Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jun 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
peter+lynne
Imagineer

peter+lynne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
surfshark vpn etc

hi has anyone used these to get cheaper holidays?

do they work on virgin holidays and virgin atlantic or just price comparison sites ?

thanks Peter
2015 residence inn seaworld
2016 Norfolk broads
2017 residence inn seaworld
peter+lynne is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Why do they give toy cheaper holidays?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Why do they give toy cheaper holidays?
I'm guessing (if it's true) that it's because some companies base their pricing on the location they think you are booking from.

So, for example, if the site thinks you are booking from "Country A" then you may be chanrged less than if booking from "Country B".

Using a VPN you can "pretend" you are in a different country from where you really are.

Some people use a VPN to also access TV content in a different country. So , for example, if you were on holiday in FL you may not be able to access some BBC programmes because you are out of the UK but by establishing a VPN connection back to the UK you are not in danger of missing Eastenders or the latest football when it is on.

There may be legal issues why you shoudn't do these things - this is meant to be a technical explanation.
Old 1 Jun 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MatJohnson
Proud to wear my Ears

The theory is that the more you search for flights on comparison sites like Kayak or easyjet then they think that demand is high. Because of this, it's suspected that the prices increase the more you search.
MatJohnson is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I think they have a free weeks trial, I only noticed this after I'd paid, they are good though and I got my money back because it slowed my connection. There's a good offer for them on HUKD.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MatJohnson View Post
The theory is that the more you search for flights on comparison sites like Kayak or easyjet then they think that demand is high. Because of this, it's suspected that the prices increase the more you search.
Using a VPN will do absolutely zero to change that behaviour. On a VPN you will still have an IP address (just not your normal one) and cookies are still stored on your machine as they would be if you were not on a VPN.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Uses for a VPN really are:

1. Changing the location where a website / service believes you are
2. Stopping your ISP from seeing what you are doing (e.g. peer to peer sharing)
3. Working around any blocking that your ISP / Country has put in place
4. On public wifi stopping other users seeing your data and capturing data or doing man in the middle attacks
5. Accessing corporate systems as part of security (usually using their own VPN's)

Using a VPN is not going to affect any pricing systems based on volumes / cookie tracking etc. The example used about different prices for different locations would be a valid use.

Please don't waste your money on a VPN that claims otherwise, they are just scamming you.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List