a day!
Have a search and you should see some posts I wrote 👍🏻
Old 23 Jul 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
We did Route 66 last April/ May starting in Chicago
We did a detour going to Lake Havasu ,Monument Valley,Grand canyon and Vegas
We used the Ez66 guide as well as a Route 66 Facebook page .
It was certainly an amazing experience.
Sounds like an amazing trip! So glad you enjoyed yourself. I am thinking of adding Grand Canyon onto the trip as well. Monument Valley is on my list for a future trip around the Utah national parks though so probably not that one this time.

I have ordered the Ez66 guide and the maps. Also following a few FB pages and have got myself quite obsessed considering I don't even have anything booked! Feel free to share any hints, tips or must visit places if you think of anything
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captainuk View Post
We did part of route 66 on our road trip last year. Started in LA then down to San Diego, then over to Sedona, up to south rim of Grand Canyon. Picked up part of route 66 on the way to Las Vegas. Seligman is a good stop for a couple of hours, loads of memorabilia and they claim to have founded route 66 or the idea of making it famous. After Las Vegas we went up to Yosemite and then over to San Francisco and finally back into LA. It was the holiday of a life time, over 2000 miles in 2 weeks and 9 different hotels.

Would do it all again without a doubt.
Sounds like an amazing trip, thank for sharing! Sedona is on my list of a possible detour, it looks so beautiful - I love the look of all the rock formations and imagine there would be some amazing hikes. Seligman also looks like a great town and is most definitely on my list Thanks again for sharing.
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sunset girl View Post
We have done Route 66 from start to finish - chicago to Santa Monica
We detoured off to monument valley and Grand Canyon
It was such a fantastic road trip
My advice would be try not to do too many miles in a day!
Have a search and you should see some posts I wrote 👍🏻
Wow, so nice to find someone that has actually done the whole route I will go searching for your posts later on, thanks!

How many miles is too many in your opinion? There is such a lot to fit in!
Old 23 Jul 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
I have ordered the Ez66 guide and the maps. Also following a few FB pages and have got myself quite obsessed considering I don't even have anything booked! Feel free to share any hints, tips or must visit places if you think of anything
The planning is totally addictive. You’ll love it once you get into it and start making a plan. We haven’t re-booked yet after having our trip cancelled but I’m still constantly reading Facebook pages, looking up hotels and places to eat and making mental notes (I should probably write them down!). I think it’s the kind of trip that you can never have too much information for.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
RICO
Trying for More Ears

Search for a chap on YouTube titled 'California Through My Lens', also 'Through My Lens' for things outside California. This thoroughly watchable chap did the complete trip with his father last year and he uploaded many, very informative trip reports for each section of Route 66. Especially good if you like the quirky, off-beat things that he seems to relish sometimes.
Old 4 Aug 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RICO View Post
Search for a chap on YouTube titled 'California Through My Lens', also 'Through My Lens' for things outside California. This thoroughly watchable chap did the complete trip with his father last year and he uploaded many, very informative trip reports for each section of Route 66. Especially good if you like the quirky, off-beat things that he seems to relish sometimes.
Thanks for this - that was actually the first Route 66 video I found and I loved it! It was the one that persuaded me Route 66 was definitely for me and I got tonnes of ideas and notes from it