Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 1 Jun 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
samhartwell
Very Serious Dibber

rented points reservation for June 2020 help

So we rented points (with DVC rental) this was our first time and the dates of travel were June 27 staying at the grand californian villas

As of now we cannot travel but also Disneyland and the hotel is closed

I contacted the DVC rental and they have said happy to give us a credit to use until May 31 2021 (june use year) BUT its very unlikely that we can go that early in the year.

One option I have is to cancel the DVC booking and claim through travel insurance - but then would the DVC owner be able to use their points and in effect get paid twice?

I don't necessarily want a refund from DVC just the ability to re-book but later in the year

Thanks

Sam
Aug 2015 - West Coast road trip number 2
July 2017 - East & West Coast trip No 3
samhartwell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Probably worth checking that timeshare points/accommodation are covered by your travel insurance.

Many would expect you to get a refund from the supplier because they can’t supply you with their product
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
samhartwell
Very Serious Dibber

Yes so its covered under our insurance (28 days before booking) in theory anyway, but I need confirmation that the booking is cancelled, which I haven't received yet.

But I have paid for the booking and the owner has been paid and in theory rent these points again if we can't re-book by May 2021?

Sam
samhartwell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

You'd also unlikely to be able to resume the credit of points as availability is likely to be limited for that hotel that is usually fully booked.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

The owner could rent those points again, either at that resort or any of the resorts in WDW.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
samhartwell
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
You'd also unlikely to be able to resume the credit of points as availability is likely to be limited for that hotel that is usually fully booked.
yes that's my worry, also I can't really commit to booking any flights right now given the current travel advice.

I will wait and see what DVC rental come back with but just wondering from a n owners perspective what happens to those bookings that cannot be honored due to covid-19 closure (do they really have to be used in that period of time ie up to June 2021 for that owner or is there flexibility?)

Sam
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
samhartwell
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
The owner could rent those points again, either at that resort or any of the resorts in WDW.
yes so then they get paid to rent these points twice?
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Did you paid by credit card? IF you did I would wait for DVC rental to cancel you and then ask for a full refund. If they refuse go for a section 75 refund. Your insurance company will expect you to try this first.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by samhartwell View Post
So we rented points (with DVC rental) this was our first time and the dates of travel were June 27 staying at the grand californian villas

As of now we cannot travel but also Disneyland and the hotel is closed

I contacted the DVC rental and they have said happy to give us a credit to use until May 31 2021 (June use year) BUT its very unlikely that we can go that early in the year.

One option I have is to cancel the DVC booking and claim through travel insurance - but then would the DVC owner be able to use their points and in effect get paid twice?

I don't necessarily want a refund from DVC just the ability to re-book but later in the year

Thanks

Sam
Hi Sam,

So sorry and I wouldn't cancel the DVC reservation and leave it for Disney to cancel.

Firstly if you cancel now then as you say the owner would have been paid, possibly 70% and still have all the points to rebook for themselves or re-rent.

By not cancelling then if the GCV is still close then Disney would refund the points back into the owners account and depending on the points use-year might be extended. Read the following link below and ask the question, what use-year were the points used for your reservation and if June 2020 can those points be banked into use-year 1 June 2021 to 31 May 2022.

Also, by keeping the reservation then if the GCV did open and the owner cancelled he will be breaking the contract.

If they did open then you might then be able to claim off your insurance as you can't fly into the States.

Anyway there might be better suggestions from other members so good luck and check out disneyvacationclub.disney.go...l-information/

Where it states...

Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy

As part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring Points. April, June, and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year

Points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date.

Additionally, April, June, and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year Points that were banked into 2019 and used for these reservations will now expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring Points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
samhartwell
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Br'er Bear View Post
Hi Sam,

So sorry and I wouldn't cancel the DVC reservation and leave it for Disney to cancel.

Firstly if you cancel now then as you say the owner would have been paid, possibly 70% and still have all the points to rebook for themselves or re-rent.

By not cancelling then if the GCV is still close then Disney would refund the points back into the owners account and depending on the points use-year might be extended. Read the following link below and ask the question, what use-year were the points used for your reservation and if June 2020 can those points be banked into use-year 1 June 2021 to 31 May 2022.

Also, by keeping the reservation then if the GCV did open and the owner cancelled he will be breaking the contract.

If they did open then you might then be able to claim off your insurance as you can't fly into the States.

Anyway there might be better suggestions from other members so good luck and check out disneyvacationclub.disney.go...l-information/

Where it states...

Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy

As part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring Points. April, June, and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year

Points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date.

Additionally, April, June, and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year Points that were banked into 2019 and used for these reservations will now expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring Points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29.
Thanks so much

Sam