Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Aug 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Bear in mind neighbouring LAs can have different holidays. Particularly half terms can be different weeks.

I wouldn’t book anything other than the summer until you know which LA you are in.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
hols2florida
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It won’t make much difference but inset days are worked pro rata. Full time staff will work all 5 & part time staff will work less (I do 24.5 hours & have to do 3 inset days).
hols2florida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
School teacher
Very Serious Dibber

We only ever go in the Summer holiday.
School teacher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have no leeway on the term dates, I get 14 weeks off in total (can’t complain too much there!)

I have 2 weeks in October, 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week Feb, 2 weeks Easter, 1 week in May and 6 weeks in the summer. Next year is my first year I’ll be tied to the holidays as I only started in education last September and all my holidays for end of 2019/2020 were booked prior to me starting and so they had to honour them but we have booked 2 weeks right at the start of the 6 weeks nest year

We would’ve done the end of the summer but as I work in Secondary schools I have to work the results days so that complicates things too! So keep that in mind if she decides to work in a secondary!

Next Trip: Canary Islands June, 2023
meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Shell52
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
Look at Local Authority's websites for that info if she knows which region she'll be in - doesn't vary by school. Well, up here it doesn't.
It could do if she works in an academy. Academies have the freedom to set their own holidays. In practice, they probably do follow the Local Authority, but they don't have to.
Shell52 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I went to Florida for a week in February half-term this year, for a special birthday - it was just perfect. The weather was lovely, although I think this is not guaranteed, but to spend a day on the beaches was just lovely.

For our usual family holiday, we go in the Summer holidays - have to be back in school for results day, and like to go in the week before we are due back to get classroom, wall displays etc in order.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Wishuponastar
Excited about Disney

Some schools don’t always stick to the set holiday dates though. In our school we do all our insets as twilights after school so we can have 2 weeks off in the May/ June holiday. This is a better time to go than the Easter or the summer hols. I’d definitely wait and see.
Wishuponastar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Holidays here are set by the local authority.

We’ve gone in the summer quite often, yes heat can be annoying but you can have a longer holiday.

We’ve once done Christmas and New Year - managed 11 nights. Great but very busy, I’d do it again though.

We’ve once gone at Easter, luckily we caught it just before spring break and did 9 nights.

This year we did the February week, finished school on the Friday, travelled Saturday, arrived home on the Sunday afternoon and back in class on the Monday. I wasn’t sure it was the best idea but it worked out really well and we had a fantastic time.

We get a week in October and I’d love to try Florida next year for a week at this time.

Lots of opportunity but no flexibility at all outside set dates.

Edited at 08:19 AM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
janeg88
Imagineer

janeg88's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We get two weeks in October, so usually go then.
janeg88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Stevelovesfl
Excited about Disney

Can you not go in year three in September/October before she starts back at Uni? If it is a present for graduating then go in August? My wife was a teacher and we had a 2 week holiday in October but it was booked before she started the job so it was agreed as OK. As an NQT I’m not sure how favourable a future employer would find this. As an NQT she will be busy for her first year in the holidays apart from August says my wife who’s a mentor for Uni teachers mainly doing school placements.
Stevelovesfl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List