Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 May 20, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HeresYourEars View Post
That stuff is to pass on to law-enforcement just in case they want to check it.
It is not. That information is not passed on to anyone and is not verified unless a passenger is sent to secondary screening and they have a reason to doubt their intent. At that point they can and sometimes do confiscate your luggage, phone, laptop etc... and they can call the employer given or use your mother's maiden name to verify your identity and make sure it is the correct John Smith they are dealing with.

The approval process is automated and unless someone is on a watch or wanted list their details are not forwarded anywhere.

People get so scared of the ESTA process as it is so regulars on the forum try to demystify the process because the fear causes people to make silly mistakes which can be very costly if it means they have to go down the visa route as a result. The last thing we want is people overthinking their job title or mother's maiden name because they believe it is being sent to law enforcement or the IRS or the FBI or whatever rumor floats about the internet
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
It is not. That information is not passed on to anyone and is not verified unless a passenger is sent to secondary screening and they have a reason to doubt their intent. At that point they can and sometimes do confiscate your luggage, phone, laptop etc... and they can call the employer given or use your mother's maiden name to verify your identity and make sure it is the correct John Smith they are dealing with.

The approval process is automated and unless someone is on a watch or wanted list their details are not forwarded anywhere.

People get so scared of the ESTA process as it is so regulars on the forum try to demystify the process because the fear causes people to make silly mistakes which can be very costly if it means they have to go down the visa route as a result. The last thing we want is people overthinking their job title or mother's maiden name because they believe it is being sent to law enforcement or the IRS or the FBI or whatever rumor floats about the internet
It actually is absolutely true that if law enforcement requested that information from Homeland Security or the State Department they could obtain it. Easily. Do they usually need it? Not at all.

I’ve been trying to attach the pertinent statement from DHS but it won’t upload.

Edited to add: No one should feel afraid of the process. The questions they ask aren’t difficult.

Edited at 08:18 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It actually is absolutely true that if law enforcement requested that information from Homeland Security or the State Department they could obtain it. Easily. Do they usually need it? Not at all.

I’ve been trying to attach the pertinent statement from DHS but it won’t upload.

Edited to add: No one should feel afraid of the process. The questions they ask aren’t difficult.
Just a thought Mary.

Newcomer to the DIBB and live in Virginia. Do hubby or you work in that enormous five sided office building? I keep asking you if you know anybody in Pennsylvania Avenue.

Mick
Old 30 May 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Just a thought Mary.

Newcomer to the DIBB and live in Virginia. Do hubby or you work in that enormous five sided office building? I keep asking you if you know anybody in Pennsylvania Avenue.

Mick
Mick,

I worked for the federal government for 32 years. Hubby does currently. Some of that was in that building, including on 9-11.
Fortunately I do not know the current occupant on Pennsylvania Avenue. 😂
Regarding ESTA applications and such, I know what I’m talking about. My son works for the government in that capacity.

Mary
Old 30 May 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Mick,

I worked for the federal government for 32 years. Hubby does currently. Some of that was in that building, including on 9-11.
Regarding ESTA applications and such, I know what I’m talking about. My son works for the government in that capacity.

Mary
Mary

Since ESTAs were introduced in Jan 2009 we've had live ones so maybe 6 or 7 in total.

I have said on here a number of times over the years that the provision of your parent's name is just a second layer of security. In other words only something you would know. So if there was an immigration issue they might ask that question. It at least links the passport holder with an ESTA question. My opinion anyway.

Mick
Old 30 May 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
linnite
Imagineer

This thread prompted me to get the one ESTA of our family's that had run out.

£11-odd worse off if we end up choosing not to go, or are prevented from going, but we will use it anyway later on.

Agree about the nerves - was rushing through and stopped myself - take your time! If you mess it up there seems no way back other than apply for a visa.

Pending authorisation but then positive result about 20 mins later, like others

Nov '01 - I-Drive ... May '09 - DL Paris ... Aug '11 - Pop ... Aug '13 - SSR ... Aug '15 - A/S Music + HRH ... Aug '17 - RPR,CBR,AKL ... Feb '18 - Cabana Bay ... Feb '19 - Aventura + A/S Sports ... Dec '21 Dolphin and HRH... Aug '23 Surfside and A/S Music... Feb '24 Surfside
linnite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by linnite View Post
This thread prompted me to get the one ESTA of our family's that had run out.

£11-odd worse off if we end up choosing not to go, or are prevented from going, but we will use it anyway later on.

Agree about the nerves - was rushing through and stopped myself - take your time! If you mess it up there seems no way back other than apply for a visa.

Pending authorisation but then positive result about 20 mins later, like others
Up to the renewal in 2018 ours were approved instantly but according to Dibbers over maybe the last 18 months most come back pending. Approval can be anything between 20 minutes and 72 hours - this is when nerves kick in

But as you say you're good for 2 years unless you get a new P/P

Mick

Edited at 09:30 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Mick,

Mary
Mary

Another popular debate on here at the moment is the serious warning on the ESTA home page which, to cut it down a little, says "if you attempt to travel your ESTA will be cancelled".

The regular question on here since Donald stopped us going is whether doing Advance Passenger Information on your airline web site is deemed an "attempt to travel". Could your son provide a definitive answer please then we can put lots of Dibber's minds to rest.

When things get back to normal you'll see at least 50 questions a week in travel planning about ESTAs on here

Mick
Old 30 May 20, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Mary

Another popular debate on here at the moment is the serious warning on the ESTA home page which, to cut it down a little, says "if you attempt to travel your ESTA will be cancelled".

The regular question on here since Donald stopped us going is whether doing Advance Passenger Information on your airline web site is deemed an "attempt to travel". Could your son provide a definitive answer please then we can put lots of Dibber's minds to rest.

When things get back to normal you'll see at least 50 questions a week in travel planning about ESTAs on here

Mick
Mick, I’ll run that by him ASAP.

Mary
Old 31 May 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Mick, I’ll run that by him ASAP.

Mary
Thanks Mary

I've been reading about 90% of ESTA questions on here for the past 11 years and replying to loads. I've searched the FAQs a zillion times over the years to try to answer factually. I've even copied and pasted the big red warning box a few times.

One of the biggest DIBB questions has been "do I print?". Quite a few Dibbers have been asked at UK airport check-in for a print out which of course they shouldn't be but the ESTA site recommends that you do (or a phone screen shot)

We have our sparkling new ones printed ready for November but in the 17 or 18 times we've travelled since Jan 09 we've never been asked

Mick