Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Jul 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
susie
Imagineer

susie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
St Lucia?

With having 2 Orlando holidays cancelled this year we have given up and are now looking for an all inclusive in the Caribbean, we have looked at st Lucia and Dominican republic but we prefer st Lucia, can anyone who has stayed there give us any advice, we are really nervous as we haven't been before and worried we will pick the wrong place to stay or pick the wrong Caribbean island lol, any help greatly appreciated, thank you

susie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, we have been to both, and although the dominican was a while ago it didn't feel as safe as St.Lucia.

we stayed at Coconut beach, that is the south of the island not more than 10 mins from the airport. was lovely, it has 1/2 the site for families, the other 1/2 was adults only. and while we did go with the boys it was nice to have a couples massage and a little time away from the children.

the main hub of the island is north and west. we hired a car for a couple of days to explore. to be honest we did not need much longer than 2 days! it is safe and beutiful, but still a small island!
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Proud to wear my Ears

Spent my honeymoon at Sandals in St. Lucia, absolutely fantastic.
You land on the other side of the island (southern) where the main airport is and much of the resorts and the busier side of the island is to the north west of the island (Castries and Gros Islet) where much of the nicer beaches are. The drive from the main airport is a bit hairy as the roads are windy and narrow.
I never felt unsafe, we walked around castries market and the cruise ship terminal along Pigeon island, which is a nice park. Just practice normal safety, like not going out late or alone and minimising what valuables you display. Locals were quite friendly once you engaged with them.
The Sandals experience is different though, as it is fully inclusive and you need not ever leave your resort (and you can visit all 3 sandals resorts with a regular bus service between the resorts), but this was not too much our style, so we took the island speed boat tour (fantastic) along with some other activities.
In fact I would quite like to return
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

St Lucia is a lovely island!
Which hotels are you looking at?
The south of the island is stunning and has the famous Pitons and jade mountain hotel ( look it up)
The north of the island has some good beaches and you can do a boat trip to the south which I would recommend
If money is no object I would say sugar beach!
If you are trying to keep costs down and are happy with a livelier hotel - st James club
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
susie
Imagineer

susie's Reviews
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
St Lucia is a lovely island!
Which hotels are you looking at?
The south of the island is stunning and has the famous Pitons and jade mountain hotel ( look it up)
The north of the island has some good beaches and you can do a boat trip to the south which I would recommend
If money is no object I would say sugar beach!
If you are trying to keep costs down and are happy with a livelier hotel - st James club
We have looked at coconut bay beach resort and st James club, when I checked excursions with British airways they didnt do any from coconut bay which we did wonder why, I think we will carry on looking at other hotels and check out Antigua as well, thank you.

susie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by susie View Post
We have looked at coconut bay beach resort and st James club, when I checked excursions with British airways they didnt do any from coconut bay which we did wonder why, I think we will carry on looking at other hotels and check out Antigua as well, thank you.
No problem - Rendezvous is worth looking at too

Coconut bay is not in the best location for the excursions that’s probably why
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Mobile

There are plenty of Caribbean islands to choose from and they are all different - I can recommend
St lucia - volcanic island, great scenery, only downside is the airport is 1.5hrs from the resorts
Antigua - 365 beaches, really relaxed,
Barbados - very "english" some top notch restaurants, great to explore
Bahamas - american "feel" loads to do - better for summer time as its a touch cool in the winter
Turks and Caicos - amazing beaches and fabulous for diving
Grenada - probably our favourite - love the Sandals here but the island is so friendly and the most "caribbean" in feel
Jamaica - some amazing resorts and very geared to tourists. Personally would not go exploring here but im sure some do

Or

You could do a caribbean cruise and visit a number of them! Howver cruising probably isnt going to get going again until next year

Given the choice I would go to Grenada
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Not technically Caribbean but I would definitely say Bermuda is worth a visit depending on what month you are looking at
Old 13 Jul 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
susie
Imagineer

susie's Reviews
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Not technically Caribbean but I would definitely say Bermuda is worth a visit depending on what month you are looking at
We are looking at going begining of dec so will need to check if it's still warm, thank you

Old 13 Jul 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
susie
Imagineer

susie's Reviews
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
There are plenty of Caribbean islands to choose from and they are all different - I can recommend
St lucia - volcanic island, great scenery, only downside is the airport is 1.5hrs from the resorts
Antigua - 365 beaches, really relaxed,
Barbados - very "english" some top notch restaurants, great to explore
Bahamas - american "feel" loads to do - better for summer time as its a touch cool in the winter
Turks and Caicos - amazing beaches and fabulous for diving
Grenada - probably our favourite - love the Sandals here but the island is so friendly and the most "caribbean" in feel
Jamaica - some amazing resorts and very geared to tourists. Personally would not go exploring here but im sure some do

Or

You could do a caribbean cruise and visit a number of them! Howver cruising probably isnt going to get going again until next year

Given the choice I would go to Grenada
Thank you, brilliant list will check out Grenada, thanks again