Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jul 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Insurance

So to cut a long story short we go on holiday in fours weeks but I've just been let out of hospital having had my gall bladder removed and still recovering from pancreatitis. Our insurance which we've had in place since holiday was booked has refused to cover my gallbladder even though I don't have one anymore or the pancreatitis. They've agreed to cover the cancellation costs but after a rubbish year (house fire and my dad passing away) we don't want to cancel the holiday as I really think my children might just go mad so I need your recommendations for insurance companies that will cover me to go on holiday. Drs have said that I'm good to fly

Thanks
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
There have been quite a few similar threads recently and to be perfectly honest very few insurer's will cover you which always seems crazy if your Consultant confirms you are fit to fly. Most will not cover you for 10/12 weeks after any operation which included a GA due to the risk of DVT and other complications that could arise. You will be able to get cover that excludes anything that can be deemed connected to your Gallbladder operation but while it is a personal decision it is quite a risk to fly to USA without insurance to cover any eventuality.

This is one reason we did not go to USA for over 3 years as I had a series of operations and recoveries and until the final one in January I did not know if one of the problems was fixed so could not take the risk of problems arising and not having cover. I tried various insurance companies but they all wanted to exclude that condition and would not cover until 12 weeks after each operation.

I know this doesn't really help but hopefully someone who has been successful will comment soon. Have tried to link recent thread but not working but if you search Insurance after Surgery it should come up - posted on 3/7 by Cliftonite.

Edited at 08:04 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
I wouldn't go without cover but I will keep looking and hopefully find someone that will cover me
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
welovemushu
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

No idea if you are ' too soon' after surgery, that is probably the main problem, but we are covered with Boots after my DH has a pretty rough winter ending with major bowel surgery . I tried most of them online (including boots after they were recommended on here) and no cover . It was different again when I called them, their questions are pretty comprehensive, might be worth a phone call? (Apologies if you have already done so). Hope you recovery well and quickly xxx
welovemushu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post

I would contact a broker and see if they can help, Adrian Flux is a broker than I have used successfully for non standard insurance situations and they did find cover for my dad when he had cancer.

However, I also think you might need to reconcile with cancelling and at least being reimbursed. From the insurance companies point of view the potential medical costs if something happens would dwarf the refund costs so their stance does seem reasonable.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List