Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 5 Mar 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
squish
Excited about Disney

Exclamation Is the wedding legal in UK?

Evening
This has been stressing me out all day since I called our local Registry office and they put the fear of doom into me, telling me to strongly reconsider getting married in Florida!

If we have our ceremony over there, which includes getting the license from the court house, do we need to do anything once we are back to make it legal here? Or beforehand...

The lady on the phone was telling me that it is not legal here, I cannot have two wedding ceremony's and I may run into difficulties in the future?!?

Put my mind at rest please x
squish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
blondie28143
Very Serious Dibber

I hope not. Or the vows I took 10 years ago mean nothing. 🤣🤣
We have never had a problem with regards to our marriage license. I have used it to change my name at banks, drivers license/passport etc.
I'm sure others will come on here and say the same. 😊

blondie28143 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by blondie28143 View Post
I hope not. Or the vows I took 10 years ago mean nothing. 🤣🤣
We have never had a problem with regards to our marriage license. I have used it to change my name at banks, drivers license/passport etc.
I'm sure others will come on here and say the same. 😊
We'll have been married 15 years in May and have never had any issues with our marriage certificate. We made sure we paid for extra copies when we got married. I do seem to recall someone at work trying to panic me not long before our wedding by saying we had to get something notarised but I think I made some enquiries and found it wasn't needed.
Old 5 Mar 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
steruth
VIP Dibber

We got married there 14 years ago. Not a problem here using certificate to change passport name and banks etc xx
Old 5 Mar 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
squish
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much to both of you! I still feel uneasy for some reason, I just don't know why she would have said that to me!? odd. She even asked, "do you plan on moving to America?" DP loved that one (he really wants to)
squish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
squish
Excited about Disney

I guess I just assumed that you would have to have a ceremony over here too? Everyone I know who has got married in Europe has done this so I thought the same
Old 5 Mar 19, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

As long as you follow the rules over there when you get married it's legal over here. There's some info on gov.uk
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

If it helps I just looked on this Government website regarding getting married abroad, if getting married in USA and following all their rules your marriage is recognized here

gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/usa/opposite_sex
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

DS and D-i-l got married in NYC, they recently had to produce their marriage certificate when applying for a new mortgage and there were no problems with the bank accepting it.
Old 5 Mar 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'd actually file a complaint about the woman in the registry office telling such a barefaced lie.
Imagine someone remarrying without getting divorced because she told them it wasn't legal anyway. The law tends to frown on bigamy.

Edited at 11:50 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List